All reviews watkins glen beds were comfortable finger lakes seneca lake spent nights a great home base would stay here again beautiful area west side perfect location enjoyed our stay mini fridge great view of the lake wine tour my wife and i motel style owners were friendly
Reviewed 31 July 2017

We just returned from our 3-day stay at the Golden Knight Inn and were pleased with our accommodations. The rooms are clean, the beds are comfortable, the amenities (air conditioning, fridge, freezer, wi-fi, TV, etc) worked properly and all for a reasonable rate. The Inn is high on the hill overlooking Seneca Lake and its picturesque rolling hillside. We were there mainly for a family reunion and booked 9 of the hotel's rooms. As the pictures show, each unit has 2 chairs and a table on the porch, so we could gather together outside our rooms while enjoying the view, snacks, & the great company! There are 2 picnic tables and plenty of shady lawn to set up games for the kids. The Inn is less than 15 minutes outside of the town so it was a quick trip down and back as often as we wanted. While there, we met other couples who were frequent visitors to the Inn. The Golden Knight Inn is motel style so our car was parked right outside our door. This was extremely convenient (we didn't have to lug all our gear & goodies up/down several floors). The owners were very accommodating. If our room wasn't booked, we requested & were granted early afternoon checkout instead of 11am. All in all, everyone was satisfied & we had a great time together! This was our first visit to Watkins Glen and the Golden Knight Inn. We will be back as there is much to see & do, and the Inn provided a great home base.

Room tip: For better views, request a room in the front. There is a lot of heavy traffic on the road. For a quieter room, ask for rooms on the side.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank SapphireGirl51
Reviewed 27 July 2017 via mobile

This was my first trip to Seneca lake. Motel was in a perfect location on the west side of the lake and was a great jumping off point for each days adventure. The room was clean, had a microwave, mini fridge and coffee pot. Not to mention I had a great view of the lake from my room. The owners were friendly and very accommodating. I will definitely plan to stay here again next year!

Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank 219michelleo
GKinnkeeper, Owner at Golden Knight Inn and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2017

Thank-you for staying with us, we certainly enjoyed having you as our guests and look forward to having you stay with us next year. Do call early, for best room selection!

Reviewed 17 July 2017

I feel like I could write three reviews for our stay... one for the innkeepers, and one for each of the rooms we stayed in on our two night visit. We were celebrating our anniversary and looking forward to a nice, relaxing weekend away. While we tried to remain kind and friendly, and the innkeepers were aware of how we felt about our stay, we would not stay here again. Actually I think that this set a negative tone for our weekend but we tried our best to remain upbeat. This was not our first choice for lodging but because of the busy weekend it was all we could find.

When we checked in they said they didn't have a reservation for us even though we booked on Booking.com over two weeks earlier. This is not what you want to hear at 9:00pm when you've driven several hours to get to your destination. They had missed our booking somehow and sold the room we were supposed to stay in. They were very apologetic. They did have a room available for the night but it was different than the one we booked. At that point I just wanted a bed to sleep in so we took the room and then had to switch rooms the next day. The joke was that, "We'd be saving money because the room with the king + double bed was cheaper." No discount was offered, only some Hershey kisses for our troubles, which was a nice gesture, but didn't quite cut it.

The first room they put us in was very outdated with dark paneling and a wall by the sink that I thought someone would be able to knock over if they leaned against it. It had a stale, musty smell. The carpet had probably not been replaced in decades and felt gross under my bare feet so I had to wear flip-flops inside. You could hear everything from the rooms on either side, and you could hear footsteps in our room and others. The mini fridge also had a foul odor as it was not turned on or cold. There was a ring of scum around the drain in the sink. There were too many objects crammed into this small space. The rate was increased because of the Wine Festival, and I would never have paid $145 for a room of this quality had it not been for the mistake.

The next day we were placed into the room we actually booked and it was nicer. The 2 king beds were comfortable and the room was brighter and bigger. The traffic noise from Rt 14 did not bother me. We were told there would be a view of the lake, but truly the motel is too far from the lake to make any difference in view. Plus, there was a house directly across from our motel room so we couldn't see the lake anyway. This room was $169, which is pricey in my opinion, but we didn't have a lot of options as most places had no vacancy.

The innkeepers are friendly and were helpful when we asked about fishing spots and a place to eat. I wish we would have gotten a discount or some other compensation for the mistake. Had I known the quality of the first room we were given, I would have cancelled and tried to find somewhere else, even if we had to drive a littler farther to get to Watkins Glen. We knew from the beginning that this was a "no frills" motel and that was fine with us. Not having continental breakfast is not a deal breaker, but the condition of the room and the price of the room was not something we are willing to do again.

Room tip: Choose a "lake view" room, not a room on north side. The front rooms are nicer.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank Chickenlady33

This reservation was booked through Booking.com and this is what we found out recently about Booking.coms’ booking system. When a reservation is made on the booking.com website an immediate confirmation is sent to the guest confirming your room from them even though you are not staying with them. Then an email and a text is supposed to be sent to the lodging facility you are booking, notifying them of the reservation. There is no confirmation process that occurs between the facility and Booking.com. When we do receive the notification, we take a deposit, which is clearly stated during the booking process and we send a confirmation directly to the guest from our facility. We never received this confirmation reservation email or text from booking.com that was sent to them. We only found the reservation on Booking.coms’ internal billing schedule when we did a search for that day, after they came to check-in. They did not have a confirmation from us, which in all fairness, they didn’t expect to get one, nor any history of a deposit, which should have served as a red flag to them. It wasn’t that we overlooked it or gave the room away. It was the first time in over 5 years, a booking.com reservation did not make it into our system. As it was a busy weekend and late on a Friday night with minimal availability, we believed them when they said they would be fine if they had a king size bed. The room was paneled, but trust me the carpet had just been shampooed and the sink was clean. If I had known there were so many concerns at play, much more than just a king size bed, which they did say was comfortable, I would have helped them find something more suited to their taste. We accommodated them as best we could, given the circumstances. They were asking about places to go fishing and we were happy to give them all the area information we had. At check-out, they said the first room did not meet their expectations. They did not tell us this when they entered the room, nor did they go back to Booking.com and request a different room at another facility. This has clearly demonstrated a flaw in the Booking.com reservation process as there is no verification procedure between the facility and Booking.com. That your reservation has been verified at the place where you are staying. Your entire stay rests on a simple email and text.Any discount that could have been given was already being paid as a commission to a booking service that the guest chose to use to book the room. It is always best to book direct with the facility that you are staying at so you do not have any issues. Had you called me directly and booked it with me. I would have understood your needs and chances are good that there would have been a much happier outcome.

Reviewed 18 June 2017

Girlfriend booked a room from 6/16 to 6/17/2017. Was told the suite was the only room left but since girlfreind was a previous cutomer, she would discount the room. Discounted room $10.00, not even 10%.

Room tip: Do not choose #217. Bath tiles filthy. 1950,s plumbing. Overpriced at $130+tax
Date of stay: June 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank jamesmeggison
GKinnkeeper, Owner at Golden Knight Inn and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2017

The room in question, is a large room with a king size bed, love seat, 2 chairs, with ottomans, desk, Wi-Fi router refrigerator, microwave, hair dryer, electric fireplace, iron and board, a large outside vanity, a second sink inside the bathroom as well as a tub/ shower combination. Yes, the tiles are vintage, but, I assure you they were clean and the plumbing works. If you did not like the room, I wish you had come down to the office and talked to me directly giving me an opportunity to rectify the situation. Proclaiming it on social media does little to improve your experience or inform me of any problems. I am truly sorry that you felt so badly that you found it necessary to write this review instead of talking to me. We work very hard to develop a good customer relationship and apologize for falling so short. But, it is difficult to satisfy a guest who only communicates through online social media. I do know that the day you checked out another couple checked in to the room for a 5 day stay and thoroughly enjoyed it. I would invite you to come back again and let me try to make this up to you in some way. Thank-you for staying with us.

Reviewed 17 May 2017 via mobile

The golden knight inn is my annual place to stay. Mrs Henry is super friendly and accommodating
The rooms are always sparkling clean ,beds super comfortable.
If your looking for high tech and
Glitz and glamor not your place but I always stay here I give this place 2 thumbs up. Most highly recommended

Date of stay: May 2017