Detective Hotel
    Priceline
    • Pool
    L'Escale(Etretat)
    • Restaurant
    See what travellers are saying:
    Reviewed 28 October 2009

Location very good to get around the town and parking nearby in the town hall carpark.
    Pictures on web were quite deceiving as we thought the rooms would be better decorated.No space to put clothes just a few hangers.Hotel a bit tired needs updating really but for 2 star ok.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
    Reviewed 15 October 2009

We stayed one night, and the experience was up and down.

From TripAdvisor recommendations, I googled the property and they have their own website, in French and an English version. I emailed them for a room for two on such and such a date, and quickly a reply, "book through the website." Why only rely on that? Email and phone could be fine enough?

So I went online, and only with the French version is a button "Booking" (or "Reservations" or something.) Which took me to booking.com, so I went ahead and did that, thinking that was their reservations engine. After giving credit card for guaranteeing room, I then searched again the property for its location, and found the room 5euro cheaper on other bucket engines like venire, travelocity.co. uk, etc. Sigh.

We were late getting to the property, and arrived around 9 PM. There was a note on the door with a mobile number (no answer via the doorbell.) Good thing my partner is from UK and had a roaming mobile phone - Americans are often phone-less in Europe!!! Someone came immediately, we entered the dark lobby area, was given a key to the Emma Peel, and she left. We found our way up the stairs by ourselves, and entered the room.

Great room but....bed was concave. ! LIke some 1000 pound person slept in the middle. Room was large! Great 60s decor and had TV too. We were too tired to try to get down in the dark again and find the mobile number for a different room...around 11 PM went to take a shower - the shower was broken. Just the holder for the hose, so no shower - only a hose (use one had to hose, one to soap, you get the idea.)

After hosing ourselves down, went to bed and tried to sleep. Room above us had spring beds? Creaking so loud! I prayed to God, please don't let them have sex. The creaking of the bed above our heads ended by 1 AM, and it was quiet. But two people on an American double-sized bed that was concave.... we didn't sleep.

The hotel is on a main street, but in October, dead quiet. The windows aren't sound proofed, but since the whole town was quiet, that was not a problem.

The proprietress was fabulous - I paid the credit card and said that she probably wants to know but...the shower and bed are problems. She correctly asked why did we not ask for a different room; yeah, in a hotel with reception we would have...but it was late, all was shut up. She was very apologetic and offered us breakfast before we went, which I have to say was fabulous - fresh pastries, juices. I DO recommend the breakfast.

In the daylight, we got to see the downstairs and its lovely - I'm sure a great place to hang out in Summer with the cafe/bar, reading areas, games - lovely!

They do have wifi, but since I got there so late and forgot to ask, had no way to access it.

I would still recommend this hotel to a friend - but next time I'll check the room first. Parking was right on the street, and overnight parking is free in town; otherwise its for pay in many parts, but around the Rue Charles V where this is, there is lots of street parking. I'm sure parking is a premium in July/August.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
    2  Thank BrendaMurray
    Reviewed 2 September 2009

We stayed overnight at this hotel and found it very convenient for exploring the town and its unique cliff side areas. We stayed in the Sherlock Holmes room and it was very charming....my only negative would be if you are staying for a longer period of time.....there is absolutely no storage in the room or closet to keep anything in.....the owners obviously take great pride in their establishment and it is reflected in the cleanliness and charm of the hotel. Parking is available very reasonably in a garage next door.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
    1  Thank eurolady28
    Reviewed 21 August 2009

Friendly, informative and highly original. Our car was saftely stored in a garage next door (for 5 euros if there's space) and the rooms are clean, basic, but very amusing. We stayed in the Columbo room, and there was a brown mac in the wardrobe, a humidor on the bedside table and a cusion with a bloodhound on it....! all other rooms apeared equally equipped for each character.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
    1  Thank MrandMrsDuke
    Reviewed 14 May 2009

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for three nights in late April 09. We were greeted by the lady behind the desk with a big smile and she was even kind enough to find a space somewhere in the garden for our bikes.

The hotel is very quaint and authentic as it seems to be in what used to be a big house with a large indoor wooden staircase that leads from the ground floor though the hotel. The room we had booked was the Sherlock Holmes Room. It's a decent sized room for two with a HUGE bed! I understand each room is decorated within the detective/investigative theme and it works really really well. Ours was excellent, especially when I realised there was a 'hidden' bathroom. HOW COOL!!!

The other fantastic thing about this hotel is the café/lounge/bar on the ground floor where there are heaps of books (including many detective stories/comics) about everything and even board games which you can use for free (within the café's premises) while sipping a cup of tea of a refreshment (which you pay for - reasonably priced). It makes for a great place to chill out in between outings or even at night. Also the hotel has free wireless internet.

The owner's are adorable and will happily chat to you energetically. The entousiasm they show towards their hotel is endearing and uplifting.

I have only two 'negative' things to say:
    -->The rooms are very close together and the walls are thin. So sleep-ins can be a bit noisy...
    --> one should be able to get internet access from the café but it didn't seem to work and we could only get the signal from the 'breakfast room' which is much less cosy.

Apart from that I can assuredly say that the hotel was a big part in our trip being so pleasant. It's only 3 min walking distance from the beach and closed to all amenities and shops! We will definitely go there again.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple