“Nicest local Indian”

Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 29 August 2016

Over the last 20 years numerous hole-in-the wall South Asian restaurants have opened in our area, but Karavalli has always been a cut above. With the recent close of Sitar, Karavalli is now the indisputable crown jewel.
I had never heard it as rowdy as last night, but soon after we were seated the party responsible for most of the noise finished and left. About 75% of the tables were South Asians; the four gentlemen next to us for dinner had apparently been there for lunch as well.
Service was great - the food was excellent. We had a vegetarian meal: Tandoori vegetables, palak with paneer (spinach with chunks of cheese), a half portion of the dark dal (they have both yellow and mixed lentil dal), and the chili onion naan. The dal was probably the most flavorful I'd had. We talked about going back sometime for a dal lunch.

1  Thank NossonMeir

Reviewed 11 August 2016

Excellent overall. Walking distance from my hotel. Extensive menu. My take out order included all the sauces and actually lasted me two days!

Reviewed 11 August 2016 via mobile

recommend the weekend buffet-it's the best!!!! good malai kofta!! recommend and its in a very safe and well know location!

Reviewed 1 August 2016

This was our first visit. We arrived at 7:30 on a Friday and the restaurant was nearly full. We were seated right away. About 1/3 the parties were Indian which is always a good sign (We're not but we eat Indian food once or twice a month). The dining room was 'city loud' due to the number of parties that were all having lively discussion. It was more festive than annoying.

The waiter took our orders promptly and delivered the drinks right away. despite the fact that they were very busy with both seated and take out customers our entries came fairly quickly. The portions were large and loved them both. Chicken Vindaloo ($15) has 3 peppers and a 'HOT' warning on the menu. It was very spicy but not so much that we couldn't eat it. It was great. Palak Paneer ($13) was mild and very tasty. It's my wife's favorite Indian dish and she was very pleased. We took some of each home for lunch the next day.

Reading some reviews on Google multiple posters complained about the service. Perhaps they have responded to those because that Friday they were fully staffed and we had excellent service. Also, the kitchen seems to be big on presentation. We will definitely eat there again on our next visit to Saratoga.

Reviewed 25 July 2016

I'm giving this restaurant a 4 b/c after ensuring to make a reservation during "track opening weekend" (which of course is one of the busiest times in Saratoga) I still had to wait almost a half hour for my table to be ready. I honestly don't think they honor any reservations, as I observed them just seating people as they come in. They apologized for the wait, but did nothing at all to compensate for it (heck, some comped Naan would have been great ;-)

The ambiance isn't anything special - some vivid yellow walls with some Indian art thrown here and there. So if you're looking for something warm & romantic this is not the place. However, if you are looking for some pretty decent solid Indian food, then by all means give it a try! We ordered garlic Naan which was excellent; chicken with spinach (chicken tikka saag) which had the most amazing flavors that made me mmmmm with every bite; my boyfriend got the lamb phaal which was super duper SPICY!!! It was so spicy he had tears rolling down his face while he ate it (which made me laugh so hard, I had tears rolling down my face too). However, he thoroughly enjoyed each and every fiery bite! Thankfully he also ordered a side of Raita to try to cool his palate off a bit (didn't work - LOL!) And of course what is Indian food without a nice bottle of Kingfisher beer - we ordered 2 bottles (however, they def could have been served much colder - they were cold but we like our beers to be ice cold, especially with Indian food.)

All in all a very good meal and I would absolutely return for some more deliciousness at a future date.

Been to Karavalli? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK