“A Lot of Fun for Not a Lot of Money”

Erlebnisberg Steckenberg
Reviewed 29 September 2015

My wife and I decided to ride the Sommerrodelbahn during our stay in Oberammergau. It is located just a few minutes drive north on the main road. When we first arrived we saw a lot of children with their parents and thought that maybe this was a kiddy ride, but not at all - it is a lot of fun.

We purchased a 6-ride card for I think 15 Euros that enabled both of us to ride three times. Operation is simple, there is a handle on each side of the cart. Push forward to go fast and pull back to slow down. The tow to the start of the ride probably takes longer than the ride itself, but the ride is exciting. On the way down at two points I saw signs in German indicating to brake. When I asked my wife if she had seen the signs she said "what signs, I didn't know you were supposed to brake?" If you are in the area with children it is an activity they will enjoy, but even we thought it was great.

1  Thank Coldbrew

Reviewed 5 June 2015

The Rodelbahn in itself is quite fun. Not too expensive. Fast. Quite the the adrenaline rush.

Then we get to the bottom. The owner/operator yelled at us to get off the micro second we got to the bottom. I said, "Yes, yes we're getting off." He come over an starts yelling at me in front of my daughter that our weight is bad for the conveyor belt the bahn is sitting on and that it costs a ton of money. I tried explaining to him that, after the adrenaline rush, the riders need a half a second to catch their breath, that I have my daughter on my lap and that I need a second to catch my breath and get my bearings." Him, "Well, that's certainly the first time ever and you can follow instructions if I give them to you!!!"

Unbelievable! I'm posting a photo of the conveyer belt. You'd imagine that the guest would have until the orange tassels to get off! NO WAY! That would destroy the precious rubber bands of the conveyor belt. No! Be prepared to jump your behind out of the car the millisecond it come careening in at full speed!

2  Thank Moodytrans
Reviewed 21 October 2014

We'd recommend this to anyone. We really enjoyed our one ride down the Sommerrodelbahn. It was inexpensive and we didn't brake at all on the way down. A great thrill even for middle aged people like us.

1  Thank Macham17
Reviewed 14 October 2014

Awesome experience for the kids. I was a bit scared but my 10 year old reassured me that it will be ok. ;) The ski lift will take you up to the top, but if you are not comfortable sitting on a bench with your feet dangling, you might want to skip it.

2  Thank Nita1011
See more reviews
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Just came back from visiting this attraction with the hubby and kids ages 8 and 10 and had a blast! Am so glad that we added this as part of our itinerary and we plan to add in more luge riding places like this. We have rented a car so getting around to places like this is easy. We were lucky to have good weather and it being a clear day, we got some magnificent views going up in the ski lift. It definitely can feel a bit scary but once you are on the ride, you realize how easy it is to control by going fast or slowing down. We only bought tickets for one ride because that's all we had time for - roundtrip time was about one hour since it takes a while to get up there, you stand in the line, and then the time to come down on the ride. Don't forget to bring a jacket as it is at high elevation (for us it was about 55 degrees F). Have water ready too since my mouth was so dry at the end of it (again probably because I was nervous)!! For our 2 week trip, this will probably be the activity the kids will remember the most.

1  Thank mamaarora