“Wanted to believe it would be great....”
Review of Canal Lamp Inn

Canal Lamp Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pittsford
Canal Lamp Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Pittsford B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 July 2010

I came to this Inn hoping that the previous reviews would have been wrong. I was disappointed in that. When I arrive I asked for a guide to the area. I was told they didn't have one! When one (out of date) was produced it was slipped without comment under my door. The website says that wireless internet is provided. Not so! And when I inquired, I was met with "I can't come back, I will bring you a cable in the morning". Whirlpool tub was non operational, not clean, etc.... I really, really wanted to believe this would be a great Inn, but alas, I think the owners have completely checked out of the picture. We'll see how breakfast is in the AM.....

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
4  Thank rosannemistretta
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Canal Lamp Inn

Reviewed 10 June 2010

what a lovely place to stay very oldie worldie the b&b is very comfortable with very high beds you need a step stool to help get into the bed.The rooms very nice overlooking the canal with long walks or just sit and watch the world go by the cafe near by do good selection of foods and very friendly staff the only thing we found was they do not have tea or coffee in the rooms only soft drinks.we would reconmend this place to stay if you want a relaxing holiday .with plenty of walking.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 May 2010

In the time we spent at Canal Lamp Inn, we never met the hosts. Our key was left in the mailbox, and we had to find our room, and figure out what parts of the house were available to guests. This lack of personal attention is what differentiates a bed and breakfast from a hotel, and it was missing.
Upon finding our room, we saw that the bathtub was unclean, with hair from previous guests in it. When drinks or snacks were enjoyed from the snack area, they were not replaced. When you are staying for a number of days, you expect water and soda in a snack area to be replenished. Yoghurt served at breakfast had expired dates, as did bags of chips in the snack area. Magazines in the living room were not current. We had tea during the day, and the cups which we used were never replaced with clean ones, nor was the teabox refilled. Each of these details on its own is of little consequence, but altogether it sets a negative tone. Details are what make a memorable bed and breakfast, but with a proprietor who never surfaces, what can you expect?
There were a few positives. Breakfast was decent and filling. The rooms were nicely decorated and comfortable. The lady who made breakfast was nice. The house was in a wonderful location, within walking distance to many places.
If I were to return to Pittsford, I would stay in the hotel down the street, which I have been told is very nice.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank 9vacation9
Reviewed 14 May 2010

The house was very gorgeous. My wife and I have stayed at many bed and breakfast all over NY and New England. We were very suprised that this totally lacked to personal touch you expect from a B&B. This was one of the most expensive B&B's we have stayed at and through the weekend, two nights stay, we never once met the owners. When we arrived we were greated by a sign that directed us to pick up the key from a designated location, we never had a phone call welcoming us. It was a very cold reception, that even the cheapest of motels far outweighed. The breakfast in the morning was delicious, however again, it was more like eating at a restaurant, with again the lack of the personal touch, no one ever asked about our stay. On the second morning over breakfast we met a newly wed couple. They too were very dissapointed by the lack of personal attention. When finished all we were greated by was the need to square our bill for our stay. I will not recommend this location, and truly will recommend that anyone consider staying at the Delmonte Renaissance, next door. if they are truly looking for a special stay. Our stay was 4/30/10 and 5/1/10. I was celebrating my 50th birthday with my wife, and to this day, we have never received a thank you. VERY VERY DISAPPOINTED.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank DLangevin
Reviewed 20 October 2009

We were visiting our son at RIT in Rochester, NY and wanted a nice, homey B&B rather than a large hotel. We were thrilled in our choice of the Canal Lamp Inn, a beautifully restored old Victorian home. It is approximately 15 minutes from RIT so very convenient. We stayed overnight on a Saturday. Three of the four rooms were booked, however our paths never did seem to cross the other guests' so it felt like we had the whole house to ourselves. We were greeted by (and I apologize if I have the name wrong) Laurie, who I believe is the sister of one of the innkeepers. She made us feel right at home, leaving some soda and bottled water on the cart outside our room along with filling the ice bucket and telling us to feel free to get more ice from the fridge if we ran out. Our room and bathroom was very clean and nicely decorated. The bed was very comfortable with many overstuffed pillows. After walking all day getting the grand tour of RIT and taking a long walk along the Erie Canal we were exhausted and fell asleep almost immediately after sinking into our bed! We awoke to the wonderful aroma of breakfast cooking and came downstairs to a nice selection of fresh fruit. We were then served juice, coffee, eggs, sausage and waffles (see picture) which were absolutely delicious and very filling. Two newpapers were also left for our reading pleasure. My only regret? That we were only there for one night. We'll definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank darlacLockport_NY
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pittsford
0.2 km away
4.2 km away
Hampton Inn Rochester Penfield
4.0 km away
Courtyard Rochester East/Penfield

Been to Canal Lamp Inn? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK