“Billing is dubious?? Owners wake up!”
Review of Geelbek

Geelbek
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Informal easy going meals for families in the West Coast National Park, Langebaan. Play area for children in nature, bird hides close by.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Stoped here for a milkshake and something to eat. I can’t seem to get my head around what this food house is, cause it does not fit the mound of all the other fancy and excellent Langebaan places.

AND the main problem is ... the value for money - it’s poor. I had a small plate of chips that cost me R42.00. Even in a fancy JHB restaurant they don’t charge that much.

But the main problem arose when I asked for the bill. Having worked in a till environment before, I think that I am wise to most billing tricks. I was asked to come to the billing screen and pay the amount on the screen, which I thought was way overpriced. Requesting a till slip, I was told that the screen till could not print it and the server had to go inside to get the print out, which, of course, differed by R120.00 from the amount on the screen. Having already had my credit card go through, the server immediately asked if he could refund me in cash, which he took from his pocket.

Perhaps a mistake or are you and your guests being scammed?

Perhaps you need to take a closer look.

Rassie E, Owner at Geelbek, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2018

Hi William

Thank you for taking the time to wright a review. Please note that we are the new owners and will be taking over the 1st of May 2018. We take note of this and can ensure you this is not going to be part of the new feel or look of Geelbek. We hope you will return and get the service you and all future patrons deserve and Will receive. Hope we see you soon. Regards Chef/Owner Rassie Erasmus

Reviewed 20 February 2018

we had a nice lunch and enjoyed the Bitterbalen starter which is a Dutch snack we know very well. can hopefully visit again

Transition2018, Manager at Geelbek, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2018

Thanks we appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed 7 February 2018

Tues, 6th Feb .We arrived for breakfast at about 9:15, opens at 9:00, and waited quite a while for a waiter, despite there being only one other table seated.After another pair, arriving after us, had had their orders taken, we ordered: 5 VOC breakfasts, and coffee.
We all remarked on the comment at the bottom of the menu about the current contract holders leaving at the end of Feb!
The table that had arrived after us left, rather noisily, and one of our party thought she overheard that there were no eggs for their breakfast.
Coffee arrived, and we were finished this, some time after the others had left, when a young waiter arrived, and apologetically told us there were no eggs for breakfast. This was nearly 3/4 hr. after we had arrived!
When we confronted a more senior looking waitress, and demanded to see the manager, she was apparently not there.
We left, without paying for our coffee.
This is appalling mismanagement! Perhaps there is more to the contract being terminated - the job is simply not being done.
As I am a teacher of Tourism at a high school, I will use this as a very good example of how NOT to give service in the hospitality industry.
Another table of German visitors had not yet been informed of the limits on NO EGGS for breakfast. As I speak German, I let them know..

Transition2018, Manager at Geelbek, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2018

Thanks for your comment. People are extra sensitive when they hear the contract is getting to the end of Feb. We get our deliveries on Tuesday and Thursday mornings. We depend on these deliveries. It happens so that the truck delivering our produce broke down between Melkbos and Cape Town. We had to rush to Langebaan to buy eggs until our delivery has been delivered. Sorry this has got nothing to do with mismanagement- I do not agree with your comment we made a plan to go to Langebaan when the driver phoned us at about 11:00. these thing do happen considering that we are a 150 km from Cape Town and 30 km from Langebaan.
The old management will leave on 28 Feb, they have not left yet.
Regards

Reviewed 7 February 2018

We have been to Geelbek for breakfast in the past, being regular visitors to the West Coast Reserve. We were first five customers to arrive, order was taken although they did take the order of 2 other people before ours. Our coffee arrived - but no breakfast. approximately half an hour after sitting down a waiter came to tell us that there were no eggs. My Niece told us that she had overheard the waitress telling the 2 women that there were no eggs about 10 minutes before we were told, but thought she had miss heard it. We decided to leave and in doing so, told a German party at another table that there were no eggs. The waitress then told us that those people would be OK as they only wanted 2 cooked breakfasts and there were 4 eggs left - the ones that we were not offered!! We left in disgust. We understand that the current caterers are leaving at the end of February - seems to us that in all practical terms, they have left already. Bitterly disappointed - had to settle for Wimpy toasted cheese instead.

Reviewed 15 January 2018

We visit the West Coast national park on a regular basis for the past twenty one years. We use to stop at the Geelbek restaurant to get something to eat and drink but due to the lack of maintenance we have not popped in to the restaurant for more than a year even though we have had many visits to the park during 2017. On the last visit of the year (31/12/2017) we again had a lovely day visiting all the bird hides in the park and just driving thru the park. At lunch time my wife convinced me to go in to the restaurant to see if any changes as been made since our last visit to the restaurant back in November 2016? What a disappointment that after more than a year noting have changed for the better and the service have now deteriorated as well. We order drinks and it took so long that we did not bother to order lunch. I number of other visitors left without receiving any service and people arriving had to find their own open table to sit at. I’m afraid if drastic changes are not made very soon there will not be a restaurant at Geelbek to visit. In all honesty I think it’s very late in the day when signs are put up to justify poor slow service as the tortoises in the park move much faster and with more determinations than whoever is trying manage Geelbek?

1  Thank GerritPretorius
Rassie E, Owner at Geelbek, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2018

Hi Gerrit
I'm the new owner of Geelbek. We took over 01 May 2018 and everything you mentioned is concerning, as I have been in this industry for many years and can say with confidence that this is about the fundamental basics of running a restaurant. I would like to invite one last time and come and experience a well equip establishment with happy and eager staff and amazing food. I'm sure you will be happily surprised and we hope not to disappoint. Hope to see you soon