“Incredible Redesign to the Country Inn & Suites Brand” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cooperstown Inn & Suites at the Ballpark

Cooperstown Inn & Suites at the Ballpark
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Milford
Manahawkin, New Jersey
“Incredible Redesign to the Country Inn & Suites Brand”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2011

While traveling to visit friends and family in April, I crossed New York State from Jamestown in the West to Cooperstown in the East before crossing into Vermont. Along the way here, I took back roads off the Interstate to see some old New York towns up close and personal. I lodged for just 1 night at the newly renovated Country Inn & Suites along the way. Although the hotel is a few years old, in converting from the Howard Johnson chain to a Country Inn & Suites by Carlson, the hotel looks brand new again!

Upon arrival, the spacious lobby where complimentary breakfast is served provides a nice spot for relaxing or meeting friends before heading out for dinner. There's also a spot to pick up snacks, beverages, local memorabilia (like the Cooperstown version of Monopoly) or even a frozen treat you can prepare in your rooms microwave.

In addition to the microwave, each room features a fridge and flat screen TV, and a very comfortable bed. The rooms are all recently remodeled, and I loved the color scheme and design. Free internet is offered, as is coffee 24 hours a day. Morning Breakfast is a nice mix of hot selections and favorites like cereal, bagels, yogurt and juices. The hotel also has a nice size pool, including a kiddie pool and a hot tub. I didn't indulge these on my brief visit. All the staff I encountered were pleasant, smiling and/or greeted me as I passed in the hall.

The hotel is just outside of Cooperstown, and in minutes, you'll be downtown to explore the Baseball Hall of Fame, or any number of shops, restaurants and historic sites. I was visiting a friend who drove, but I'm guessing it was about 5 miles to Downtown. However, it's right next door to the Cooperstown Dream Park. I visited in the off-season, but in summer, expect to book early and pay well in this area during the high season. I was traveling solo, but in general you'll find Country Inns & Suites nationwide cater to families. If you're looking for a romantic escape, this may not be your first choice.

I would definitely return and recommend this 'like-new' gem in the Country Inn and Suites collection. I would also enjoy exploring the area for an entire weekend.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Holderness, Nh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2011

As a Howard Johnson's my stay here was OK. Now that it is a Country Inn my two night stay was wonderful. In my years of traveling I don't think I have ever met a more pleasant hotel staff. The breakfast provided was way above what I had expected. We will be back.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Syracuse, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2011

We stopped at this hotel after seeing billboards on the road to Cooperstown. We planned to stay overnight but did not make reservations. We were given a room with 2 queen beds that was excellent. The bed was very comfortable and the room was an excellent size. The towels were very plush and plentiful. The hot breakfast could of been hotter but my husband enjoyed his fresh made waffle.
We would stay at a Country Inn & Suites again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank mario51656
Syracuse, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

Very helpful and friendly staff. Very quiet room with good breakfast.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Eileen2305
Leesburg, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2011

I am not going to completely bash this hotel, because the things that mattered the most were fine....our room was clean, the bed was comfortable,& the location was convenient. However, this hotel has some issues. I think most of it relates back to poor management. The place is just run poorly.

First issue....rooms are non-refundable. I booked directly with the hotel and you cannot cancel without a $250 fee. Unacceptable, but not uncommon in the area. The wording is such that I didn't quite understand the policy until it was too late. No matter, in the end did not effect us, but still is ridiculous considering no other Country Inn and Suites we have stayed at has ever had that type of cancellation policy.

Second, they only keep one person on shift at night. That is unacceptable as well. Now to his credit, the night shift worker during our stay, Zack, did a fantastic job within the scope of his ability/power. He handled himself professionally during a difficult situation. He is a really young guy but handled himself with much more grace and maturity than many older adults would have. Because he was alone, it made it very hard for him to deal with check in issues like ours and take care of other guests and problems. Later in the evening, being alone left him to deal with extremely unruly kids in the pool. An entire team of boys (10-12 yr olds I would guess) left unsupervised in the pool. Poor Zack had to go deal with that. The brats were trying to throw a table into the pool! So while Zack was dealing with that, the front desk goes unattended. So a single worker on a shift is just poor management.

Thirdly, we did not have the proper room upon check in. I booked a a suite which was to have 2 queens and a sleeper sofa. I had the room type in writing on my confirmation page. There are 5 of us so this was important. When we arrived we were placed in a two queen room, no sleeper sofa, no ability to do a roll away. Not acceptable. Went down to the front desk and were sent to a double queen suite and we arrive in the room to find it had never been serviced.....dirty. Back to the front desk. No other rooms. So we were left with the option of squeezing into a double queen (for $249 a night....not acceptable!) or we could split our family and sleep in 2 rooms (no extra charge for that second room, wasn't that thoughtful). Because we could not be guaranteed that the day shift manager would approve a discount on our room rate, we opted for the two rooms. The rooms were on the same floor but not near each other. This was extremely inconvenient, but for one night we made due. Better that way so we all at least had a bed to sleep on. I will say, however, that housekeeping needs to improve a bit. The rooms we were placed in had been serviced, but in the one room we found dirty towels under the sink....and oversight I am sure, but still, not good. We didn't complain since by this point we were so fed up with the place, and honestly, complaining would have gotten us no where.

Fourth, the cost....outrageous! We were on vacation for 16 nights and this was by far our most expensive hotel. Not worth the expense at all, but they know there are limited options during the peak tourist season, so they have ya. It would be fine if the amenities matched the price, but they do not come close.

We would never stay at this hotel again nor recommend it to anyone. Find somewhere else as this management at this place has issues.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Suzibell
Also consider these accommodations in or near Milford
2.2 km away
8.4 km away
The Otesaga Resort Hotel
The Otesaga Resort Hotel
#2 of 16 in Cooperstown

Been to Cooperstown Inn & Suites at the Ballpark? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK