“Had too high expectations”
Review of Saranac Sourdough

Saranac Sourdough
Ranked #44 of 105 Restaurants in Lake Placid
Cuisines: Deli
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed 2 January 2017

Was really excited to visit and get a great, fresh, locally baked sourdough. Service not all that personable. A couple of breads not available as advertised on their website. Purchased a loaf of multi-grain seeded sourdough - asked for it sliced, and it was cut by hand in front of me, in uneven slices and not fully through the entire loaf (odd). Bread was OK, tasted as though it was likely from a couple of days again....not fresh tasting. Would pass this up next time in the area...

Reviewed 31 December 2016 via mobile

I visited with my mother over the holidays. Love their sandwiches (way better than the place across the street!), but breakfast very good too. My mother had sour dough pancakes and I had eggs, bacon and amazing olive oil bread. Coffee just ok but easy self serve refills. Rustic, cozy atmosphere.
Note: if organic VIP on your list good place!

1  Thank maureen d
Reviewed 24 December 2016

I came in at 3 pm. about an hour before they closed. The lady behind the counter was not a pleasant person. She was very grumpy, short with answers to questions, and acted like I was bothering her by being there. Food wasn't all that great. I had gotten a sandwich and a New York Rye loaf. The sandwich was small and didn't have much on it. The bread wasn't as fresh as I would hope from a bakery. It was sitting in a sad case with other sad loafs, on top of another sad but empty case staling out. I wanted this place to be so much better than it was.

My recommendation: walk in and with the look being given on the lady's face behind the counter you'll be able to judge how your experience will be.

3  Thank Attila_The_Hutt
Reviewed 23 December 2016 via mobile

We've been coming here for years. The breads, homemade soups and sandwiches are awesome. Breakfasts are great and hearty too. Just want to remind people that it's really difficult to be a sole proprietor of a food business business. It involves long hours and there are less and less of these types of establishments in the US. Let's try to appreciate those that are left. They are gems.

1  Thank gogoloh
Reviewed 15 November 2016

I went here a few years back and the service was mouth droppingly horrible. The lady behind the counter was so unappetizingly grumpy that we just left with out bread, which was really just so mediocre. I came back again due to the rave reviews and with the thought that our last time was just unlucky... but the service was the same if not worse. We ended up just leaving without purchasing anything! If you don't wish to ruin your entire day by bumping into the plain mean staff here, DO NOT ENTER. Trust me... there is MUCH better food and bread footsteps away.

2  Thank jiy0ung2