“Great quality and delish!!”
Review of Avvino

Avvino
Ranked #57 of 1,467 Restaurants in Rochester
Price range: US$ 15 - US$ 42
Cuisines: French, Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: AVVINO opened in 2013 serving contemporary American and worldly cuisine. Chef Tim Caschette's fiercely seasonal menu showcases the restaurant's bonds with local farmers and purveyors. Janine Wasley takes the beverage program very seriously offering a carefully chosen wine list with close to 200 selections and forever changing cocktail program also taking inspiration from seasonal offerings. The restaurant offers three dining experiences: The Main Dining Room, Meyer's Den and The Patio (seasona
Reviewed 19 August 2018 via mobile

In town for the Society of Wine Educators annual conference, some friends and I hit Avvino for our free night out. Most of the tables were occupied by other SWE folks — we know how to find the good spots! The service was amazing — Ian is charismatic, knows his stuff, and somehow managed to handle the whole dining room solo! We split an bunch of apps and entrees: loved the grilled octopus (melted in the mouth!) Then the scallops over polenta (one friend had a wee bit of grit, the other felt hers was a bit under,) but I thought mine was perfection. There was a spring pea ravioli that was light and delish, and the (ginormous) duck breast was also cooked perfectly and super-tasty. Their wine list is wonderful—but DEFINITELY gamble on the Mystery Wine: for $50 you get a red that cost them at least $30, (ones they have only a bottle or two left, or maybe to make room for a new vintage,) they’re wrapped up in tissue paper and you get to open it at the table like a WINEAU CHRISTMAS! Our first one was a 2014 Cornas, and we had to snag another, a 2014 Amiot Servelle Chambolle-Musigny!! Our friends next door got a Sicilian Passopisciaro. All sooo good! I can’t recommend it enough (and as a NYC gal, the prices were way under what I would have spent for that meal at home.)

Reviewed 8 August 2018

Avvino continues to offer one of the most innovative menus on the Rochester food scene. Warm and friendly, it's one of the few places that is quiet enough to actually have a conversation with your partner. We enjoyed our 42nd anniversary dinner there last night and the food was magnificent. Our server, Amy, knew we were celebrating and pulled out all the stops to make sure it would be a memorable night. We started with the luxurious roasted bone marrow with toast points and a special dish of salmon perfectly prepared in three different ways. My homemade nettle fazzoletti with peas and fiddlehead ferns in a basil cream sauce was rich and satisfying, as was the evening's special concoction of scallops and rice with yet another delicious sauce. Our dessert choices put us over the top -- brioche monkey bread with a plum and caramel sauce for him, a rhubarb-blueberry tart with Swiss meringue for me, both served with a small scoop of ice cream (of course!). The menu is so interesting that it's hard to make choices. All the more reason to return again to this lovely restaurant.

Janine W, Owner at Avvino, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2018

Hi Marie,

Thank you for celebrating with us and thank you for the review. We are happy to hear you enjoyed everything and hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 8 July 2018

I am not a foodie and we don't get out much so there's that major caveat from the outset. However, I would say that this is easily my new favorite restaurant in Rochester. The Owl House was maybe my old one for comparison. I loved the feel and the food. As others have noted, the outside of the restaurant and the area don't seem to suggest such an outstanding restaurant. It's an area and a strip mall where you might think you were buying paint supplies. However, when you go inside, it is really stylish. It had a great old-time upscale style mixed with modern artsy vibe. It was just a really neat (unique/stylish) space to be in for awhile.

The food was all a hit. We had the cheese plate, the octopus, the salmon, and an evening halibut special. Every bite was fantastic. The wine was also excellent.

The service was great as well.

Obviously it's a little pricey but it's one of those dinners where I'm happy to have spent the money afterwards.

Next time I want to go out for a special evening, this is going to be at the very top of the list.

If you are thinking about it, you have to try it. I feel like it's under the radar a little (again, I wouldn't be one to know much about the radar though) in comparison to Revelry, Rooney's, Good Luck, etc. but I feel like this is better than any of those.

Just a great experience and dinner.

Reviewed 4 July 2018

We've been here a few times over the years and always enjoy the ambiance and good service, but the food and options have been just a bit lacking.......until this visit. Everything was perfect! The salmon was cooked exactly as ordered and delicious. The hamburger was very good. Best of all, the dessert choices were interesting, varied, and included an excellent, dense, German chocolate cake. We'll be back soon!

Reviewed 11 June 2018

This was our first visit to this restaurant, located in a rather unpretentious storefront location along Monroe Avenue. I only knew that it was a first-class eatery from reading the other reviews online, although the interior décor quickly stood out as soon as we entered the foyer. Everything about Avvino was truly amazing. Our server (Ian) was not only a wonderful waiter, but he also seemed to know everything about everything on the menu. For my appetizer, I ordered a plate of roasted stuffed beets, which contained a combination of white cheeses and was served on a bed of greens. The overall effect (and taste0 was extraordinary. (And I am very discriminating on beet dishes.) I also thought I detected a hint of horseradish, which Ian said was not one of the ingredients although another patron had made the same comment a week earlier. For my entrée, I had the roast duck, as did my daughter. Once again, it was a work of art; perfectly prepared, seared on the outside and slightly pink on the inside. Even the accoutrements on the dish were perfect, with roasted potatoes and what tasted like small bits of mangoes. I will admit one thing here, and it is my only “negative” comment of this entire review. (And it really wasn’t much of a negative.) I will say that there were some parts of the duck that were not as tender as other duck dishes I’ve had in the past, and were a bit tough to chew. I would have chalked this up to my imagination, until my daughter made the same observation. However, it was not very tough, and it was only in a few very small places. The overall dish was wonderful. For dessert, I had a triple-layer chocolate cake with nuts and a coconut icing that was further glazed with chocolate. OMG, it was amazing! Once again, Ian’s recommendations were spot on. (And he helped us out to avoid dished with nuts or seeds, as our daughter is allergic.) Besides that, the entire inside of the restaurant is EXTREMELY pretty, with attractive lighting and decorations throughout. Even the bathroom was nicely decorated! I’d give this place a score of ‘6’ if it was allowed! On top of that, the bill came to only about $55.00/person, which is very reasonable for a three-course meal of such gourmet quality. It was incredible food, wonderful top-notch service, and a beautiful setting all rolled into one. Well done, Avvino!