“Great place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Fortunate Cup

The Fortunate Cup
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Child-friendly, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Free Wifi, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Clifton Park, NY
“Great place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2012

Went to this place for the first time last Saturday. They had a nice cafe lunch menu but my sister and I were in the mood for a latte and something sweet. I ordered a mocha latte and a piece of crumb cake and sister ordered a cappucino and a scone. The coffees were served in a fairly large glass mug and we ordered mediums! The foam on top was thick and wonderfully done. Coffee was rich but not bitter. Way better than a Starbucks mocha. The sweets were surprisingly delicious. My crumb cake was moist and flavorful. My sister's scone was filled with white chocolate and raspberry pieces. She said she wasn't going to finish it, but she did. Sometimes, the cakes and scones at coffee shops are not very good, but this place got it right. I will definitely go back again and I'm going to bring other friends. I'd like to try a panini or wrap for lunch some time. I love the decor in the place and it's different from other coffee shops. Also have a drive-thru, which is nice for those in a hurry. Glad we stopped in!

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank Jilbear
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

United States
“The curse of Saratoga continues”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2011

Saratoga Springs, where I spend my summers teaching at Skidmore College, is a fun town, but God, how it needs a great espresso place! Basically, you have three choices: bland coffee, which is in plentiful supply at a number of espresso places downtown, battery acid at Uncommon Grounds, and Starbuck’s.

So it was with some excitement that discovered The Fortunate Cup. Getting into the parking lot in the rear is a challenge, since there is almost no warning if you are driving north on West Avenue, so you’re likely to enter the exit lane by mistake, as I did.

Then you walk up a flight of stairs in a building that feels like a place in an office park where you might see a dentist.

Everything in the café is new and sparkling; the floor space is huge, and the place is nicely laid out and decorated. And the espresso machine was not some cheap plastic thing that should cause anyone to turn around and leave. So I was hopeful.

My cappuccino had very well-crafted foam, and it looked inviting. Until I tasted it. Put “The Fortunate Cup” in the bland coffee category. Honestly, it’s not worth the trip.

God knows how much the owner has shelled out for initial investment, not to mention rent, food and coffee, pay for employees, and other overhead. So why didn’t they also invest in superlative beans? (Like, say, Caffe d’Arte or Lighthouse, or any discriminating roaster in New York State.)

Given its somewhat distant location from downtown, it’s hard to know whether The Fortunate Cup will still exist a year from now. Certainly, no espresso place ever went out of business due to poor espresso. (Just walk over to Uncommon Grounds!) And sadly, excellent espresso alone can’t save a business, as the demise of Kick Start in Columbus proves. So "The Fortunate Cup” (really annoying name) will live and die based on selling its image and capturing enough customer traffic from the nearby condos. I don’t think that’s enough, really.

Visited July 2011