“Mountain View Suite...wow!!!”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in New Paltz
Marlboro, New Jersey
“Mountain View Suite...wow!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2012

My husband surprised me with a one night stay in the Mountain View Suite and it was amazing!!! The room was immaculate and had so many features you could only dream of.
The first floor had a living room with a wood-burning fireplace, balcony, flat-screen TV with DVD player, full bathroom, and a small area with a fridge and Keurig coffee maker. The gorgeous spiral staircase led us to our circular bedroom with a king-size bed and flat-screen TV that popped up out of the cabinetry.  The bathroom was huge with a large soaking tub, enormous glass-enclosed shower, and dressing area with vanity. The curtains in the room were remote controlled. The room had speakers throughout to play music.
The food at the hotel was great. Plenty to choose from and all
delicious.
The spa was fantastic and definitely worth a trip.
The views throughout the hotel and the grounds were amazing. The staff was pleasant.
I have to take off one star though for the types of guests this hotel attracts. Way too many people walking around thinking they were better than everyone else. I actually had one woman turn the four-sided rotating shelf on me at the store while I was looking at something. And continued to turn it like I was not even there. So minus one star for some very rude guests. But don't let that stop you from going. This hotel is a must see.

• Stayed October 2011
4 Thank Didojen
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (583)
  • Korean first
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2012

This is a most unusual property, set on a Mountain top with a grand view of the area. We were there in the summer and there are many wonderful outdoor activities. I loved the mountain biking, and the day hiking around the property was great for all the family. It is an older property but very well maintained. The food in very good and overall the service at the hotel is excellent.

Room Tip: Try get a room with a view of the Mountain.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank MacAtlantaGa_
Ticowife
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2012

I read some other reviews and beg to differ about the food. My husband and I both love the food at Mohonk. Be prepared for a feast. There is an over abundance of delicious foods. Many people I know love the food. We have travelled to Mohonk during each season. Each season has something special to offer. There are lots of activities for couples and families. The only downside of mohonk is that it is very expensive and the rooms are Victorian and old fashioned. If that is not to your liking, you will not be impressed with the sleeping accommodations. Service is excellent, staff are friendly and the food is delicious. The ambience and atmosphere of Mohonk is beautiful and should be a must see on everyone's list. We got married there in 2010 and was thrilled with our wedding as were our guests. A day pass with a meal is an affordable option but I don't think you can use the beautiful pool or take out the boats in the lake. After a couple of overnight stays we purchased a meal pass and stayed at the very pleasant super 8 motel in new paltz. New Paltz is a lovely town with restaurants and shops. The spa at mohonk is very attractive but I was not very impressed with the services. A visit to Mohonk should be on everyone's list of must sees!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ticowife
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

This place is great eye candy, the grounds are stunning! The rooms could use a little updating while keeping the old and creepy feeling.
Its a regular destination for some and a curious and unexpected adventure for others.
I'd come back again, with a roommate- the nights can be a little creepy.

• Stayed January 2012
3 Thank teisterschoice
Philadelphia, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

I recently attended a very enjoyable "Locavore Weekend" at Mohonk Mountain House - my first visit to this property.
It was a very enjoyable journey with most every aspect of the experience living up to my expectations.

Most notable during this trip was the overall stunning beauty of the scenery of the property's thousands of acres and adjoining nature preserve.
If this is what the utter glory of the region offers in the middle of winter, I cannot imagine how dramatic Mohonk is during the spring through fall season. Spectacular!

Without ever having been there before, I knew what to expect from the property -
Between Tripadvisor reviews and commentary via other (reputable) websites, rather than being disappointed by the slight wear and the bygone-era feel of Mohonk, I found it to be totally charming and in complete character with a place which has entranced and entertained generation after generation.
Best of all (along with the unbelievable views & scenery), the food was of a high quality. We were very satisfied with each meal, from breakfast and brunch on through dinner.

The Locavore program (featuring a variety of chefs and resource authorities from the Hudson Valley) was well produced. Each presenter gave an excellent overview to her/his craft, and the weekend flowed without getting us too bogged down with more than enough demonstrations/not enough free time.

Highlights of the weekend included the attention to housekeeping/cleanliness, both in-room and all throughout the property. The management staff we had met (Nina, Elizabeth & Samantha) truly represents the property well. All very professional and their smiles are sincere.
As stated, the fare was delicious.

Recreational activities were limitless. As it was a lovely weekend (for January), being outdoors was heavenly.

The fitness center was very clean and had a fine array of equipment.
(We didn't get to use the indoor pool or the spa, but boy were they inviting!)

There was some room for improvement, mainly, concerning front-of-house and restaurant staff. Though very polite and attentive, there were too many opportunities to refill drinks/replace silverware which had been overlooked (even when dining during slower/less populated times).
Our designated wine pourer at a tasting had not been properly trained in how to pour wine and not spill (a simple aspect that I'm sure they'll teach her); check-in and out went smoothly, however, the young man at the desk needs to put away the he-thinks-it's-hidden I-pod and pay attention to guests (knowing marketing director Nina, if she's reading this, he will soon get properly instructed on service etiquette).

All simple, easy-to-fix things...

My only qualm was in not having any sort of electronic media in the guest rooms.
Sure, having a real fireplace to light was a rare treat. What I wanted was an I-pod docking station, or, CD player as I love having music in my life.
Though I don't usually mind not having a TV, it would have been nice as I really wanted to see, but had to miss what ended up being a thrilling Australian Open tennis final.

Overall, I give my weekend, the property, the food and the staff a solid VERY GOOD.
I will absolutely return again -
And again!

Room Tip: Request a room with a view in advance and again upon check in.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
8.9 km away
Hudson Valley Resort and Spa
20.1 km away
Buttermilk Falls Inn & Spa

Been to Mohonk Mountain House? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK