“Wonderful new addition”
Review of The Amsterdam

The Amsterdam
Ranked #20 of 58 Restaurants in Rhinebeck
Price range: US$ 25 - US$ 40
Description: The Amsterdam is Rhinebeck's newest restaurant, serving modern farm-to-table fare by Chef Alex Burger, inside a restored Dutch townhouse. "The establishment fits seamlessly into the Hudson Valley food scene, honoring the foods, ingredients, and traditions of our area, while offering something unique to diners who care about quality food prepared and served with care," says Rural Intelligence.
Reviewed 2 October 2017 via mobile

My wife and I stopped by on a quiet Sunday evening for dinner at the bar. The bartenders were very chipper and attentive. Nice drink and wine by the glass menu. My wife tried The Dutchess drink, which she thought to be just ok but I thought tasty.

We shared the duck confit with corn gnocchi. It was really excellent! Not just pretty good. Really good. I couldn't help ordering some fries (person next over was munching and they looked good). Excellent fries. Dessert was a really spectacular bread pudding with a caramel ice cream. Terribly decadent, deliciously satisfying.

Beautiful and airy space with not over the top decor. Outdoor dining area, fire pit, bocci court... I'll definitely be back.

I don't give out many 5 star trip advisor reviews. This is a great addition to the neighborhood!

Reviewed 5 September 2017

Rhinebeck has plenty of great restaurants, and The Amsterdam - one of the "newer kids on the block" - fits perfectly in this area that is great for foodies.

As a vegetarian, I love when restaurants offer creative dishes (i.e., something other than an overpriced dish of gnocchi). The Amsterdam left this vegetarian asking for the recipe - which they gladly provided. I had Kamut berries with spring vegetables, mushrooms, cured lemon zest and bok choy. What a meal! My challenge now is to replicate it in my kitchen.

Bon appetit!

Reviewed 31 August 2017

I have been to The Amsterdam 3 times this summer. It is a perfect addition to my other favorite restaurants in Rhinebeck -- Local and Market. The food is truly superb...some of the best I have ever eaten all around the world. I had the Mushroom and egg for an appetizer and the buttery sauce is to die for. My guest ordered the hamburger and said it was the best hamburger he had ever eaten. I had the scallops special, and I appreciated that the server said there were 5 scallops...no surprises. The corn and cherry tomato sauce underneath the scallops was excellent. Only negative -- when it is crowded the noise level is very high and it is hard to hear your guests. They need to add more buffering for the sound. We ate in The Patio in back once, which was so fun and beautiful and less noisy, but the service wasn't as prompt back there. All in all, a terrific if pricey place.

Reviewed 26 August 2017 via mobile

We have had dinner at The Amsterdam in Rhinebeck a few times now. The atmosphere is vibrant, they did a great job decorating the place, the staff is very helpful and friendly. Still this restaurant is not going to be added to our list of favorite restauants. Main reason is that price and quality are not balanced. $19 for a not so special burger isn't cheap and paying $5 extra to add bacon just doesn't feel right. Fish and chips ($23) you better get at a food truck. The only red meat goes for $38. For these prices you'd expect something really good, which it it is just not. The consistency of cooking needs improvement too. Two of us ordered duck breast medium rare, one came out as ordered and the other was overcooked.
With eight people in the kitchen the restaurant should be able to do better. The wines are kind of expensive.
We hope The Amsterdam will find it's balance over time.

Reviewed 22 August 2017

My wife and I visit the Rhinebeck area on a regular basis and we were thrilled to discover Amsterdam’s on our most recent trip, based on the recommendation of our host at our bed and breakfast. Amsterdam’s features an eclectic and inventive menu that isn’t intimidating. We started out with a special salad that featured melon and blueberries over greens and finished with a champagne dressing. All the flavors came together for a great start to our dinner. For and entree I had a grilled pork chop that was one of the best I’d ever had. But it was my wife’s dish that stole the show, the kamut berries with spring vegetables. Kamut are wheat berries which were served with perfectly cook vegetables. We thought this dish was so good, in fact, that we asked for the recipe and the staff very kindly accommodated us. For dessert we had their special of the night which was a peach bread pudding with homemade ginger ice cream. It was as good as that sounds. Like their menu the wine list is equally as creative, featuring many different wines and producers from both New York and the more widely recognized wine regions. We had a bottle of Cabernet Franc from the Finger Lakes region that was quite good. To round out a wonderful dining experience was a professional and attentive staff. Even though the restaurant has a very casual and laid back vibe the staff performed like they were at a white tablecloth establishment in midtown Manhattan. Don’t let the flannel shirts, jeans, and high top sneakers fool you, this is a great staff that knows how to deliver a great dining experience. Make a point of trying this restaurant if you find yourself in Rhinebeck, you won’t be disappointed.

Been to The Amsterdam? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK