“Family Friendly Hotel / Couples welcome :D”

Wavecrest Oceanfront Resort
Ranked #23 of 39 Hotels in Montauk
Port of Spain, Trinidad
“Family Friendly Hotel / Couples welcome :D”
Reviewed 18 February 2012

My husband and I are regulars in Montauk NY. Our routine starts with a early morning drive to Montauk, where we join others to start fishing at 7 am on the Lazy Bone. (We get breakfast on the way) After a few hours of fishing we return to the dock and have lunch. We then head to the Wavecrest for check in. The wave crest is not a five star hotel, but if you are looking for a clean hotel with a great view, indoor heated pool, picnic area, that is family friendly. Wavecrest is for you. The "over look" room has a roof top balcony for sunbathing ( my favorite rooms for privacy and view) "panorama" has a great view also overlooking Hither Hills. However all the rooms have a great view and balcony, If you have children you may want to get the "water edge" it is closer to the beach and pool/ picnic area, lounge chairs/ umbrellas are available. The ground floor is not very private, but if you have kids and want to keep an eye on them this may be the spot for you.
There is daily maid service and the prices are cheaper than most of the hotels in the area. (I usually visit off season when the temp, is nice and the prices are a lot cheaper).

I believe all the rooms have a smal kitchen / fridge so you can always bring meals and cook if you are trying to cut cost.

For a Romantic Five Star restaurant with a portion size that your italian grandma would serve go to Goshman's, I believe they have one of the best chefs in Montauk and I can tell you that because I have tried quite a few restaurants over the years. They are also family friendly and will make everyone comfortable. If you want to head out to Goshman's for Lunch they have a great deck upstairs overlooking the water and the prices are cheaper, you can also take a short walk around Goshmans after lunch.

If you have a large family and you are seeking a cheap lunch, head to the deli in town, we sometimes order sandwiches / drinks and head out to Montauk Point we sit on the rocks and enjoy the view. If you are lucky you can see why there are so many people with fishing rods out there. One year we saw what appear to be fifty or more large strip bass close to the rocks. Montauk Point has become more children friendly with the new playground and bathrooms located in the parking lot, from the parking lot you can walk to the lighthouse or to Camp Hero (if you have younger ones you may want a stroller).

For a reasonable priced dinner you can order from Vistia Pizza Village, dining there is cozy but if you are in Montauk I say go back to the hotel with your pizza and enjoy the view. :D

Our daily activity while there include my three hour walk (yes three hours) I usually walk from Wavecrest to the village on the beach and walk back on the main road with the rolling hills back to the hotel, on my way (with my camera ) I stop and enjoy the view, take pictures, talk to visitors pick up shells............ :D While I am on the beach my husband usually rides his bike to the point and back.

Breakfast for us is the cozy place called Bird's on the roof, the prices is reasonabl for Montauk, nothing fancy just a regular breakfast.

Look for my review on Beachcombers and Ocean Beach Resort :D

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank kgfishmounts
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 17 October 2011

We went to Montauk to celebrate our first wedding anniversary. We went just before the high season started, checking in on a Saturday and checking out on a Monday. We requested an ocean view room and we got exactly what we asked for. Our room had sliding doors that led to its own balcony with chairs where we relaxed while overlooking the ocean. We didn't have the best weather while we were there, but that didn't stop us from having a great time. Montauk village is a two minute drive away; there you will find restaurants, bars, mini-golf and a movie theater. You can also drive to the point and see the historic light house in about ten minutes. Of course if there weather is nice, the beach is right outside your room, and the helpful staff will bring you towels and chairs to any spot you'd like on the private beach. The front desk staff were also very courteous and helpful, but nothing beats falling asleep and waking up to the sound of waves crashing on the shore. We had a wonderful stay at Wavecrest and we will definitely make this our first lodging choice the next time we pay a visit to Montauk.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jamonita
Connecticut
Reviewed 23 September 2011

We've been spending 4 dqays to a week at the Wavecrest for at least the last 5 years. We love the beach and enjoy the laid-back (less so in the last 2 years) lifestyle at Montauk.

We really like the Wavecrest for the following reasons:
- IT's ON THE BEACH....many of the hotels/motels in Montauk are across the road from the beach and require trekking down paths over the dunes to get to the beach
- Wavecrest provides beach chairs, beach umbrellas, and towels. They have a beach boy who sets these up free of charge. Many of the OTHER hotels will just point you in the direction of the beach and wish you luck. You'll need to bring you equipment with you to Montauk and then haul them over the road, across the dune and then down to the water (reversing the process when you leave the beach)....I believe the term in NY is "schlepping".

Yes the hotel is a little on the rustic side but the rooms have cable, wi-fi, air conditioning and heat, and decks/terraces....most with a view of the ocean. The rooms are cleaned on a daily basis and the staff does a very good job.

The rooms also have mid-sized refrigerators, stoves, ovens, coffee makers, microwaves, and basic, pots & pans, dishes, and silverware so you can cook your meals if so inclined.

What is also convenient is that the hotels is about a 10 minute drive from the center of Montauk so it's convenient to food (supermarket and delis), shopping, and several restaurants.

The beach is the Atlantic Ocean with waves (sometimes big waves), fine, clean sand, un-crowded, and miles long. You can also do surf casting if so inclined

The hotel has outdoor barbeques and guests will often have bonfires on the beach (the hotel sells wood).

If you are looking for a hotel with a spa, exercise equipment, steam rooms and massages...go find a Ritz Carlton. If you want exercise...go run/walk on the beach. They do have an indoor heated pool but I've never used it.

Will we return??..looking at the calendar for next year now.

Room Tip: Go to Ronnies Deli in town...Bacon and Egg sandwiches in the morning for $3...fresh made donuts stil...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank MBAX01
Colts Neck, New Jersey
Reviewed 14 September 2011

We stayed here a few days prior to Hurricane Irene hitting the east coast. Montauk was not a great place to be with an impending hurricane heading our way. We checked in on Thursday morning and prepaid for Friday, expecting to check-out on Saturday. As the forecast became more serious, we decided that staying out on the tip of LI like a sitting duck wasn't such a great idea, so we did a premature checkout on Friday and did not get a refund. Most of the establishments were boarding up and people were beginning to evacuate so common sense prevailed and we made it home to the Jersey shore in a matter of hours.

The beach and area along Old Montauk Highway is one of my favorites. We've stayed elsewhere but this was our first stay at the Wavecrest. The office/checkin building is your first tipoff to what kind of establishment it is. It's "rode hard and put away wet" as they say in horsecountry. Seedy looking and rundown. We stayed in the Waters Edge building, top floor.
It was clean and the bathroon was updated as was some of the furniture but it smelled musty. The entire establishment is somewhat rundown and kept up minimally, rust and ill repair just about everywhere. The beach was nice and that's what you have to focus on when here but one would expect more for the prices they charge. The mattress was old and saggy and overall the place was borderline creepy. I guess it is what it is..a hotel that sits empty for the winter while taking a beating from the weather and getting a musty smell. Minimal work is done in the spring and the owners are taking advantage of the great location white putting little money into upkeep.

I think that I actually couldn't wait to check out and used the hurricane as an excuse. I would never go back.

Room Tip: Just ask but no one there is overly accomodating.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank annmarnj

Travellers are raving about these Montauk hotels

Farmingville, New York
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Sounds to me you should have rented a private house with a private beach. I'd hate to be on vaction with you no drinks, no music what vacation did you have. Our stay at the wavecrest was a blast. The office staff, cleaning people and the beach guys were great. I will definetely be back.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank joseph c
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montauk
2.4 km away
6.0 km away
Surf Club Resort
Surf Club Resort
#8 of 39 in Montauk

Been to Wavecrest Oceanfront Resort? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK