“A Magical Resort”
Review of Fundu Lagoon

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Pemba Island
Fundu Lagoon
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Pemba Island
Reviewed 6 August 2017

Myself and my wife visited Fundu for a week at the end of March this year, following a safari in Kenya. We were on our honeymoon and it was the perfect destination to go to after a safari. We loved everything about Fundu; the resort itself is located on a beautiful secluded beach, the food is of an extremely high quality, the service was also excellent and the staff themselves are very friendly and helpful, they constantly went over and above to ensure we had the best stay possible. The glamorous beach huts are also fantastic and spacious, and we particularly enjoyed our candle lit dinner on the beach on our last evening.

It is a truly magical place and we hope we are luck enough to visit it again some time! Thanks again to everyone at Fundu for making this such a wonderful trip. We would absolutely recommend Fundu to anyone looking for an amazing experience.

Mark and Hayley

Room Tip: Make sure to hit the Jetty Bar for an aperitif before dinner!
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
ellis f, Creative Director at Fundu Lagoon, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2017

How very kind of you to write such a lovely review of your holiday with us earlier this year in March. I'm so glad that you found Fundu to be the perfect antidote to the early morning starts and busy days of a safari - it's definitely better to do things that way round!

I am very proud of the high standard of service that we offer to our guests at Fundu Lagoon, and it's always a pleasure to read such wonderful compliments right across the board. I'm glad that you enjoyed your tented accommodation and also your candle lit dinner on the beach for your last evening.

I agree with you that Fundu Lagoon is a 'truly magical' place, and I too hope that we will be able to welcome you on to Fundu's jetty again at a future date. Thank you also for your recommendation to other people who might be looking to visit us - it is very much appreciated. Many congratulations on your recent marriage, and all of us at Fundu Lagoon wish you a long and happy life together.

c.c. Ramon Ribes (Manager)

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Fundu Lagoon

Reviewed 6 July 2017

We loved Fundu Lagoon. All of the structures here blended in very well with the environment - it didn't feel like a 'cookie cutter' chain hotel. The food was excellent as were the cocktails. The meals aren't always served in the main restaurant which we liked - sometimes by the pool or down at the beach. We also liked that there was a happy hour out on their jetty during sundown. The staff were well trained. Plenty of little spots around the hotel to just sit and have a drink or read. Although Pemba is a predominately Muslim island, the hotel is secluded enough that we didn't feel inappropriate in our swim wear while sunbathing or walking on the beach. It was a beautiful quiet resort while we really did feel like we could get away from everything. I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank Yesdnyl
ellis f, Creative Director at Fundu Lagoon, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2017

Thank you so much for your wonderful review of your recent holiday with us at Fundu Lagoon. I am delighted that you and your friends enjoyed the time that you spent with us, and that you felt that the design of the resort fits in so well with our jungle location. When the hotel was first conceived, and I was working on its layout, materials such as bright white concrete, super shiny reflective glass and tarmac were banned textures in my mind, so I’m glad you all enjoyed the Robinson Crusoe look. I particularly liked your description of Fundu not resembling a ‘cookie cutter’ hotel chain – that’s a great phrase that I might well borrow in the future, so many thanks!

Ramon will be very happy to read your kind words about our staff, and to hear that you enjoyed the variety of food choices that we have on offer to our guests. Sundowner cocktails on the jetty bar are definitely the perfect way to end a day, I agree, but I was also glad to learn that you felt that the resort had plenty of places for you to escape to, and read a book or daydream in peace and quiet.

Thank you for pointing out that you felt comfortable sunbathing on the beach. As you correctly point out, we are in a Muslim country, and Fundu Lagoon has always been extremely respectful of this fact. Over the 15+ years since Fundu has been open, our staff and the local people are used to seeing how Westerners dress when they are sunbathing and walking along the beach. Provided no female is topless, they are very tolerant of the way in which we dress.

Feedback from our clients is really important to us, so thank you again for taking the time to write your review, and also for your high recommendation to other potential guests.

Reviewed 20 June 2017

Everything about Fundu is amazing. To start with you arrive to the resort by speed boat and then are welcomed by the friendly manager, Ramone. We arrived after 10am and were immediately taken to breakfast were the staff were friendly and welcoming. The breakfast choice is great and caters to everyone. After breakfast we were taken to our room when we noticed we had been given a free upgrade to the 'superior suite' which was phenomenal: huge terrace with a plunge pool with private beach access, beautiful room with hardwood floors and additional duplex terrace with sofa and sunbeds and chairs.

Other points to mention include the large infinity pool with a great view of the ocean, the jetty bar where they serve happy hour cocktails and the tasty food. All food was delicious and locally produced and the service was really good. We also took a snorkeling trip to neighboring Misali island which had beautiful coral and fish and had some beautiful and quiet beaches. Again the staff were friendly and well-trained and we enjoyed this morning trip out of the resort.

Pemba has a lot more forest cover than neighboring Zanzibar and that adds to the atmosphere as you definitely feel more secluded and in amongst the wildlife which included numerous bush babies and monkeys.

I would definitely recommend this resort as I imagine it would exceed most people's expectations.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
ellis f, Creative Director at Fundu Lagoon, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2017

How terrific to receive your wonderful review of your recent stay with us at Fundu Lagoon. You are actually the very first reviewer of our new season, and just after I'd read your kind words, I saw that another e-mail from Trip Advisor had arrived into my Inbox, informing me that Fundu Lagoon has been awarded a 2017 Certificate of Excellence, based on the consistently high standard of reviews we've received, so I am thrilled to bits and extremely proud of the great level of service that Ramon and all of our staff offer to all of our guests.

I am delighted that you both enjoyed your free upgrade to your Superior Suite, and I think your description of your accommodation as being 'phenomenal' is spot on! Our chefs will be so happy to hear that you appreciated the food they prepared - we do indeed try to use as much local produce as possible, which is good for us and also good for our local farming community. I'm glad that you enjoyed your snorkelling trip to Misali and that our dive team looked after you both so well.

I would agree with you that there is definitely a big difference between Pemba Island and the very built up main island of Zanzibar. As you saw, we are so fortunate in being surrounded by the most beautiful flora, fauna and wildlife, both above and below the sea.

Thank you again for taking the time to write your review, and also for recommending Fundu Lagoon to others who might be considering staying with us. Your comments are very much appreciated.

Reviewed 2 April 2017

From the minute we stepped onto the speedboat at Mkoani Harbour on Pemba Island we knew we were about to experience something very special and we were not disappointed. Fundu Lagoon mixes style, comfort and luxury perfectly.
We stayed in a beach access villa which was comfortable, kept immaculately clean through our the holiday and really created a feeling of being at one with nature.
The food is amazing, especially the seafood. During our 7 night stay we were treated to a private dinner on the beach, sunset dining on the jetty and an amazing beach barbecue on our last evening.
The attention to detail and the use of local sustainable products and produce is constantly evident as you walk around the resort (barefoot on the sandy paths).
We took a half day snorkelling trip to Masali Island, a first for us, and were blown away with the condition of the reef and the bountiful variety of tropical fish we saw, for divers this must be one of the top places to visit on earth now.
Last but not least the staff. Ramon the manager was fantastic, always available for advice and keen to hear the highlights of our day over a sundowner at the jetty bar.
In fact all the staff were friendly, helpful and attentive and I want to make a special mention of Kessy and Filbert who are both genuinely lovely people.
We will certainly have to go a long way to beat Fundu Lagoon and we do hope to be able to return before too long.

Stayed: March 2017
4  Thank Kevin B
ellis f, Creative Director at Fundu Lagoon, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2017

What a wonderful review to read as we come to the end of our 2016 season. Thank you so much for your kind words. I share your feelings with regard to stepping on to the speedboat at Mkoani Harbour - that sense of being about to go to somewhere special is always there every time I return to Fundu and board the boat.

I'm so pleased that you enjoyed every single aspect of your holiday with us, right through from your spotless accommodation to our varied menus and dinner locations. As the Creative Director of Fundu Lagoon, I was particularly delighted to read that you noted the attention to detail and use of local sustainable products around the hotel. We hope to be able to extend our relatively new enterprise where the local farmers grow certain fruit and vegetables which the hotel buys from them - I'm very happy that you picked up on that too. I agree with you that Ramon is a 'fantastic manager', and I know he will be delighted to read all of your comments about him, Kessy and all of our staff.

Misali is indeed a wonderful place to explore the protected coral reef, either by diving or by snorkelling. It is a very popular dive site for our guests under the expert tuition and guidance of Filbert and the dive team.

Thank you again for taking the time to write your review - it is genuinely appreciated. Ramon, and all of us at Fundu Lagoon look forward to the opportunity to welcome you both back to the resort at a future date.

Reviewed 25 March 2017

If you are considering to come to Pemba,please DON'T STAY HERE!!!!! You just gonna spend allot of money for allot of smoke, this place is A BIG FAKE!!!!
Just getting there is a nightmare,horrible!! to end up getting eaten up alive from the sand flies on the beach and from the biggest bloodsucker on two feet.

AVOID IT LIKE THE PEST,it's not even worth half the rack rates.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
14  Thank LoveSun50
ellis f, Creative Director at Fundu Lagoon, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2017

I must apologise for the delay in not acknowledging the comments you posted on Trip Advisor before now, but we have been trying, and unsuccessfully so far, to discover your identity! We have looked through all of our records for our Italian guests for February, and our entire season to be honest, but we cannot find any trace of who you might be and are totally baffled. Would you be so kind as to let us know the exact dates that you stayed with us in February, and also the number of the bungalow that you were allocated?

Understandably, with such serious comments that you have posted about our resort, it is of paramount importance that we establish which guests you were before we are able to reply in full to your allegations. I look forward to hearing from you.

Many thanks.