“Great Property and customer service!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of High Peaks Resort

High Peaks Resort
Ranked #4 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
new york
“Great Property and customer service!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2012

This was supposed to be an anniversary weekend but my husband had gotten sick. It was two days before the day to leave and we knew it would be too late to cancel. My mom and I wanted to do a mother- daughter overnight and felt we could go one night but I did want to leave my husband for two nights. They were so understanding were able to rebook our room for the one night and then my mom and I went for the the second night. It was right next to the mirror lake Inn and a much better value!!! The rooms were very clean and well decorated, they looked better in person than they did on the website.It is such a great location, easy walk into town and had I a great run around mirror lake in the morning. I thought I lost my watch and left a message for the housekeeping staff. I did find my watch but did not call the hotel and two days later I got a follow up phonecall saying they had looked but not located the watch.. What excellent follow up!!! They truely care about their guests. My husband and I have booked another weekend to go there becauseI such a postive experience with them and absolutely loved the place!!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank shmoolie
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Hebrew first
Montreal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2012

We had vouchers through Travel Zoo and 6 of us visited Lake Placid in early May and stayed at the High Peaks Resort. Lovely location and very good facility. We had a room on the 2nd floor and it had a nice little balcony and overlooked the pool and lake. Lovely view!! The room was very comfortable with lots of space. Even had a small fridge in the room. Lovely bathroom - loved it. No tub though.

The only small negative was the long wait for dinner at the Dancing Bears. They don't take reservations and we had to wait for almost an hour before being seated. The food itself was kind of so-so. Only ate there because it was part of our Travel Zoo deal.

Location too was ideal and we could walk everywhere.

Lots of parking at the hotel and do not have to pay for it which is another bonus.

Would definitely go back.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Vahishta
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2012

We really enjoyed our stay at High Peaks.
I had hoped to visit the spa while we were there, but it was closed for renovations which was quite disappointing (I tried to book an appointment in advance when I learned this). We reserved a King sized room with a mountain or lake view and upon entering our room, we had two beds. Not the end of the world, but not what we had asked for either. The room was beautiful, though, and we enjoyed relaxing there, watching TV, reading, etc. The hotel's location is great as we were able to walk along the main street, visit stores and restaurants all very conveniently. The restaurant was also very nice, but there were disappointments. When we purchased the TravelZOO vacation, we understood that a three-course dinner for two was included as well as breakfast for two daily. This ended up translating to $50 to spend on dinner at the restaurant and $5 daily to spend on breakfast. We were quite disappointed to learn of these details, since that limited our three-course dinner for two to dinner for two and breakfast was not nearly as exciting as we had hoped.
We were very happy overall with our trip, but wish that both High Peaks and TravelZoo had been clearer.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TheEddys
Hamburg, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2012

My husband and I have traveled to Lake Placid many times over the past 20 years. This was the first time we stayed at High Peaks Resort and loved every moment. The hotel is spacious and beautifully decorated. Our room on the 5th floor overlooked Mirror Lake and was immaculately clean and comfortable with lovely amenities such as robes, slippers, flat screen television, etc. Everyone went out of their way to make us feel welcome. Having such warm weather (in the 80's) we were able to enjoy the two outdoor pools on very comfortable lounge chairs and plenty of towels provided for guests who want to swim. We also loved the fact that a nice restaurant was in the hotel with good food and friendly waiters and waitresses. Being right in the Village is also a HUGE plus. We walked and biked around Mirror Lake and really enjoyed shopping in the Village. I highly recommend this hotel, not only because of its great proxmity but it is a really is a "resort."

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LindaJune131
HighPeaksResort, General Manager at High Peaks Resort, responded to this review, 24 May 2012
We are glad you enjoyed the Resort and all that Lake Placid has to offer, we call this the "High Peaks Experience".
Thank you for sharing your comments, we look forward to your next visit.

Don Reaser
Boston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2012

I stayed at High Peaks this previous weekend (room 706) which is in the Lakefront Collection. First impressions - very nice property; checked in late and individual at main desk was super friendly and helpful.

The room itself was beautiful - two large queen beds, and nice bathroom. The hotel itself is very laid back, which I love.

Here's the part that I think should be tweaked. In fairness, when you book one of the lakefront collection rooms, unless you pay extra for one of the junior suites, it is a bit "luck of the draw" meaning, that some of the lakefront rooms face the lake (amazing view), but the others face squarely into the pool (zero lake view).

While it is clearly stated when you book that it's "best of luck to you" when you book in the lakefront collection, the more I thought about it, the more I was thinking they really should change their policy so that the true lakeview rooms should either pay a little more (I'd happily have paid an extra $10 / $20 a night to get the lakeview) or have the pool view room people pay less because there truly is a discrepancy here in the experience.

Just so you're aware, I checked out the lakefront collection rooms with zero view and from what I could tell those were room 702 (701 is partially obstructed) I believe up to about room 709. (mine was squarely in the middle of the pool).

Other than that some of the perks / other things for you to be aware of. The gym / fitness room is much nicer than those of comparable hotels I've stayed at. Also if you stay in the Lakefront Property, you have free use of kayaks and paddleboats which is lots of fun and worth it. The pool also has nice tables that are right up over the water which is a nice touch.
The only downside to the lakefront property is that you are first floor, meaning everyone is walking right in front of your place (but honestly this is comparable to other beachfront type places I've stayed at). If your neighbors are pretty loud, you *will* hear them. I could literally hear every word going on next door the first night (what a beautiful shower! Do you think the tap water is safe to drink? followed by a call to the front desk to confirm that it is).

Breakfast is not included but the town is literally right there (the hotel has a great location),

Again, great property, but definitely change the rates such that there is a clear distinction between "lakeview" rooms and "poolview" rooms in the Lakefront property

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple