“Paradise Pemba”
Review of Fundu Lagoon

Fundu Lagoon
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Pemba Island
Reviewed 9 November 2009

We loved every second of our stay at Fundu! The tents that we had where outstanding and very clean. We had 2 standard tents and a superior suite (wich was to good to be true) on the beach! We where here with my family and we agreed this was the perfect honeymoon place. The food was exellent and the special diner on the beach fantastic. The watersports where a bit expensive,. If you already pay a lot of money we expected that the watersports ( like waterski) where included. Fundu Lagoon is something we never forget in our lives! A shame Matt and Annie where not here when we left. They where very friendly and enthousiastic.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank fleurentijm

Reviewed 4 November 2009

The hotel (more of a resort) is in a beautiful location which can only be accessed by speedboat. There are only 18 rooms (all well hidden among the trees) but they cover a vast area ensuring privacy and nowhere is ever too crowded. They aren't so much rooms, more a cross between a very luxurious villa and a tent, but they are spacious and extremely comfortable. The service is brilliant - attentive and yet unintrusive and the managers Matt and Annie are most welcoming - the bottle of bubbles on arrival was much appreciated! Food is great and a lot of choice, likewise drinks. A perfect balance between spending time relaxing as a couple and being able to chat to others who were also doing the same thing. The pool is great and the beach on nearby Masali is stunning (the underwater scenery is even more impressive). The beach by the hotel is less scenic, but the sand and the water are still gorgeous - it just has more of a tide and the locals pass through collecting cockles. Overall a fabulous place with a great atmosphere.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank holfanUk
Reviewed 29 October 2009

I'm going to buck the trend here a little by not giving an unequivocal, gushing, oh-it-was-complete-paradise-I-wish-I’d-died-right-there type review. However, before I talk about the little glitches I’d like to say that for the most part I agree with the reviews here – the setting is beautiful, the staff are very nice and generally it’s a very lovely holiday location. I certainly would recommend it to my friends, which is the true test, but I would also mention some idiosyncrasies that they (and you) should be aware of. Like many others I went to Fundu on my honeymoon, after having stayed at some of the wonderful Elewana safari lodges the previous week.

We were welcomed by the manager, when we arrived, although this was the last time we saw him or his wife until the day we left. We didn’t see them in the dining area or bar to checking out how people we doing, making small talk or checking whether we needed anything, something we’d been used to on the small safari lodges. A bit of a friendlier approach would have been welcome but certainly not a crisis.

Am I the only person who found the order process in the restaurant somewhat longwinded? You stand at the entrance to the restaurant and order what you would like for all 3 courses by checking from the blackboard. You tell the woman what you want, then go and find a seat. Then they bring your dinner and hopefully it’s what you ordered. Why can’t you order at your table like normal places? One morning I had to wait 20mins of coffee despite several desperate pleas to roaming staff. House wine wasn’t too awful, which is just as well because ‘premium’ wine was very expensive (I assume because of shipping in from mainland and local taxes). I also found it irritating that we had to constantly sign for drinks, even though it’s all inclusive. I can only assume this is to ensure the staff aren’t pilfering (similarly you have to book spa treatments at the reception and not at the spa). The service was a bit… variable. You can take this as a quaint quirkiness of the place or it can drive you mad, depending on your disposition.

The pool area is lovely, and even though Fundu was full when we were there, we never saw more than 4 couples around the pool area. The food up there is great for lunch too. Unfortunately the beach is not as well utilised. It goes out a long way at low tide, there aren’t many sun beds on the beach and there are no towels or bar service we could see. The beach was deserted when we were there and generally it just didn’t seem very welcoming.

I actually have to disagree with my travel agent who claimed ‘there are no bad rooms in Fundu’. The standard rooms are small and pretty basic. If you are intending to go to Fundu, save up a bit extra and shell out for the more expensive rooms with the private plunge pools; they are bigger and I think better positioned.

Also, probably an obvious point but Fundu is directly within the island jungle. So anything that can bite, sting, slither, swing, cry or howl is there. If you suffer from insect bites then you might have a rough time. I was eaten alive by sand flies from 2 beach barbeques and spent several days scratching at my ankles, and don’t get me started about the black millipedes – urgh.

But really I’m nit-picking. Fundu is very nice, food is pretty good, staff are nice and the setting is lovely.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
6  Thank BasherLondon
Reviewed 28 October 2009

When going on honeymoon you only have the brochure to go on and you have a feeling of 'oh my god what if its not very nice' when approaching. However, in the case of Fundu we were blown away, well above expectation from the arrival and greeting, to the time we saw our room/s, the unspoit ambiance of the surroundings, the facilities and the willingness of the staff to ensure that our stay was perfect, which I have to say it was!!!
Diving stunning, Sport fishing an adventure Thanks Rusty!!!
A few tears were shed by my other half when we finally left.
I would find it difficult to fault the stay in any way and to be quite frank, those that can, obviously did not do their homework prior to booking and probably were not suited to that style of location in the first place.. Can't wait to go back!!!!!!! wayne & Emma

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 September 2009

We stayed at Fundu Lagoon post safari to relax and rest up. A great, small beach resort w/ outstanding service.

Was upgraded to a Superior Room which was outstanding. 2 level outdoor sitting area, large private dip pool--all right on the beach. The resort definitely has a Robinson Crusoe/Swiss Family Robinson vibe to it. If you like thatched huts and bamboo, you'll be right at home--we were.

I've read other reviews where people complained about the beach (drastic high/low tide=lots of debris and radical differences in beach geography), but we found w/ the our own dip pool, the great pool up high above the resort and the pristine beaches of Misali Island (just 15-20 min boat ride away), we didn't miss having a walk right in beach right in front of us.

Food is good-very good and available. Dining room, restaurant at the pool and room service are all available. They also set up a beach BBQ w/ tables set up right on the beach just meters away from the water.

Best:
-Jetty Bar: Amazing sunsets and ultimate relaxation out above the water
-Pool: high above the resort, plenty of lounge chairs and good food and drink
-Spa: Two Balinese therapists gave terrific massages
-Beach BBQ dinner: very romantic, don't miss it
-Sunset sail: on Mon and Fri; complimentary and a great way to end a day

Worst:
-Beach: as noted above, this is a small nit as between Misali, the pool and your own accommodations to occupy your desire to be in the water.
-Bugs and creepy crawlies: Lots of bugs (mosquitoes) and things crawling around (snakes, giant centipedes, etc). Not a major drawback but don't want people to be surprised by this

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple