“Had a wonderful time!!!”

and 1 more site!
Dunham's Bay Resort
Ramsey, New Jersey
“Had a wonderful time!!!”
Reviewed 16 August 2011

We were there this weekend also and had a wonderful visit. For us besides the Lake itself, the star of this resort is the staff. Hope the owner is aware how lucky he is to have his property run by such wonderful, and helpful people. Ashley at the front desk greeted us all with a big smile and Lynn, you look like you enjoy your job, it shows!!! The rooms are a little tired, but we were told they were working on that. We had a few rooms, some had already been done, but all were clean. We will go back, we will have our drink with Jack, the terrific bartender as we promised. Go here, drive around this beautiful lake or better yet, try to get on the lake by boat, its just beautiful. Thanks for a great time, The Sisters!!!!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
dunhamsbay, General Manager at Dunham's Bay Resort, responded to this review, 20 August 2011
Matthew Taormino, GM of Dunham's Bay Resort extending a thank you for the kind words. I am so glad to hear you enjoyed all the resort has to offer. The staff is a crucial part of any resort and I believe, like you commented, ours is top notch. Hope you make it back soon to have that drink with Jack. Thanks again.

Regards,
Matthew Taormino HGM, GM
Dunham's Bay Resort
Lake George, NY
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Long Island, New York
Reviewed 15 July 2011

I booked a three night stay for my family and we were looking forward for all the "resort" had to offer. We arrived and found out that the pool would be closed for two hours due to a wedding. We went to our room which was filthy and had a horrible musty smell. We rented a two bedroom cabin and only had one tv in the living room area. It does not look like the cabin has been updated since 1970. We could not stand being in the room so we decided to venture out for a bit. We then learned that the "private beach" is not really a private beach at all. The "resort" does not own the beach and there are strict rules you must follow to use the beach. The beach is very small and the sand is covered in goose droppings. The wedding prevented us from using the pool, firepit, playground, etc. for the entire night because the tent and guests pretty much took up all the grounds. We ventured out to the village and returned around 9:45 pm to put the kids to bed (ages 1 and 5) and found that the wedding still going on. There were drunk people outside our cabin and the dj was playing extremely loud music. I went to the front desk after 10:00 because I felt it was a bit ridiculous. The manager was very rude initially but then changed her tune and offered us a free brunch for the following morning for the inconvenience. The music died down within 15 minutes of my complaint, not sure if it was a coincidence or not.

They do not maintain this place at all! My one year old refuses to keep shoes on so he was barefoot in the room most of the time. The bottom of his feet were covered in dirt from the floor. I honestly don't know how I lasted at this dump for three nights.

I don't know of anywhere else to stay in the area but can say that you should not stay here! It is way overpriced for what you get! Don't be fooled by the website like I was!

The only positives are that the staff was nice and that the brunch was good. If you are in the area it may be worth attending the brunch but that's about it.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Hleigh711
dunhamsbay, General Manager at Dunham's Bay Resort, responded to this review, 24 July 2011
As new General Manager of what I consider one if the most beautiful properties in Lake George I am sorry to hear about your experience. First, let me address your wedding problem. With the popularity of Dunham's Bay Resort as a wedding destination and us hosting close to 35 weddings this year, it is a rare weekend without one. However, at the same time we always try to make sure it does not affect our transient guests to the point of disrupting their stay. We always make sure, from the time of booking through our guests stay, that we are informative and open about how we move weddings and people through the property.

Moving on to your room concerns: The sets of rooms you stayed in are affectionately know as the Jack and Jill's and will be undergoing a renovation process this fall/winter. The cleanliness of all rooms is a high priority for myself and if this issue was brought to my attention at your time of stay I would have reacted to it immediately ensuring that any problems would have been remedied immediately.

As for the beach, it is a private beach where upon we have beach rights and only our guests and those who dock their boats there are allowed to use it making it a very nice place to visit and enjoy swimming in Lake George.

As a past Food & Beverage Manager and foodie first I am gland that you enjoyed our brunch. As a fellow Long Islander I am understanding and sympathetic to your quest to come to Lake George and spend some of your vacation time with us. I hope someday soon you do get to return and enjoy all we at Dunham's Bay Resort and the Lake George area have to offer.

Regards,

Matt Taormino, HGC, GM
Northampton, Massachusetts
Reviewed 4 July 2011

Hotel is 5 miles from downtown. Didn't need car once we got there. Shuttle driver (Andrew?) was very polite and helpful and quick to respond to our request for rides. Highly recommend this hotel because of their customer service.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Loukraw
dunhamsbay, Front Desk at Dunham's Bay Resort, responded to this review, 6 July 2011
Glad you enjoyed our shuttle service, we had a wonderful 4th of July weekend and we hope you'll come visit us again soon! Also, thank you for taking the time to review us, we really do appreciate it!
Hudson Falls, New York
Reviewed 3 April 2011

My daughter's wedding was at Dunham's Bay on April 2nd. Everyone had an amazing time and EVERYONE commented on how fabulous the food was. They know what they are doing there. Very professional and extremely attentive to the the entire bridal party and their family and guests. No worries for any of us. After the 7 hour reception, yes 7 hours (no 4 hours and you are out deal here!!!), they built us a bonfire outside to continue our fabulous time with friends and family that spent the night. As far as the rooms go, they were great. Extremely comfortable bed and the BEST pillows I have ever laid my head on in a hotel. Amazing view of the Adirondack Mountians and Lake George. I would highly recommend using Dunham's Bay Resort for any function or just a getaway vacation.

• Stayed April 2011
2 Thank Pammingo
Bohemia, New York
Reviewed 29 August 2010

Well, lets see, where do i begin? When i booked this place, i specifically asked a few questions, that were important to us. One was, is there a tv in the bedroom. We are ones to fall asleep to the tv being on, so, this was something that was a must. I was told yes. I also asked, is there Wifi. Again, i was told yes.

We arrived on Saturday and were taken to our one bedroom lake cabin. We walked in, and you immediately smelled a musty smell. We walked into the bedroom, and guess what? No TV. By this time, the guy who walked us to the cabin had left already. So, i went back to the office, and spoke to someone there and mentioned the TV issue. Within a few minutes, she said she could move us, but it would not be a lake front room (it really wasn't lake front anyway, so it wasn't a big dissapointment to go to another cabin). So, we did thank them for that.

Now, when we planned the trip, we did have idea's of where we were going to go. But, not knowing what the weather would be like, we brought the laptop, hence my asking if there was Wifi. The girl said yes, there is Wifi. Really?? I think the girl meant to say "on occasion you'll get a signal, and when it rains, its even worse", because if i got online for 5 minutes total, that was alot. I was told there would be a signal either by the pool, or the office (there was supposed to be 5 area's where a signal could be had). I had zero signal in the cabin. I took the laptop TO the office, and still could not get a signal! So, when it started to rain the next two days, we had to just wing it and make decisions on what to do, because there was no way i was getting online to figure out what else to do. I also was supposed to be doing some work, and that never got done either. So, i lost money on top of all of this. I complained a little bit thru out the week about this, and they told me the signal was a problem when it rains. So, you go from 90% chance of not getting a signal, to NO chance of getting one! Sorry, i think that is bull! I went to breakfast one morning, at a place in town, and someone had a laptop with them, and he had no problem getting online. So, it was definitely that the owners of DBR just not having a good hook up to get a good signal. When i checked out, the girl asked me how my stay was. I said i don't think you want me to answer that. I then said what i had to say, and she turned to someone and said something about having someone come and look at the signal again. Again?? Not even an apology.

Now, they boast a beach. And the pictures on the website are very deceiving. They don't tell you there is a road you have to cross to get to the tiny beach. And they surely don't tell you that they do not own the beach! And that there are strict rules for using the beach (not unreasonable rules, just rules nonetheless). You can only go on the beach from 9am to 6pm. Now, on a nice night, if i wanted to bring out a chair and have a glass of wine overlooking the lake, i couldn't do that.

There were other stupid things but honestly, i am just too tired to type anymore. I think everyone gets the gist of it. The two main questions- would i go back? NO!! Would i recommend this place to a friend or family member? NO!! If i do go back to Lake George, i'll book the Antigua or the Lake Motel. Both made our short list. Live and learn i guess.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family