All reviews high peaks resort cool hotel play board games the bar lounge area in town paddle boats dog friendly hotel main street location is great alarm clock indoor and outdoor pools house keeping lodge feel shops and restaurants private balcony adjoining rooms ski lodge
Reviewed 9 January 2018

This was my family's fourth stay. Both the main hotel and Lake House has always been top notch. However, our last stay at the Lake House was distinctly different, mostly because of the neglect of the premises and sub-par house-keeping.

The Kudos:
Hospitality staff. Adam and Eric are especially awesome. Always warm, helpful, professional. They go out of their way to make guests feel welcome. Sam used to always be around the Lake House with his vacuum and spray bottle, busy cleaning the place to make it a luxurious place away from home. But he has been "promoted" to the main building. Good for him, but bad for the Lake House. We miss him!
The restaurant, The Dancing Bear, is also very good with great wait staff and reasonable prices for good food.
The free morning coffee at my fingertips! Love this little perk of waking up on vacation. Thank you!

Needs Improvement:
Housekeeping. We are not high-maintenance types - only asked our room to be serviced twice during our week stay. It was done properly once (thanks, Liz!), then the second time, we were ignored until our fourth request. Then the beds were haphazardly made, but the garbage and empty bottles were left untouched, carpet unvacuumed, and towels left on floor. The main lodge area was also uncleaned for many days even when there were obviously pizza leftovers on the floor, crumbs all over the carpet and dog hair galore on the sofas. There is also big wads of long hair inside the foozeball table! After a while, one of the hospitality staff eventually cleaned the gross tables and mopped the floor, although I presume it was not their job. Is this place short-staffed?

Conclusions:
I must say that this last experience has left an unpleasant aftertaste. But we do appreciate the intelligent hospitality staff for helping to set things right when we made mention of our issues. I hope that management will address the cleaning issues of late. A hotel should feel like a hotel, not a hostel. We love this place - the atmosphere and amazing staff - and sincerely hope to go back.
Thank you for hearing our concerns, Management.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
3  Thank Bobo L
HighPeaksResort, Innkeeper at Lake House, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2018

Hello Bobo L,

Thank you for your comments! We appreciate the compliments about our staff, they are great assets to the company and I will be sure to show both Eric and Adam your kind words. As for your issues with the cleanliness of the property. We strive to make sure that the lobby area looks pristine and as a Lake House Host it is our duty to upkeep the lobby. We are not short staffed, we just take pride in the building and will help to clean it when there is down time. I apologize that the lobby was not cleaned for the few days you were in house. That is unacceptable and that is something I need to address with my staff to make sure that they are keeping up with cleanliness on a daily basis. I sincerely hope that you will come back to visit us again and please let us know ahead of time so we can make sure that you leave with a good experience.

Regards,
Connor O'Keefe
Innkeeper at The Lake House

Reviewed 2 January 2018

A last minute chance to get away with our little dog so it fit our needs and wants
The only problem was that it was below zero the entire time we were there so we couldn't be outside as Miya's we wanted

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family

Hello Nicola C,

We love having dogs here! That is unfortunate that you could not enjoy the beautiful Adirondack Park while staying with us. We hope that the sub zero temps did not deter you from coming back to Lake Placid!

Cheers,
Connor O'Keefe
Innkeeper at The Lake House

Reviewed 25 December 2017 via mobile

Very nice accomodations and great staff. Thank you, Sam for taking care of the very minor issue we had in a quick and courteous manner. Jordon, it was very nice of you to get us checked in and into our room quickly, even though we arrived an hour before check in time! Hot chocolate in the lobby was a welcome treat! We will definitely return.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
HighPeaksResort, General Manager at Lake House, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2017

Dear guenvere,

Thank you for sharing your experience and kind words. We are so pleased to know you enjoyed your stay and I especially look forward to sharing your review with Sam and Jordan personally.

We're looking forward to your next visit, already!

Warm Regards,
Matthew

Reviewed 25 November 2017

We spent four days at this hotel during October. It was an ideal location for accessing shopping and dining in Lake Placid and for driving to hikes and sites in the area. We usually spent late afternoons on the balcony soaking up the beauty of Mirror Lake and the mountains beyond. Little traffic or other noise distracted from this relaxation.

The room was a little bigger than at most hotels and simply but comfortable appointed in an outdoorsy fashion.

We spent evenings in the large common area which also overlooked the lake. There were few guests so we got plenty of attention from the staff. Unfortunately, the low census also meant that the bar was closed but we were welcome to BYOB.

Room Tip: The view toward Mirror Lake is outstanding. Get one of those rooms.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
HighPeaksResort, General Manager at Lake House, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2017

Dear 1122Barry,

Thank you for sharing your experience and kind words. We are so pleased to know you enjoyed your visit, it sounds like you enjoyed the perfect vacation - exciting days, relaxing mornings and nights.

I hope we'll have the opportunity to host you again!

Warm Regards,
Matthew

Reviewed 26 October 2017

My wife and I stayed in a king room for a few nights during our honeymoon. We loved the retro lodge vibe of the common areas that included a small bar, pool, foosball, and reading nooks with a fireplace. Common area also had a great view of mirror lake. This is on the quiet side of main street in Lake Placid, so very close to shops/bars/restaurants, but still very quiet at night. Rooms were nice and clean. The beds are extremely soft, great for my wife, terrible for my back, however not taking "points" off due to excellent customer service when we inquired about switching rooms, hoping for a better bed for my back. The gentlemen at the desk were extremely helpful and friendly, they also had maps of hiking in the area which was very helpful. We loved it here, we will likely even stay again despite the bed.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
HighPeaksResort, Innkeeper at Lake House, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2017

Hey Meagan,

Thanks for your review, and thanks for spending your honeymoon here with us at Lake House! I’m happy to hear our impression was ultimately a good one. I think you hit the nail on the head about our location: everything’s a stone’s throw from us, but not so close that you can hear it all through the night. I love that too.

Best wishes and a bright future to both of you from both of us desk gentlemen and the rest of the team too,

Adam L.