“Great lunch in a romantic restaurant”
Review of Pane Vino

Pane Vino
Ranked #11 of 1,468 Restaurants in Rochester
Price range: US$ 25 - US$ 100
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 24 September 2018

This is another Rochester restaurant that always delivers a really good meal. Their food is eclectic, with plenty of menu items that you just don’t find other places. They also have an outdoor dining patio located right on the Genesee River that is really nice during the warmer months. I had my standard beet salad, which they make very well, with lots of beets, farmer’s cheese and a nice mix of greens. I also couldn’t resist their lobster bisque, that was super good (although perhaps a little heavy on the salt). The waitress (Marcy) is always amazing…super-friendly and personable with everyone. This is a really great restaurant that I highly recommend to anyone downtown Rochester.

Reviewed 15 September 2018

The site--which used to be Brio, then used to be a Pomodoro, then became the worst of the three, a name I don't even remember--has finally found its true soulmate, a second Pane Vino. It's only nearby competition is the slightly more expensive Avvino, but Pane Vino has a much broader menu than Avvino. Since my wife works at Nazareth College, we eat in that area almost every Friday night and then go to a movie at the Pittsford Cinema. Since Pane Vino opened less than a week ago, their online menu is not yet available, so my description of the food might be lacking. My wife enjoyed her Caesar salad and calamari. I chose from an interesting menu that resembled a Chinese one where you choose the food base (I chose asparagus) and then ask for chicken or veal or veggie. I chose the veggie, which was a sort of an asparagus barigoule with a light tomato sauce in it. Although light on the tomatoes, it was the best sauce I've tasted in memory. My only complaint (and a very, very minor one) was that I didn't see even one tip of asparagus--only the stems. No matter. It was wonderful. And I had the house cabernet, which was also the best I've had in a long while. Although more expensive than Benucci's across the street, it was well worth it. And it leaves the slightly less expensive Monroe's far behind. The ambiance is good, and they've cut off a separate room to muffle the live music--a nice touch. The staff were fine, too. I was pleasantly surprised that the Maître D' recognized that the magazine I had open while waiting for my wife was the New Yorker.

Reviewed 5 September 2018

Having grown up in Rochester but returning after a few years away, we were looking for a relaxing place in the city with good food and charm. Look no further than this quaint Italian restaurant with a view of the Genesee River. The owner stopped by to make sure everything was acceptable. It met or surpassed our desires and the service was great. Live music was quite good, but a bit loud given the outside acoustics. We will recommend it to friends, look forward to returning and try their new place opening soon in Pittsford.

Reviewed 16 August 2018

On a beautiful summer evening we enjoyed a delicious dinner. The service was very attentive. The weather cooperated and we were able to eat outdoors overlooking the Genesee River. We selected this restaurant for our special dinner because they had a nice, reasonably generous selection of entrees. Many of them were familiar choices. However, there were some uncommon dinners. I enjoyed the lobster French, a dish I have not seen elsewhere. We look forward to the opening of their second restaurant, which will be right near our home.

Reviewed 14 August 2018

This was my first visit to Pane Vino though I had heard about it over the years. There is valet parking offered but since we went on a weekday we had no issue with on street parking. My first impression of the restaurant was the young valet attendant sitting on the front stoop vaping. He did not greet us. I communicated this to the restaurant via their Facebook page with no response.

We had a reservation and were seated promptly. There was an outside dining option but we chose inside. The decor has a rustic feel to it and I thought tastefully done. When someone brought bread to our table with a number of different topping options there was no explanation just left on the table. The waiter visited the table promptly and took our drink order. We ordered a bottle of wine. I am always amused that the waiter assumes the man should taste the wine though I was far more knowlegeable but he didn't ask. The entree portions were generous and the food was served hot with a nice presentation. Throughout the meal we had the waiter and two helpers visit our table and not once did they top off our wine glasses. This was a Wednesday night and the restaurant was not busy. We finished the meal by sharing a dessert which was delicious - peanut butter cup cheesecake.

For a fine dining experience, the food receives high marks but the restaurant needs to step up the service experience. While all were competent and polite, there was no warmth or effort to make it feel like a special night. For a $100+ meal, I expect more.