“Quaint, inexpensive, hotel close to Main Street”

The Pines Inn of Lake Placid
Ranked #7 of 13 Lake Placid B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 January 2017

Great family run hotel just up the hill from Main Street. Owners are very friendly & helpful, plenty of good tips for dining outside of the usual touristy fare. Rooms are not large but comfortable. (television is very small but who cares, you're not there to watch tv) No elevator. Room locks are old school - keys not pass cards!! If you're looking for something fancy with lots of amenities, then this isn't the place for you.

Room Tip: Rooms on the rear side of the hotel are the quietest.

Reviewed 2 January 2017

The positive? Close to main street. The rest......Room was filthy. The sheets were stained, the floor was covered in hair, there was a raisin stuck to the comforter, the tub had mold in it, the mirror in the bathroom was dirty, the lock for the room door required two hands and some twisting to open it, the bathroom window did not shut the whole way and could not be locked when you took a shower the water in the tub backed up to your ankles.

My wife asked me not to complain and just enjoy the real reason we were there, the beautiful Adirondacks and time spent together. The longer I spent in the room (the second day) it became clear I could not hold my tongue. After my autistic son left the entrance door open a little too long and a comment was made, it was my queue to speak.
I took some photos of the conditions of the room and showed them to Jill. She expressed concern and asked if we would like housekeeping to clean the room now. ( No, I would have liked it swept, new sheets, no raisin stuck to the comforter, toilet seat cleaned, bathroom window shut properly and lock that worked correctly before we checked in) I told her my daughter was still asleep and she mentioned the housekeeper left at 3 (I think) so if we wanted it cleaned we would need to do it before then. We were also told the maid would have cleaned the room but the Do Not Disturb sign was out. Prior to our arrival? The beds were made so someone was in there.

My wife asked again for me to let it go. So I did. We used a wet towel to clean the floor. I left the raisin on the comforter….

I thought, at the minimum, complementary sodas or drinks may be in order but no.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
2  Thank Willaim H
Reviewed 2 January 2017

The location of the Pines Inn is superb - there is a small hill you'll have to walk when going/coming from town, however the proximity to all the shops, restaurants, activities right in town is ideal.

The style is a little more older than modern, but the accommodations were clean and the bed comfortable.

The owners were super friendly - from check in to the daily ins and outs and offers to provide ice for our cooler.

A good find if you're looking for a place to stay that's close to everything, and not looking to spend a lot of time in the room. Restaurant on site smelled amazing (BBQ) - although we never had a chance to check it out.

Reviewed 12 December 2016

We stayed at The Pines this weekend. For the price, it was a decent place. However, if you are looking for a lot of amenities or brand-new furnishings, look elsewhere. We liked it there, but there is peeling paint and it has a bit of an older feel. This is not to turn away customers, just to inform. It was not unclean or in serious disrepair, it's just dated and has an old hotel feel..

Reviewed 10 October 2016 via mobile

My husband booked this hotel for a fall weekend getaway, and I when I read the reviews I was slightly nervous - not because I care about the petty things people wrote about, but because I always want to have a real experience when I go somewhere. I very rarely write reviews, but thought I owed it to the travelers like us who are not as finicky as some (who love to write reviews). This place is the real deal. 5 min walk uphill from the main street, but worlds away. You are close to the action, but you aren't in a hotel - you are in a family's home. You will certainly meet the owners and they will share with you anything you want to know, like old friends. The Inn is warm, and has the all the character you would want. Common spaces with people from all over talking. An experience. If you want to lock yourself in your hotel room, this place isn't for you. Sure, our bed wasn't great. Some peeling paint in the bathroom...but if you've ever lived or walked into an old house, these things shouldn't surprise you. Trust me, you'll live. You should also not be surprised considering they price rooms very reasonable for the location. Our room was clean, but we spent more time outside exploring and in the lobby anyway. We always do. If you have the right attitude, you will even enjoy it. I would love to see the place at Christmas. Something to put on our bucket list.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hadley B
lakeplacidjill, Owner at The Pines Inn of Lake Placid, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2016

Thank you so much - so happy you enjoyed staying here with us and love how you seem to love Lake Placid! Our door is always open ... Jill