“It's a Dive and That's a Good Thing”

James Brown's Place
Ranked #91 of 1,378 Restaurants in Rochester
Price range: US$ 5 - US$ 10
Cuisines: Diner
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 20 November 2017

We did not eat breakfast here but dinner on a recent Friday night. I think they only do dinners on Fridays so call before you go.... Also they only take cash but a big bonus is BYOB - so a nice way to save a few dollars.

It was empty on a Friday night - compared to the weekend breakfast crowds we were surprised. The waitress could not have been friendlier.

We ordered the shrimp and grits which was excellent. The Smokehouse plate was heaping with ribs, chicken and pulled pork but it was a mixed success. The pulled pork was fantastic, the chicken was moist (it helps that it was the leg/thigh) and the ribs were just OK. They did not appear to be smoked - too bad.

I saw many other dishes I would order so we will be back for dinner.

Reviewed 10 November 2017 via mobile

It was Soo amazing! And the cook seems to genuinely enjoy his job! You can see him and the grill from pretty much any seat in the house. Great service. We had breakfast, pancakes, ham, etc. It all was excellent!

Reviewed 12 August 2017

If you're looking for a place that is unabashedly rough around the edges this is the place. First it's a cash only place, which I generally don't mind and can be seen as a hallmark of some of today's better places. However, the ATM machine for cash is in a dirty basement next to the laundry and the furnace. Talk about turning off a customer...

Sitting at the counter is interesting in that you get to watch all the food get prepped and generally I would say that the cooks are very competent. Although they both seem to be in a general state of irritation at all times and not very happy to be there. I wouldn't say this place is a model of cleanliness either.

The waitresses are very nice and efficient, but the kitchen is slow.

there were two of use for breakfast - one had chocolate chip pancakes and bacon (which was soggy), the other had juevos rancheros with a side of bacon (again soggy). The rancheros were swimming in grocery store salsa which ruined it.

There are better diners in town.

Reviewed 20 June 2017 via mobile

My wife and I met our kids for breakfast while visiting in Rochester. The food was outstanding and we had pleanty of left overs for home. Very reasonably priced. April, our waitress, was fantastic and made it an over the top experience. I'll definitely be back my next trip to Rochester.

Reviewed 16 June 2017

My wife is a foodie and liked to call a place such as James Brown's as a greasy spoon. It was a very crowded diner on a saturday morning(obviously) With a huge menu that took us at least 10 minutes to decide what we wanted. Very tasty food, sadly we didnt discover this place a few years ago. We will definitely be back soon.
They recently stopped taking credit cards, so bring cash. There is an ATM in the basement though.