New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #1 of 138 things to do in Rochester
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Strong is a highly interactive, collections-based museum devoted to the history and exploration of play. It is one of the largest history museums in the United States and one of the leading museums serving families. The Strong houses the world's largest and most comprehensive collection of historical materials related to play and is home to the International Center for the History of Electronic Games, the National Toy Hall of Fame, the World Video Game Hall of Fame, the Brian Sutton-Smith Library and Archives of Play, the Woodbury School, and the American Journal of Play. Together, these enable a multifaceted array of research, exhibition, and other interpretive and educational activities that serve a diverse audience of adults, families, children, students, teachers, scholars, collectors, and others around the globe.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Rochester, New York
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great place for kids”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

Lot of activity to spend a day of the weekend with ease. Lots to learn.

Visited April 2012
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Burnsville, West Virginia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“First time there.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

I would go again. Not just for kids adults will also enjoy

Visited March 2012
Buffalo, New York
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Wonderful place, very fair price, something for all ages”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

Just came back from Strong, what a wonderful experience! We brought our 2 yr. old daughter, and at first she was truly overwhelmed with all of the things to look at she was a little bashful, but that didn't last too long! The Sesame Street area was wonderful, although I guess b/c I have a little one, I wish it were a bit bigger, it was a little smaller then expected. She loved the giant play train table, and Sister Bear from Berenstein Bears came out, and she loved that as well. I was impressed how well that was handled by staff b/c there wasn't a kiddie mob scene like I have seen at other places. The Carosel was awesome as well! We skipped a lot of the bigger kid stuff like video games and some of the Colonial stuff I knew she wouldn't be interested in, but I glanced at them and they looked really cool. We were also there during a Wizard of Oz Exhibit, which had something for all ages, but I have to say for little ones some of the stuff was a little scary. Berenstein Bears area was awesome, made for little ones, there is so much to do! Diner, clubhouse, farm area, all ready for little hands to play with! We also ventured upstairs to the actual 'museum' area where they have toys from it seemed like the beginning of time (lol), and it was really cool to look at too. Butterfly Conservatory looked beautiful, but we were so beat by the time we got to it, we skipped it.

I was actually amazed that you could pay only $13 and get such an amazing experience. The Gift Shop(s) were also reasonably priced as well, I was happy to see. There was a huge food court area, and a Diner inside as well, and those were also really reasonable. My only caution is that because this is a children's museum, a LOT of parents I saw used this as an excuse to not watch or discipline their children AT ALL, and there was a lot of pushing and rudeness from children old enough to know better without a parent in sight. If you keep that in mind, you'll be fine. We will be back ASAP!

Visited April 2012
NY
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“Great Activity for 2-6 year olds”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

We've been going here for years and probably are a little burned out by some of the same exhibitions being there for so long....but...its actually a great place for pre-k to maybe 3rd graders to play and explore. Can be very crowded when school is out (i.e. vacations), but when it is less crowded, its fun to let the young ones play store in Wegmans, run around the different play areas. The butterfly section is actually a lot of fun and while I question the "educational" aspects of this "museum", having kids explore and discover is good enough.

They should call it the "Museum of Tired Parents" because all of the running around being done will wear you out.

Visited March 2012
Rochester
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Great Place to Visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

I would highly recommend the Strong Museum of Play....it is a great place to take children. Some of the highlights include a Wegmans Grocery, Sesame Street, Bernstein Bears , etc. It has displays of vintage toys for us adults to show our kids! Overall it's a great place to take kids for the day.

My only tip is I would stay clear during a holiday school break...it is extremely busy!

Visited February 2012