“Sood stay for a business traveler”
Review of Inn on the Hudson

Inn on the Hudson
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Peekskill
Chester, New Jersey
“Sood stay for a business traveler”
Reviewed 14 April 2012

I had concerns after reading the wide variety of reviews on Trip Advisor and hearing questioniable feedback on the Inn from locals. But my colleague was staying in Tarrytown & I decided I'd rather take the chance and stay a few minutes from where I neded to work rather than drive.... and I was very happy with my decision and accomodations on my Wed-Fri stay!

I specifically requested a newly renovated room as advised here, and was given Room 39 which is on the back side of the Inn with no balcony for $125/night. And I'll agree with what many folks said here: The room was a small, very basic room. But the room and bed was extremely clean & comfortable & was indeed renovated. The room also had a fridge and microwave which I was very happy to have for the growler I picked-up at the Peekskill Brewery. Also as a business traveler Internet is critical. While my wireless signal was weak, I didn't lose connectivity and streamed Netflix on my downtime. I've stayed at Hyatts that have let me down for this critical need. And although a little thing, compared to most hotels I could actually open a window for some fresh air if I wanted... something I personally like but don't often get to enjoy. I had quiet neighbors, but I can see the validity in people's complaints about thin walls if they had been noisy. Breakfast is offered, but is simple and limited to cereal, pastries, fruit, coffee, juices, milk, etc... so not a hearty meal but enough to get you on the go - which was fine for my needs and I took fruit to go for a mid-morning snack. Also seating for breakfast is limited to the three tables in the lobby so there could be instances where may have to take things back to the room or sit outside if the weather is nice. I didn't interact much with the folks at the desk, but I didn't need to except for check-in and check-out and they were pleasant folks. I'd definitely stay again for business or if I wanted to do a two day trip up the Hudson.

Regarding some of the negatives folks spoke of, I think some things need to be put into perspective: This is a motorcourt type inn, so small, simple accomodationss should be expected by folks considering staying here. It's situated close to and above Rt. 9 on the mountain, and is a half-mile from the train station with the rail line running along the river (maybe a quarter mile at it's closest), so you'll hear the traffic and train whistles as will the rest of Peekskill. I personally did not hear the highway from my room, and had no issues with the distant train whistle affecting my rest. Perhaps this is more of an issue with rooms 1-10 that are in the building on the front side of the property. Also as I mentioned up front I requested and got a newly renovated room so I didn't experience any of the conditions some others described. So for me as a business traveler it was perfect. For those using this as a launching point for day trips in the Hudson Valley it's great. I wouldn't recommend the In for those looking for a getaway for those hoping to stay put at the Inn and lounge for several days.

Room Tip: Rooms in the mid 30s and above have entrances on the back side of the property, and are furthest fro...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank borisow
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
South Windsor, Connecticut
Reviewed 1 April 2012

This hotel had very basic rooms, but was extremely clean & comfortable. I'm used to a little bit more upscale place, but this was completely comfortable, the staff couldn't have been more pleasant. And the view of the Hudson, SPECTACULAR!! Good price, too. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: rooms above the office and facing North are closer to the Hudson & have a spectacular view. Roo...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Carol L
New York
Reviewed 20 March 2012

I had reservations at the Inn for this past weekend of March 17th for my birthday. We were excited to get away to enjoy the Hudson Valley since those were my old stomping grounds. On our way up, we got a call saying that our beloved dog got out of the back yard and got hit by a car. I was devasted and immediately turned back home. I called the Inn and told them what happened. I was a mess on the call and they were so understanding and sympathetic, They were willing to move my reservation if I needed but unfortunately, I was not able to make it up. They were willing to cancel my reservation and waive the fee so I can be fully reimbursed. That was a true blessing considering in order to save my dog, I spent a small fortune with emergency surgery.
Based on the other reviews, perhaps the rooms are small and some are not completely redone, but the level of service that I was provided with this experience was extraordinary!
I will definitely reschedule my trip up to the Hudson Valley and book my stay at the Inn.
So to the fine gentleman who helped me this past weekend (think your name was Ryan) a special thanks from my family and my beloved dog Jojo! Hope to see you soon!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bizcocho
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 14 January 2012

The view of the Hudson is great, but our room was so tiny we did not spend much time there enjoying it. We did not have one of the remodeled rooms mentioned in some of the other reviews. There was no closet -- just a short clothes rack on the wall with those annoying hangers that don't have a hook so you can't use them to hang anything anywhere else -- and an ancient tube-TV with limited cable and lousy picture. No writing desk, and old worn furniture. Water pressure in the shower was not great.

On the plus side, the room seemed very clean, the bed was reasonably comfortable, and the front desk staff was friendly and helpful. The hotel is just a few minutes' walk from downtown Peekskill, which has its own surprising charms -- particularly if you like ecuadorian and central american food and culture. I suppose the management is doing the best they can with the facility they have, and I would like to give the place a higher than middling rating, but I just can't get past the tiny, poorly furnished rooms. Anyway, there does not seem to be much in the way of alternatives for lodging in Peekskill, so you probably cannot do better, or worse, than the Inn on the Hudson.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Innonthehudson, Manager at Inn on the Hudson, responded to this review, 23 February 2012
I want to thank the writer for their honest review. Although room five(5) has spectacular views of the Hudson River, that room in particular has not been renovated as of yet. Although our rooms are not huge, our newly remodeled rooms are very well appointed with new bath fixtures, tile flooring and tub tile surrounds. And the bedrooms have new carpet, window treatment, art work, furniture, bedding etc., and yes a new flat screen TV. The Inn on the Hudson's on-going room renovation project is a major enhancement to our recent exterior renovation. Thank you again for your candid review.
Bronx
Reviewed 18 December 2011

We stayed for one night here while we went to nearby Colonial Terrace for a Christmas Party. It was just 6 minutes away. We had room 5. It was a smaller room than what I'm used to with hotels but enough to serve our needs for the time - just a bed dresser desk and no closet, just rack on the wall to hang clothes . It did have a TV microwave and fridge and free WiFi. The bathroom was clean and yes a little dated. But it did have a homey feel. The bed was comfortable and no bed bugs from what we checked. TV didn't have many channels. You do hear the Metro North horn a couple of times which didn't bother us, but may bother a light sleeper. The view from the balcony was a wonderful view of the Hudson that we enjoyed the next morning. We took a walk around the property which looked very nice. I can imagine staying here for a weekend to see the sights around upstate NY. They did have a continental breakfast station, basics: coffee, donuts, bagels cream cheese, packaged muffins. We had plans to eat breakfast out anyway, but we did grab coffee and a donut. Can't complain about this hotel. Definitely would stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 5 which was a balcony side room facing the Hudson. If you enjoy views of the Hudso...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AngieBronx
Also consider these accommodations in or near Peekskill
1.7 km away
27.4 km away
Tarrytown House Estate on the Hudson
26.1 km away
Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Tarrytown

Been to Inn on the Hudson? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK