“A fantastic property!”
other travellers have booked this property
Double bedroom Double bedroom
Lounge
Kitchen
Bathroom
Bedroom
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Any
hannah347
“A fantastic property! ”
Reviewed 23 October 2015 for a stay in September 2015
person found this review helpful

I stayed at Leander for a week in September and couldn't fault the property or Lucy (the housekeeper)'s services one bit. My arrival in the middle of the night was no issue, and I was greeted by a very smiley Gambian...this friendliness only continued throughout the week! The property was clean throughout and the outside was immaculately maintained.

The amenities provided were perfect for a solo traveler like myself as I was able to cook, although a large range of restaurants are just a few minutes' walk down the road so the property's in a great location. The outside seating area was an ideal office/base for my week and the pool provided a nice respite break to cool down every now and again. The property is well secured and I was able to come and go as I pleased.

I'm so happy I came across this rental before departing for Gambia, and I'll definitely be returning in years to come. Thanks!

luke924
New York City, New York
“Beautiful villa, excellent staff, superb location”
Reviewed 12 August 2015 for a stay in July 2015

I stayed at Leander for 3 weeks from mid-July to early August, and couldn't have been more impressed. As I was visiting The Gambia for work (journalist) I wanted a place where I could read, write and unwind, and my research led me to enquire about Leander.
The booking process was easy and professional, with James at Armada Holidays (a British family-run company) responding to emails promptly and fully. As a single traveller I only needed one room, and was offered a very fair rate.
I arranged a pick-up off my flight with Abdu, the driver, who met me after customs with my name on board. As the airport can be a bit of a scene I would recommend this, and although the price is a bit steep for the country if you're traveling alone (20 pounds/30 dollars) he has a big van so it's a deal for groups. Also, it means you don't start your trip haggling with taxi drivers, which is a bonus in my book. Abdu also let me know that he can arrange trips/money changing/act as a tour guide, and although I didn't take him up on it as I was there for work he's a good guy and I trusted him. As a side note, I would just mention that the standard of driving is very poor, so if you're of a nervous disposition I would suggest using Abdu to get around rather than taxis. I drove with him a few times and he is very conscious of safety on the road.
The villa itself was fantastic, with everything clean and operational. The wi-fi worked straight away, the bed was turned down with fresh sheets and the bathroom was spotless. In the outside areas, everything was again clean and functional, with the pool obviously taken care of. None of this deteriorated during my stay.
The staff themselves were all very friendly and on top of things, with special thanks to Lucy (housekeeper and cook) and Pascal (security guard). I only ate Lucy's cooking once as I preferred to get out for dinner, but it was very good. As a side note, Pascal is very happy to come along to the supermarket (or wherever else) and help carry shopping, or you can ask him to run out for something. I tipped him a few dalasis when he did this, although I suppose you could just add a little extra at the end of the stay.
There is a safe in the room which I used for passports and big money, although I never had any of the general sticky-fingeredness I've come to expect in West African hotels. I can't tell you how great it is not to worry about theft, as any trouble of that kind instantly poisons a trip whether it's a holiday or work visit. Although I was a bit wary at first, I left my door unlocked after a few days so the maid (Angelika, although my spelling may be wrong) could clean up. If I wanted laundry done, I just asked Lucy or Angelika and they returned it cleaned and ironed the next day (keep in mind there are no washing machines).
The location was great, about five minutes walk from the supermarket and restaurants of The Village, and 10 minutes from the Senegambia strip and the beach. As a tip, I would say the restaurants in The Village are better but more expensive, and Senegambia is best for nightlife. For taxis, you can either ask Pascal to grab you one (and help negotiate) or just walk up to the top of the road yourself and grab one. I did this every morning and never waited more than about 15 seconds. Try that in London or New York!
As a last note, I had the pleasure of meeting the owner of Leander, Bruce Farr, who was in town to oversee the building of another, smaller place just down the road. We had a few drinks while I was there, and I had an excellent time with him.
I want to thank Bruce, James, Lucy, Pascal and everyone at Armada for making a work trip a pleasure, and if I'm ever back in the country I'll make sure to go through them!

Liked best: The staff

Bognor Regis, United Kingdom
“Perfect stay”
Reviewed 18 November 2014 for a stay in November 2014
people found this review helpful

I stayed in here in November for 1 week.

Very easy to book.

Great for new Gambia visitors.

A friendly and very caring local Taxi driver is available to use if required.

The house is very clean and very modern. The pool is always warm. No extras for fans or Air-con like the hotels!!

Not many Mosquitoes. Well ~ I never got bitten!

A very nice and peaceful garden with plenty of wild life to see - Goats, chickens wonder fee outside the compound ( the road outside) a variety of very pretty small birds settled in the garden whilst swimming. Vultures and other birds of pray can be seen in groups flying over the garden as can been seen in all of the Gambia. Small baby like friendly lizards pose for a photo if you are lucky and patient.

The Team (Lucy - Housekeeper, Pascal - Care taker & security) who work and live in the house are outstanding and very very friendly. Nothing is too much trouble to make your stay truly great.

The location is perfect as its in between both major tourist areas (Palma Rima and the Senagambia strip). There is a supermarket and restaurant complex at the end of the road only 3 minutes from where the house is located.

You get a much more safe and REAL African feel of surroundings than staying in a hotel on the strip!

I can not wait to re -visit the Gambia and stay here again.

AMAZING!!

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great place to stay”
Reviewed 4 September 2014 for a stay in July 2014
people found this review helpful

Great place to stay, will highly recommend. I stayed for a month and enjoyed every single day there. Lovely place, lovely staff and great atmosphere in the surrounding area.

Liked best: Rooms
Travelling group: Solo Traveller
Your age range 25-34
Large groups
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
US$ 28
Night
Week
Book Now
Or, send the owner a message
This property has Payment Protection
Never pay for your holiday rental by wire transfer.
Learn more about paying safely.
Do you own a holiday home? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing