“Very interesting, but I guess not really my style”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Oneida
Oneida Community Mansion House
Ranked #1 of 2 Oneida B&B and Inns
Rochester, NY
“Very interesting, but I guess not really my style”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

I arrived at 10pm, and a kind lady let me in and showed me to my room. The first thing I noticed was that it smelled old, and the green carpet looked like it really needed to be replaced. In my room, the bed was comfortable, and the bathroom immaculate. The lady indicated I could have breakfast in my room (some fruit, yogurt, orange juice). I would have appreciated a bottle of water instead of the 3 soda cans, but oh well. The thick towels are AWESOME!!! The decor was dated (not really in a good way...it's a historic landmark, but not from the 1970s). The shades on the windows don't go down all the way. I got the feeling there weren't many people there, but still. A little more privacy would have been appreciated. Only some of the building is updated, apparently, and instead of light switches, I had to find the lights and pull on their individual chains. It was also quite cold. There was a portable oil heater at the foot of the bed. I plugged it in and used it full force. The heater part worked fine, but it was hard to move around (especially AFTER I turned it on) because the wheel base needed some major adjusting. Around 3am, I awoke, quite frightened, to loud clanging. It sounded like someone hitting a metal pipe with a hammer. This continued for about 10 minutes, and then it became a sloshing sound, like someone rhythmically plunging the toilet...or maybe a crew team in my bathtub. That went on for about 10 as well. Then some hissing, and the clanging returned. I was listening to this cacophonous symphony for at least 30 minutes, wishing I could sleep. It was the heater. I've heard old radiators before, but nothing like this racket! Sorry, just really not my style. No "charm" or "history" can make up for my lost sleep. Also, I've never stayed in a place where the head of the bed is right next to the door, so I can hear all my "neighbors" walking around an old creaky house. I doubt more space would help that much, but....The room had no fan so I could drown out noise (I do appreciate "white noise" at night).
I think the grounds are very pretty, but I didn't stick around to enjoy them. I left at 8:30 am, before the office staff arrived.

If you think spending a night in a historical landmark or museum sounds awesome, and you want to explore such places, you'll probably enjoy it (especially if the heater doesn't come on), if your visit is for pleasure--if you're on vacation or traveling with a friend. If, however, you just need a comfortable place to stay, especially solo, I think the lack of privacy or usual amenities will prevent you from enjoying your time.

I'll continue my attempt to find someplace affordable to stay on my work travel to nearby Hamilton, New York.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank KSOHNYPR
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

What an interesting B&B! We wandered around the mansion after dark, read in the huge library and learned about the Oneida Community. If you've ever wanted to stay in a museum overnight, this is a great experience.

Comfortable beds, excellent water pressure and hot water for the shower, clean rooms, nice breakfast basket in the room (this is not standard procedure but we were the only guests), huge rooms with 14' ceilings and floor to ceiling windows.

Museum tour included in the price of the room. Walking/running trails all around the property/town, map provided. Friendly volunteers at desk and helpful staff in the office.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jean_likes_maine
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2012

I stayed in March, coming to Oneida for a friend's funeral. The ratings for area motels were rather grim and I'd always wanted to see the Mansion House for the history of it. I was given a very comfortable, clean room with a very nice bathroom and a key to the back door which is used by the few residents of the Mansion and leads to a parking area. It is very quiet all day and night. If you want a place where you can really relax and get a good rest, this is it. The grounds are lovely and expansive. I had a really enjoyable walk into the town of Sherrill, right down Kenwood Avenue. The tour is very interesting, particularly if you've read any of the history of the Oneida Community ahead of time. My tour guide, Tony Wonderley, gave a great tour and narrative. He answered all my questions and I had quite a few!

I'd love to go back and this time bring my husband, the railroad fan. There's plenty of rail history in the area as well.

Room Tip: There is only one room that doesn't have a refrigerator and that is the least expensive one, the...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank quietwaters1
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2012

We stayed at Oneida Community Mansion House out of season in January, and for a small amount of money we had a mansion to ourselves for the evening. This included en-suite bedroom with giant bay windows and 13ft ceilings, a theatre/hall space complete with grand piano, three libraries, a museum collection, family hall, curiosity cabinet and grand living room - phew!

We stayed there as we were headed to Oneida to visit the world's smallest church.

Most of these are shared with other permanent residents (we didn't see any though). There were extensive grounds with swings and a little wooden gazebo.

The history of the mansion was indeed fascinating and the mansion itself was beautifully made and maintained. It was very atmospheric, and seems a shame it is now quiet, when it was once so full of life.

At 2am the heating system kicked in and woke us up - as long as you're prepared then you won't freak out like I did.

Breakfast was cereals, coffee, bagels or hot options. It was a unique experience!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Danielle D
Marblehead, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2011

A unique experience. Stayed here last month with an old friend; it's a fascinating place. You go for the history, but the rooms are clean, beds comfortable. Very quiet, pleasant grounds. There's a nice restaurant there for dinner but that's changing soon. Breakfast is simple. Around $100/ night.

DO take the tour (included in the price); the history of this place as an early, successful example of communal living in the U.S. ... morphing into a successful business (Oneida flatware etc) is important and interesting.

The ceilings were at least 13 feet tall-- the photo shows a vine-covered bedroom window (at night) which was at least 9 feet tall.
Don't go if your idea of heaven is a chain hotel, or if you have to have everything new and shiny. We were just traveling through, and only spent one night, but I plan to go back and stay longer and use it as a base to explore the area.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Alexis S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oneida
5.4 km away
Vernon Downs Hotel
#2 of 2 in Vernon
6.2 km away
The Hotel at Turning Stone Resort

Been to Oneida Community Mansion House? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK