“Budget friendly and great views”

Best Western Plaza Hotel
Ranked #7 of 33 Hotels in Long Island City
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Budget friendly and great views”
Reviewed 15 June 2012

Yes, this isn't manhattan. So, buyer beware, you won't find ladies walking their dogs in strollers wearing diamond necklaces noshing on patee. However, this hotel was clean, the staff was friendly and we were able to get one of the few parking spots in the garage. My family and I loved the convenience to the subway. It was nice to come out of the city to a quiet room and get a good night's sleep. Pretentious people judging the people who live nearby apparently have bigger issues, so don't let those reviews sway you. No, it's not an awesome neighborhood, but there's no need to assume it's in any way violent/ghetto. My husband got an awesome sandwich from the deli nearby and the people we engaged on the street were respectful and friendly. I travelled with my husband and two young sons and never felt unsafe. The room was clean, well appointed and was totally worth the extra few bucks for the manhattan view. Free breakfast in the morning was a big bonus and Firoz (the breakfast attendant) was awesome to my boys. Fair warning: the breakfast is usually very busy, but not many other hotels had the breakfast included option as part of the room rate. I would definitely stay here again and have already recommended the hotel to family and friends as an alternative to staying in the hustle and bustle of the city. The "F" train took us everywhere we wanted to go and within minutes. One complaint was the housekeeping. They were reluctant to replenish items that you used, example: toilet paper, laundry bags, hand soap. Also, the only ice machine that had ice was in the breakfast room which was very inconvenient for our 8th floor room. Other than that very happy that this worked out for us. Nice job, Best Western Plaza Hotel!!

Room Tip: definitely pay the few extra bucks for a great manhattan view!!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Erica J
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2012

The best things about this hotel are as follows: 1) Very reasonable prices by New York standards; and 2) Fairly close to the subway station and a short commute into Manhattan.

However, there are a number of serious issues with this hotel:
1) The area surrounding the hotel is very dodgy. It's not too bad in the day-time (and the fact that it's only a 2 minute walk to the subway station helps) but I would not want to even do that 2 minute walk on my own at night. Luckily I had my boyfriend with me, so this wasn't an issue.

2) The WiFi service is appalling. They shouldn't even advertise free WiFi. We were at this hotel for 4 days, and in that time, we were probably able to connect to the WiFi for about 15 minutes. My boyfrend couldn't access it at all. There was consistenly the same error message that 'too many users were subscribed to the service', regardless of whether it was the middle of the night (12:30am) or as soon as we woke up in the morning. The only time I was able to access the WiFi was at around 11am, when everyone else must have left the hotel. This was a serious inconvenience to us, as my boyfriend had to go into the NY office the next day and didn't know how to get there. The front desk provided us with an ethernet cable, but even this didn't help, as it wasn't the WiFi itself that was the issue, it was the poor quality internet service. For a hotel of this size, they just need to fork out for more internet subscriptions, or just don't advertise free WiFi.

3) The breakfast room is about a third of the size that it needs to be. Every morning there were either people lurking about, watching you like a hawk so that the second you finished eating they could pounce on your table, or worse yet, trying to balance plates of breakfast food to take back to their bedrooms so they could eat the food there. The actual breakfast selection was pretty average as well. Great if you like to eat donuts for breakfast, but the healthier options were few and far between.

4) Smell: despite being on a non-smoking floor, the whole place smelled of cigarettes, enough to trigger a minor asthma attack!

5) Hotel Booking System: On our second-to-last day in the hotel, I received a call at 11:15am, asking why I hadn't checked out yet. When I said that we were staying another night, the front desk team told me that this wasn't in their booking system. I had added the additional day to my stay (and paid in advance) SIX WEEKS prior to arriving. It was lucky that I'd had a late start that day and so was on site to sort out the issue.
However, upon checking out the next day, the front desk team also then tried to charge me for the full stay (even though I'd paid in advance); when I explained this to the girl and showed her my receipt; she apologised but said that an extra charge had already been put onto my credit card (for what, I do not know) to the amount of $130! She then spent the next 15 minutes trying to refund this amount back to me.

Overall, despite the cheapness of the rates, I would not recommend staying at this hotel.

2 Thank Julianne P
Lac La Biche, Canada
Reviewed 5 June 2012

3 couples went to NY for a week, and I booked us at this hotel because of the price and clean bed bug review. Excellant staff, Hugo really stood out making sure we had a pleasnt stay and travels in NY. We got asked a few times during our trip, and people were always surprised that we picked Queens. It was a nice change from the busy Manhattan days we spent sight seeing. Excellant proximity to the subway. The F-Train (friendly) was close by. People were always ready to help with directions or help with suggestions on dining experiences. Thank You to all the friendly people of NY for the visit.

1 Thank 1proudalbertan
manchester
Reviewed 2 June 2012

Handy 2 minute walk to subway. But is located in what I can only describe as a ghetto. I was approached by 2 people begging for their next fix as I walked to the local shop on my first day. After that I had to get taxis in and out. You wouldn't want to walk outside at night. Also cafeteria like a cattle market after 7.30am.... far too small for a hotel that size. Also hotel behind sat right in the middle of city view.

• Stayed May 2012
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed 1 June 2012

The hotel is clean, well managed, and close to Manhattan. I have stayed here about 10 times in the past two years. Very special mention goes to the employee in charge of the free breakfast. His name is Firoz and he is especially helpful and courteous. He not only sets up the breakfast, he helps guests who need help and he clears the tables in the dining room. he is to be commended for the excelletn servie he provides.

1 Thank Marvinmarvin S