“Best breakfast deal in town”
Review of The Big Tomato

The Big Tomato
Ranked #50 of 299 Restaurants in Poughkeepsie
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 3 January 2018 via mobile

My husband and I love to drop into the Big Tomato for breakfast. Our last visit was on Christmas Eve day. When we showed up there were only a couple of seats at the counter in front of John, owner and cook. We took them!!
Usually when we go for breakfast my husband orders the special which is eggs, meats, pancakes and home fries. I love the cheese and onion omelet with home fries. Most days be prepared to wait. John is the only cook and his grill is small compared to most. This place is like going back in time to the fifties. Same wallpaper, same tables and stools, same dust bunnies and snake plants in the window. That said John, who seems like he is unaware of what's happening, knows everything that's going on. We once had a grandchild with us. John made her a pancake regardless of her not wanting to eat. And she ate it!!!! The waitresses are a bit zany and the crowd is diversified. If your gig is sterility, stay home. No cookie cutter plastic menu here. Best wishes in 2018 Big Tomato. May you never close.

1  Thank Barbara B

Reviewed 11 November 2017

Newly opened which might explain the poor service &mediocre food. Nice ambiance, but it looks like they may be catering to the college crowd since the emphasis is on craft beers. Would wait awhile before I try again to see if kinks are worked out & food improves.

1  Thank msmaryanne
Reviewed 31 July 2017

My daughter heard good things about this place, so we decided to give it a try. It doesn't look like much. We easily found parking and ventured in. The only available seats were at the counter, so the three of us lined up there. Decent coffee, modest traditional menu. I asked if I should have the Sicilian omelet or the hash... She told me the hash was on the specials board and I said, "Sold"

Good meal. All three of us were full. The hash came from a can, but they grill it and add onions -- NEWSFLASH -- it was really good. Here's the most amazing part, all three of us ate for less than $40 including tip.

Ignore the shabbiness, and the grease in the corners. Enjoy a delicious and cheap slice of Americana. A must do!

1  Thank Wendy W
Reviewed 10 July 2017

If you're nostalgic about a breakfast or lunch place you used to go to when you young, go here and get energized. John works wonders at the small cooktop, and you couldn't ask for a warmer, more friendly, atmosphere. If you like thin pancakes (I do), you can't beat these. Make sure you get onions in your home fries.

1  Thank Paaka75
Reviewed 23 May 2017 via mobile

Just nasty! My French toast taste like onions. The place itself is filthy. I don't know how they have managed to stay open for so long.

1  Thank Janine J