“Great Hotel, Bad Customer Service”

Best Western Plaza Hotel
Ranked #7 of 32 Hotels in Long Island City
Dundalk, Ireland
“Great Hotel, Bad Customer Service”
Reviewed 2 March 2012

I stayed here for two weeks when I first moved to the US while I was looking for an apartment. The room was lovely and comfortable, King size bed, flat screen tv, good bathroom and small fridge. It was cleaned everyday and the room service girls were lovely. The breakfast set up was good as you could go down during the hours of breakfast (6:30-9:30) pick up a bagel, and the eating area was open all day so you could avail of the toaster and microwave.

The hotel itself is located in a slightly dodgy and run-down area. I would not have been walking around alone, especially at night. The subway stop is only a two minute walk away and this F line will bring you straight into mid-town Manhattan in less than 10 minutes-this is the major perk of the hotel!!

My experience of the hotel overall was good but there were a few things for me that were a BIG let down. There was a concierge desk, yet on three occasions they could not help us get a car, we ended up calling ourselves. And as another reviewer said-beware of your credit card. On my first night I wanted to settle the bill with the receptionist, she took the card and said it was all done the total 15 nights were accounted for (my online banking confirmed that she debited the correct money) yet when I went to check out the receptionist was telling me I had not paid for one night, why I would not pay for one out of 15 nights is crazy, but I stood my ground and said I refused to pay as it was the first receptionists fault not mine. Yet this girl right in front of me said -'Oh well I just deducted that night off your card'. Without my permission-that was over $100 she just took from me-I was raging. And no manager to be seen when I asked..This turned my great stay sour!

Overall-I would tell people to stay here just watch your billing for your room!! I

Room Tip: Ask for the Manhattan view, as it is away from the roadside and very quiet.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sran_Sran
Bwplazalic33143, General Manager at Best Western Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 7 March 2012
Hello Sran_Sran,

The Best Western Plaza Hotel would like to thank you for taking out time and sharing with us your experience at our hotel! Your post has been beneficial to our hotel, for we take every guest experience, both positive and negative, and as a team, discuss improvements and create implementations to better serve our guests! We apologize for the frustrations in regards to billing; if you have current conflicts with your billing, please do call our hotel and we will fix any remaining concerns!

Sincere thanks,
The Best Western Plaza Hotel Management
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Milwaukee, WI
Reviewed 26 February 2012

My wife and I visited here in July 2011 and for the price we were very suprised at the quality of this place. The Hotel looked like it was recently either renovated or remodeled it was very modern. The front desk staff was great and very helpful with local eateries in queens when we wanted to stay near hotel. The Rooms were great , clean and very comfortable (especialy the bed) The area is very multi cultured so for teh one or two crazies you see a hand full of working class so we werent to worried. The train is about a block away so that was very convenient. Overall i would definatly stay here again..

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Romero M
Hello Romero,

The Best Western Plaza is delighted your found your stay with us back in July 2011 enjoyable! In future trips to New York City, we do hope you stay with us again, for there will always be a comfortable bed waiting!

Warm regards,
Boston, MA
Reviewed 21 February 2012

On our second visit to this so-called smoke free property, we were driven out of our 6th floor corner room due to the smoking of multiple substances by the inhabitant of the room next to ours. At 4am my wife woke to an asthma attack brought on by the combination of what must have been both marijuana and tobacco smoke from next door. The sound of one person laughing out loud led us to think that only one person was involved. My wife went to the front desk, where she was told that they knew who was there. We were moved to another room for the remainder of the night (at 5am) and returned to our regular room the next morning, after the offender had checked out.
There was no apology, and no offer to make any amends for our inconvenience. On our check out, I left a detailed note for the hotel's manager, and was assured that I would hear back from him. One week later I emailed him, since I had heard nothing. It is now four days later, and I have received no communication. I called this afternoon, but was told that the manager, Ankit, was not in his office. It was 2pm!
Although this property is convenient to our relatives' apartment, we will not be staying here any longer. For the same prices, you can have a cleaner room, a friendlier staff, a responsive front desk, and a newer facility at the Four Points Sheraton 3 blocks away. We have stayed there, as well, and that is where we will be from now on.

Room Tip: This is not the safest area. When we parked behind the building, a police car pulled up to warn us...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Hello Bnwilensky,

The Best Western Plaza would like you to know your review regarding your stay with us has not been overlooked. We find review posts such as yours to be valuable and essential for improvements within our hotel. Our hotel is a non smoking policy and it is always unfortunate when policy is broken; we do apologize for any discomforts. On your next visit to see your relatives, we do hope you will give our hotel another chance, we assure you your experience will be different! Thank you for your candor, we really do appreciate it!

Much gratitude,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2012

I stayed at this hotel with my husband in October 2011; that was our first trip to nyc, and we had booked this hotel based on reviews on this site. We were in 2 minds about it as the reviews were very mixed, but we thought we'd book it anyway, and then make up our own minds. Well, it turned out to be the right decision. Firstly, the hotel is located under 5 mins walk from the nearest subway station, which takes you to all Manhattan locations in less than 15 mins. So even though it is not centrally located, it is still very accessible, making it possible to come back to the hotel in the middle of the day for a quick nap or break from all the shopping and sightseeing before heading out again. A quick note about the location: as some travellers indicated, the area is not exactly "posh" - whatever that means- and I guess that it could even be described as "dodgy"; however, it is very safe; we used to go out at night and come back in the wee hours, there would be locals around, hood wearing youths hanging around the subway station, minding their own business, and nothing ever happened to us. If anything, people seemed friendly and laid back, certainly not the aggressive types that a lot of us are used to in our own cities. So yes, it is a deprived area, but a safe area nonetheless.
As for the hotel itself, it is very clean; our room was cleaned everyday, including the bathroom, towels changed everyday. Our double bed was very comfy, and the room, overlooking a very busy street, was adequately sound proofed, as we barely heard a noise during our stay. The continental- american style breakfast of bagels, danish, doughnuts, fruit, cereals, bread and yogurt was adequate, although if you like cooked breakfasts, this probably won't cater for your needs, as there are no hot items. But then, if your omelette cravings get the better of you, you can go to the cafe next door and get a very cheap hot breakfast there.
The breakfast room is small, it is self service, and you will need to clear your table yourself as there is no waiting staff to do it for you; i would recommend getting there before 8 am as it gets very busy very quickly and you might have to wait for a table if you leave it until too late. As for the staff, we found them to be very helpful and professional; a note about the seemingly controversial Martia (or is it Marcia): I wouldn't take the negative comments about her too seriously. Yes, she is not your "smile from ear to ear" sort of person; she won't ask you about your day and won't pretend to be interested in how much you paid for your last pair of socks; but then, why would you want her to be like that? She is friendly, professional, fast and effective, just not over the top friendly. She will answer your questions patiently, tell you everything that you need to know in a very professional, polite tone, but won't offer you a hot chocolate and biscuit to make the experience more gratifying. Personally, i'm fine with that.
So all in all, this was a very good value for money hotel, fit for purpose, in a convenient, accessible location. I will definitely consider it again for my next trip to nyc.

Room Tip: if you're really paranoid about noise levels, book a room on the quiet side, away from the main...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank khadijaassoudi
Hello khadijaox81,

The Best Western Plaza Hotel is very elated you found your stay here with us convenient, friendly, and of great value! We appreciate all the details of your experience with us you shared and as well as tips you provided for our TripAdvisor readers! We will be sure to deliver your kind praise to Marcia! Hope to see you again!

Many thanks,
New York City, New York
Reviewed 17 February 2012

An absolutely harrowing experience -- the hotel put multiple holds on my card over an extended stay, double-charged me, and then never released the holds! The manager disappeared whenever I attempted to get him to address the problem, and I have yet to finish resolving what has now become a $3000 mess with my bank!

I feel bad leaving such an awful review, as the actual staff was nice, and the hotel was very convenient, but clearly the management are either incompetent, or outright thieves. Stay elsewhere, or be sure to pay in cash and use a card you don't need for security...

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo