All reviews blue cross arena state street covered parking area outdoor pool front desk bar and grill van driver room was clean frontier field large hotel very nice stay walking distance wi fi genesee river would stay here again arrows auditorium
Reviewed 24 August 2017 via mobile

This hotel is nothing to brag about but it's perfectly fine. It's clean enough and the staff is friendly/helpful enough. The best part about this hotel is the bar staff. Monica is a gem. The continental breakfast will give you diabetes if you stay long enough. Just think white bread, lots of it. The gym is pretty decent for a hotel gym. Great location for walking places. And the shuttle is free (excluding tip) to and from the airport which is a great plus. I would stay here again on business.

1  Thank FluteontheGo
Reviewed 15 August 2017 via mobile

I'm a flight crew member on a work overnight and have stayed at this hotel at least once before. It is one of my favorites!
PROs:
1. Van Driver! Ahmet is an extremely friendly, energetic, outgoing and helpful man...and quite entertaining! He made repeated offers to take us to local eateries or wherever we needed to go. We elected to walk to dinner but when we passed him in the lobby later (in civilian clothes) he remembered us and reminded us he'd take us anywhere, just ask. Very friendly guy and a real asset to this hotel.
2. Rooms are clean and meet the Holiday Inn standard.
3. Fridge in room with small freezer section.
4. Coffee and pastries available in lobby in morning.
5. Excellent fitness room (24 hours) with 2 modern treadmills, 2 modern ellpitical machines, a bike and some older but satisfactory free weights. The room also has ample room to use these free weights, do yoga, etc.
6. Oustanding location in downtown Rochester with easy access to restaurants and things to see.

CONs: None to report

1  Thank Ron M
Reviewed 14 August 2017 via mobile

I stayed Wednesday- Friday for a math conference. I am generally quite happy with Holiday Inns. All the ones I've stayed in have been updated nicely. I cannot comment on the cost since I was not footing the bill.

Pros: The staff that worked at the Holiday Inn were wonderful. The front desk, the breakfast buffet and the housekeeping were all great!! Loved that the pool was quiet...especially since my room was poolside. I was surprised there was a lifeguard for the pool as well. I also like the shower products (Bath and Body Works). The updated modern furniture and bathroom counter/floor were very nice and the Keurig!!

Cons: Although the furniture was updated...they basically just covered up a very old dilapidated hotel!! The sliding door out to the pool barely opened and closed. It's just so old and not really on a smooth track any longer. The lock on the slider was not locked when I got there and extremely difficult to lock, so my first night it wasn't. I did finally get it the next night. The doors were clearly original and showed their age. The newer carpet was already stained. The fridge had been turned off so was leaking a large amount of water when opened. The faucet in the bathroom was loose and jiggled around and the sink didn't drain. The wallpaper was peeling. The bathroom fan didn't work. The vent in the ceiling near the shower head was filled with dust. Last, we were quite disappointed when we got back to the hotel at 10:30pm (on a Thursday) that the restaurant and bar were already shut down.

1  Thank Erin M
Reviewed 10 August 2017

On a long car journey from Quarryville, PA, to Niagara Falls, Ontario, we decided to stop driving for the day as we approached Rochester. As the navigator for our driver, I tapped in the closest hotels with parking and the Holiday Inn downtown popped up, so we headed straight there. It's easy to find, not far off the main freeway up to Buffalo/Niagara, and while it's downtown, it's a business district, so it looked, and felt, like a safe area to walk around and leave our rental car in. We checked in on a Sunday night, so the area was extremely quiet, which was a bonus. Check-in was a breeze thanks to a super helpful member of staff, who assisted with our enquiries about eateries in the area, even handing us a print out of restaurants in the area, their full details, and how far away they were. Our rooms (two twin queens) were modern and comfortable. Pillowcases were labelled firm and soft, which is something I've never seen before, but it makes me wonder why other chains don't use this idea - genius! The bathroom needed a bit of TLC, some of the wallpaper was peeling and grubby, and the upper soap tray by the shower, but otherwise the room was immaculate. We could hear the noise of freight train horns and rumblings, as well as a concert that was happening in a nearby stadium, but by the time we went to bed at around 10.30 p.m. our sleep wasn't disturbed by it.
The hotel has it's own restaurant, out door pool, and a small gym (none of which we used). But for an overnight base I couldn't fault it. Great night's sleep and only a few turns out of the car park to hit the freeway and continue our journey to Niagara Falls.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank CJFallowfield
Reviewed 10 August 2017

I always expect a hotel room to be clean, but at this price point I didn't expect a whole lot else. But the room was huge, with a view over the outdoor pool, and the staff were friendly and helpful. We could walk everywhere we wanted to go from the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Joanne G, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Rochester Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2017

Thank you very much for sharing your recent experience with us! We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our rooms spacious and our staff friendly. Our staff looks forward to your next stay with us so we can exceed your expectations.