“Fantastic staff and location”
Review of Fundu Lagoon

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Pemba Island
Fundu Lagoon
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Pemba Island
Reviewed 16 December 2011

I echo recent reviews amazed at some of the comments regarding the staff and food here.
Apart from the actual location, the staff and the food were the high points.

It really is a lovely place and the majority of the reviews have given a very good description of what's on offer.

I have a couple of points that are not meant to be negative but that i feel should be pointed out.

Firstly, the accomodation is not actually that luxurious. You are, in effect in a tent, rather like the tented camps on safari....there is no bath, just a shower...and the toilets are cut off from the bedroom with just a sheet. Very comfortable etc but don't be expecting well appointed five star luxury.

Secondly, I was there on honeymoon and had booked all the extras for a honeymoon couple..Massage, private beach dinner etc. There was no mention of it at all on our arrival or at any point during the 4 days we were there. I had to go to reception to order all the bits and pieces. It was no problem and maybe I was expecting some sort of fanfare but I just thought that as a place that seems to get a huge number of honeymooners, they would make more of a song and dance.

Thirdly and not a Fundu issue - Sand Flies....I had survived 8 days in Tanzania without any bites whatsoever but after one evening here I had 18 bites on one foot !! i don't know what the answer is - normal repellent did not seem to work with them.

Anyway...The positives far outweighted the negatives...fantastically nice people...great food. the ability to socialise or not, no pressure to do anything at all if you don't want to.

It could be a once in a lifetime sort of place...We may not be able to afford to go back but taking the three points above into account, I would higly recommend it.

2  Thank Jabei
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Fundu Lagoon

Reviewed 14 December 2011

Han sido tres días de descanso en el mas amplio sentido de la palabra. Las suites de Fundu son mas que especiales, y la tranquilidad que se respira no deja de impresionar. Todo el personal te trata de una forma muy especial, y tanto las comidas, como bebidas, y servicios en general con excelentes. Ojo, no se trata de un hotel al uso, ni de aires acondicionados, sino de toda una experiencia al natural.
Y el buceo en Misali island es espectacular, vale mucho la pena pasar el día en esa isla, aun mas distanciados del mundo si cabe

Room Tip: No doubt. Go for suites if you can afford them.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JH2007
Reviewed 22 November 2011

So, prior to my trip I read reviews on Trip Advisor and anyone who wrote a negative comment must have been in a different location to us.
I read that staff were surly - what a load of rubbish. The staff are all wonderful, they laugh with you and did everything they could to make our holiday everything we hoped. Even those that did not speak great English said hello and it is amazing how far it goes if you make the effort to learn just a little Swahili.

We went to the Fundu Lagoon to celebrate our 10th Wedding Anniversary and we were not disappointed with anything - the whole team made us feel special however special thanks must go to Liz, Magy, Clay Junior and Interview Down.

Rooms - yes it is a tent! As the website shows, so no surprise there then. The bathroom was more than adequate - the shower tray is wood and there was more room than some hotels I have stayed in.

Food - we had absolutely no complaints here either. Breakfast was excellent and if you could not find anything you liked something would be made. Lunch - the main dining room had great choice and the Pool Bar had snacks that were great. Dinner was always good and even if some people did not like the Swahili night we did. The BBQ was excellent and there was never a lack of food - and if you wanted more you only had to ask.

Great bars - great fun - great place.

We spent 11 nights here and I would go back in an instant. Both my husband and I thought that this was paradise and we especially loved seeing the dolphins.

The only negative we could find was that we really wanted a glass and metal lift to take us to the Infinity Pool! (HA!)

Room Tip: All rooms are great - we stayed in a standard room on the hillside, initially we considered upgradin...
6  Thank Stephaniebb
Reviewed 17 November 2011

We spent 6 idyllic nights at Fundu, at the start of November this year. There's no point in me repeating what others have said (so well) about the place itself - it's perfect. I've just read (with utter disbelief) what one sole reviewer has put on here regarding the staff and food (not a glowing report - 2nd August). The staff (in my opinion) are absolute sweethearts. Hannes was a star, and rather selfishly(!) had to go on holiday the day after we got there. He left the place in the very capable hands of Lizzie and William. They were CONSTANTLY checking on all the guests, making sure everyone was happy. They did not go to bed until the last guest went to bed, such was their commitment. The waiting staff were great, always friendly and smiling. the food was lovely (French toast for breakfast is delicious) and always hot. When they mentioned that house wine and cocktails were included in the price, we expected plonk. Wrong. The South African house wines were very good. And if you do want to treat yourself, they have a good selection to buy. Ditto for the cocktails. The bar staff are as good (actually better) than most here in London.
We also had a massage one day - the Balinese staff are angels and pinpointed a problem area on my back without my mentioning it and I left feeling fantastic and without a sore back for the first time in years.
The icing on the cake was a private beach barbecue that Lizzie helped me organise as a surprise for my boyfriend. It blew us both away. A chef and 2 waiters to ourselves and the best barbecued lobster I have ever had.
If you're reading this and wondering whether or not to go (like I admit I did) - GO! We've been lucky to have stayed in some of the top hotels in the world. They may be comparable with Fundu for the hard product (rooms/bed/food) but where Fundu has the edge is their people. From the guy sweeping the beach in the morning to Hannes William and Lizzie, they are the ones that make the place what it is.
We will certainly be back.

4  Thank stuandjav
Reviewed 3 November 2011

Fundu Lagoon is beyond paradise. The resort is only accessibly by boat and was built into the island with as little disruption to the area as possible. The resort itself is beautiful, and the views from the resort over the ocean are unbelievable. The sunset over the water was like an event every night!

We had a superior suite so our room was pretty much on the beach, and we had our own plunge pool and spacious bedroom and living areas. It was very quiet and private, which was great. The room was comfortable, huge comfy bed, multiple sitting areas, two showerheads, and their own shampoo, conditioner, and shower gels. Twice a day housekeeping (in the morning to clean and make up the bed, and in the evening for turn-down service and to put out the mosquito net over the bed). The plunge pool was also cleaned daily. Add room service to the mix, and we never had to leave the room, if we didn't want to.

We did leave our room, though, because the rest of the resort is amazing as well. The main pool is a beautiful infinity pool. The restaurant/bar by the pool is where we usually ate lunch, and we frequently saw monkeys running around, which was fun to watch. The main restaurant is beautiful too, and it overlooks the ocean (as does everywhere in the resort). The food is pretty top-notch, especially when you consider how remote it is and how difficult it must be to make the most of what they have access to. Obviously, fresh fish is very abundant, so that's always great. The french toast at breakfast is delicious.

The service was extremely friendly; there are smiles all over this place. Hannes (the manager), Alex (one of the owners), and William (the welcoming committee?) were always walking around, interacting with guests, and making us feel welcome.

We did some diving as well. It was my first time scuba diving, and I was very nervous, but Filbert was a great instructor and very patient with me. They took us out to the stunningly beautiful Misali Island for our dive. Granted, I have no frame of reference, but I thought we saw some pretty awesome fish and reefs.

I would absolutely go back to Fundu Lagoon, and I hope I get the chance to someday.

Room Tip: I don't think there's a bad room here. But the superior suites are incredible spacious and r...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple