All reviews hot tub free kayaks walking distance stay there again nice pool area beautiful lake laundry room king room comfortable rooms nice size view of lake george labor day weekend family vacation close to town sundowners gregor summer
Reviewed 1 September 2015

This motel is in a great location on the strip on Canada Street. A short walk to everything makes it that much better. Staff is friendly and helpful. Rooms are clean. Pool area is very nice with a deck with beach chairs. There is a sandy beach area by the lake with more beach chairs and tables. There are also grills for the guests to use. Free kayaks too! Many other motels in the area offer kayaks to rent.

Room Tip: Rooms closer to the lake have a better view
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sargey2719
Reviewed 26 August 2015

Clean and comfortable is most important and the Sundowner is just that. comfortable bed. Even if my room was huge I'm not one to enjoy staying in a hotel room for any longer than I have to. We were close to the office so WiFi worked .. I asked for extra towels, which we got and asked for extra pillows from the office. all rooms are smoke free .Husband is a smoker and you can smoke outside where they have chairs and small table in front of each room but no ash trays (I asked in the office) I always bring my own shampoo and conditioners but if you don't they do have a tiny bottle of shampoo and not the usual toiletries . reasonably priced hotel and within walking distance to the village. coffee in the lobby but not until 8am

Room Tip: if you have mobility issues the rooms near the entrance down to the pool or lake is a good hill and may be an issue
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 August 2015

First of all, these motels are from the 1950's so keep that in mind and don't expect a Disney Vacation Villa. This hotel was recently renovated when it came under new ownership. I'd like to start by talking about the owners. Me & my husband have been coming to Lake George in August for about 30 years. The owners used to own a different motel which we stayed at with our toddler son (he's 16 now). When they sold the old property it fell apart. After 2 years I couldn't go back there. Luckily for us I found out through the internet that Anna & Jeff bought the Sundowner. These are very good owners who put a lot of care & work into their motel. We stay in a double room. The rooms are roomy and very clean. Their staff has been with them for years. They have many return guests. There is a nice pool area & deck, & they are on the beach. You can use their kayaks for free. There is a room with a microwave, cash washer & dryer, snack & drink vending machines. Free coffee in the morning. Free wifi but the connection is not great. Great parking & roomy parking. Best of all, very low prices when you compare Sundowner with similar motels. Our double room was only $135 per night! Corner rooms have the most space. I would call up & ask them for a recommendation for the best rooms. Clean rooms, friendly staff & owners, nice pool, hot tub, deck, great parking, free kayaks, low prices, for a Lake George Motel, you can't beat it!

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room
Reviewed 22 August 2015

We returned to the Sundowner after being there a few years back. This time, we spent some extra money to get a Lakefront Room, which was much more spacious than our last stay. The property, like most of its neighbors is a long narrow stretch of rooms between Canada Street and the Lake, with a small lakefront beach. We certainly enjoyed our stay.

Pros:
Room was clean, and had a nice deck overlooking the lake
Pool area was great, and my young daughter especially loved it. Water is warm
Free use of kayaks is nice, and we had no trouble getting one
Walk to all points in the Village

Cons:
No coffee makers in the rooms. Coffee in the office (far from us, and not until 8 AM)
Wifi was weak, so weak it was basically non-functional for us

Overall, it was a good stay.

Room Tip: Lakefront rooms are nicest, but a bit pricier
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank beak49
Reviewed 21 August 2015

With a great location for the village and proximity to the lake, this motel cuts too many corners. Rooms in great need of updating, an extra towel or better bedding, extra complimentary toiletries are lacking. Staff is friendly and accommodating. Prices are reasonable.

Room Tip: Don't expect too much. Rooms closer to lake are obviously better.