“Disappointing for a Radisson”

Radisson Hotel Rochester Riverside
Ranked #14 of 31 Hotels in Rochester
Cork
“Disappointing for a Radisson”
Reviewed 21 April 2012

We stayed here for one night in a family room with 2 large beds for one night only en route to NY from Canada. To be honest for a Radisson it was fairly average. The place felt old and a little grimy. The room was way too small. We could hardly move once we had hauled in our luggage. Other than that it was OK, just nothing stood out. Breakfast was not complimentary and was expensive. The staff in the hotel restaurant refused to warm up some food for us for our daughter in the microwave, as it was 'against federal law'. Give me a break. Won't be returning.

1 Thank CorkDara
MichaelMarsch, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Rochester Riverside, responded to this review, 23 April 2012
Thank you for the feedback that you provided regarding your recent stay at our property! I am disappointed that you were not satisfied with your room or breakfast experience. I have addressed these concerns with our team and I am confident that we will exceed your expectations during your next stay at our property. Please contact me directly so that I may personally make your room reservations the next time you are in town. Safe Travels!
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
  • Korean first
Central, NY
Reviewed 17 April 2012

I stayed at the Radisson for a wedding and the hotel and staff were great. Check in and out was quick and the rooms were comfortable.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank MMSS
MichaelMarsch, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Rochester Riverside, responded to this review, 20 April 2012
Thank you for the feedback that you provided regarding your recent stay at our property! We are glad that you enjoyed the wedding that you attended and look forward to your next visit to our property!
Rochester
Reviewed 17 April 2012

This is our 5th year having Easter Brunch at the Radisson Hotel Rochester Riverside. We are never dissappointed great food, comfortable atmosphere, and lots for the the kids to do. This year they had a great Easter Bunny that came aroound to each table, kids loved it! See you next Easter or maybe Mothers Day!

1 Thank Deanna614
Thank you for your recent feedback on our Easter Brunch! We are glad that you enjoyed you and your family enjoyed themselves and look forward to seeing you on Mother's Day!
Austin, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed 16 April 2012

One night we arrived back at the hotel late, and discovered our room had not been made up yet. We called down to the front desk, and Dan got the supplies himself and came up to make our beds and put out clean towels in his 3-piece suit! He also offered us free breakfast at the hotel restaurant as well as free parking validation. Thanks, Dan!
Also, Crystal in the restaurant was very attentive to us. She was an excellent server both mornings we ate breakfast there.

Room Tip: there is no indoor pool or sauna, but I'm sure the outdoor pool will be delightful in the summer...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Thank you so much for the feedback that you provided regarding your stay! I apologize for your inconvenience and am glad that both Dan and Crystal took extra special care of you during your stay! We look forward to your next trip to Rochester! Safe Travels!
Brewster, New York
Reviewed 11 April 2012

We spent 2 nights in a King Room (1222) over Easter Weekend 2012. I had called the hotel directly, as I find it more efficient to deal directly with the people actually operating the place. However, once I mentioned that I was calling to make a reservation, I was quickly told to "hold on" and then transferred to a 6 min. wait, ultimately being connected to Radisson's central reservations. I asked the woman where she was...and it was in the midwest. She was pleasant as I asked her specific questions, such as "Can I reserve a river view room?" She said that she would make note of my request, but couldn't guarantee it. Long story short....I was told that the only room with a single king was an upgraded one located on what they called the Club Level (read: exclusive, executive type rooms.) Of course, it was more expensive, but she assured me that was because it had a kitchenette and was a more luxurious room, and marble bath (according to their website) and came with special perks such as access to the Executive Lounge area, continental breakfast and newspapers. So, I bit.

Google maps of this address delivers you to the backside/loading dock/ underground parking lot area of the hotel....NOT the front door. We had quite a nerve wracking time driving around and around until we FINALLY got to the right place. Very poor signage - no "Radisson" sign on street level.

Check in went smoothly. We requested extra coffee and pillows, which were delivered within 10 minutes. The room was a disappointment. It was no larger, more luxurious, etc. than most other rooms we've stayed in. We felt we had been sold a "bill of goods" by the central reservations desk. Our room looked out on a parking lot - no river view. The "kitchenette" was nothing more than a single cup coffee machine, a small microwave/mini fridge piece of furniture next to the dresser. The bathroom was completely standard, save for a stone (granite, not marble) sink counter. The sink faucet was not mounted properly and listed to the left - and the hot water handle was mounted uneven to the right (shabby installation job). There was no fan in the bathroom (!!) and the popcorn ceiling was completely sagging over the shower head area due to excess moisture....DUH...ya think? (I reported this to the main desk.) Linens were lush, plentiful, and blindingly WHITE -- very , very, clean bath room. Important to us.

The noise from the elevators drove us nuts. (I have to admit, we're light sleepers, though.) Do not take any room near the elevator shafts. We managed by turning on the AC/Heat unit FAN to create white noise to help us sleep. It worked perfectly.

The room featured one of those "Sleep Number" mattresses. Fun, we thought. Until we tried to use it -- because the control module for it had a broken display...so you couldn't see what your "sleep number" was. We just played with it until we figured it out. I have to admit, it was a nice bed to sleep in. Linens/bedspreads/pillows -- all A+. Room was IMMACULATELY CLEAN.

Had a great laugh....the remote for the TV must had needed new batteries. Basically you had to stand in front of it to use the remote effectively. But the REAL laugh was opening up the little leatherette book on the desk to try and find a channel guide (because, unlike most other places...there was no TV Channel guide available on the TV itself!) Well, I finally found it, and had a BLAST scribbling out/correcting the printed guide, as none of the channels listed corresponded to the actually channels they were on.....as well as adding about 5 channels that weren't even found on the printed listing.

The staff were professional, friendly and efficient. The place was very clean...lobby, parking area, hallways, rooms. The location is lovely....you walk out the front doors and onto a series of pedestrian walkways with sculptures that run across and parallel to the river. Very pretty!

Why didn't we ask for a different room? Heaven knows we talked about it....but, frankly, we were bushed and decided it was too late to hassle it. In the end, we just laughed at all the shortcomings we felt we'd been dealt. Oh, did I mention that our swipe keys would not allow access to all the exclusive Executive Club rooms, and the free breakfasts and newspapers ARE ONLY GIVEN OUT MON-FRI. Yes....we checked in Friday afternoon....so...WHY didn't the woman at central reservations note this when pitching this more expensive room? I felt gyped. THIS is why I call hotels directly to reserve my room...grrrrrrrr.

So....would we stay here again. Absolutely yes! We would just make sure as heck that our room was located further away from the elevators and that all the little things were working properly. I think the most important thing to say is that the room was IMMACULATELY CLEAN. To us, that means a whole lot!

Room Tip: We were in room 1222. Rooms with "22" as last 2 digits back up on the Elevators! Avoid i...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for the feedback that you provided regarding your recent stay at our property! Although we are disappointed that you had difficulty with obtaining the room type that you requested and several othr challenges, we are glad that you found our property to be immaculately clean! Our goal is to exceed all of our guest's satisfaction and we look forward to your next visit to Rochester!