“Good Food. Possibly racist!?”
Review of Lookout Cafe

Lookout Cafe
Ranked #104 of 171 Restaurants in Lake George
Price range: US$ 5 - US$ 11
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly, View
Good for: Child-friendly, View
Reviewed 25 September 2017

Food was OK for the price. Service is good. . You wouldn't be disappointed unless your skin color is anything other then white. The manager in charge on 9/24 lunch is a racist how I see it. We walk in, group of 8 people, 5 adults and 3 kids, I immediately notice the disgust on her face. She was doing something on the register/computer. It took her about 10 minutes to even acknowledge that we are there. In meantime, she took 1 phone order and assisted 2 people who had pick up order (happen to be white) these 2 people just walked in and skipped us, seemed like she knows them, possibly work either at the hotel or the fort. Which is fine. More waiting. She finally looks at us a says "I will be with you soon" and rolls her eyes. Another 20 minutes goes by, at this point there are 2 elderly (happen to be white) queue behind us. Now she has some incentive to sit us? She looks at me and she motions with her face for us to speak as if finally she giving us permission , I say table for 8, she looks around, and then asks again how many people, (I did not hear her and assumed she asked which table or something) I say we would like that table please (pointing at the table) we set the day before, she shouts as if my mother is scolding me saying "HOW MANY PEOPLE NOT which table" I wish it was a busy, it wasn't. I wish tables were full so she needed more time, maybe 1/4 of the restaurant was set. Only reason I would go back to this place are the waitstaff, quick service and delicious food, and the view. I really wish people like this lady somehow don't exist in this world...it would be a wonderful world if she didn't exist.

1  Thank MahabNYC
chefdan2016, Executive Chef at Lookout Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2017

Dear MahabNYC,
I thank you for visiting the Lookout Cafe for lunch. I was shocked when I read your review because the manager is one of the kindest people I know and isn't a racist. Being the head of the department though I wanted to be sure of the events and timeline of that day so I pulled up the video from 9/24/17 to see for myself what had occurred at the time of your visit.
I did see that you arrived at 12:09 pm and noticed that the manager was having an issue with the micros computer system. I did see that she did not acknowledge your party right away, because of this I apologize. I saw also that she was attending to a take out /to go order which had been called in prior to your arrival as the customers had arrived at around the same time or immediately after you had. I have ordered take out from national chains in the past and when I arrive I walk past guests, waiting for a table, to pick up my food in the area which it was waiting for me. We try very hard to make sure when the food is ready that it is delivered quickly. Though it may have felt like much longer you were brought to your table at 12:15 which would make it a 6 minute wait.
I appreciate that you gave us a good score for value, service and food and would hope that you can take my word when i say that the manager is not a racist and she is sorry if that is the impression that you got. Please give us another try if you are in the Lake George area again. Thank You!

Regards,
Chef Daniel

Reviewed 22 September 2017

My husband and I had lunch at the Lookout Café upon arrival at the resort. We both ordered the blackened grouper sandwich, which was good, but a little spicy if you are sensitive to that. Overall the menu is on the bar food side, but I will take mediocre food with a great view when I am on vacation. We both ordered a glass of white wine and were disappointed with a $7.00 price tag for house wine, served in a small plastic cup. We went to the liquor store down the street and stocked up for the week.

Reviewed 10 September 2017 via mobile

We went for lunch with 3 buddies & myself, the 3 ordered a lobster roll and I a hamburger that the waiter stated was the best around! Not!
The Lobster roll was a joke at the high price, ground up lobster meat that you had to look very hard to find! Oh and my hand formed hamburger patty was a frozen one! We will never visit this place again.

chefdan2016, Executive Chef at Lookout Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2017

Good day and thank you for sharing your thoughts here on Tripadvisor. I am sorry that your visit to the Lookout did not meet up with your expectations. If you were here during the car show I can certainly understand your frustration as it is the single most busy weekend of the year at the Lookout. I admit that from the time your order is placed to the time the food arrives at the table can be in the area of 30 minutes. In light of the view as you have mentioned and people relaxing to enjoy it while grabbing a bite, this time is not too extreme considering the sheer volume of people in town for the car show. It is a great event.
I am sorry you felt about the Lobster roll as you did. As you can imagine it is a very popular item in the summer. My staff is processing 200 pounds plus of whole live lobsters a week in preparation of the lobster salad to keep up with the demand of this item. I will speak with them to see that they are following the recipe to the prescribed ratio based upon your comments. This is not a typical comment so I am very interested in it and will definitely follow through.
Regarding your comments on the burgers I will say that the Lookout does not have a char-broiler. This means that we need to take the burgers, which are delivered fresh each day from a local butcher, and cook them on a griddle (flat top grill) not over open flame. I think the smooth carmelization that results gives them an similar appearance as a frozen burger when cooked but indeed these burgers come fresh from the butcher straight to the refrigerator onto the griddle and to the guest. Cooked to order and as fresh as they come trust me when I say there is no time to freeze them as we go through them very fast and fresh burgers tend to cook quicker. Why this summer alone we have served over 10,000 (8 ounce, yes a full 1/2 pound) burgers alone. These burgers atop the toasted brioche buns we use tend to garner many, many positive comments.
I apologize, again, that we did not meet your expectations. We will however continue to do the best we can to serve good fresh food along with the amazing view we are fortunate to have.
Thanks again for your comments and have a great day!

Regards,
Chef Daniel

Reviewed 7 September 2017 via mobile

If you are planning a trip to Lake George you must stop in and try the food it's great the hamburger are juicy and Delicious they have a taco salad which is great the the view is just as good you can see Lake George right from where you're sitting so if you are visiting Lake George for the first time you must stop in

Reviewed 29 August 2017

We had a good dinner outside with great view of the lake. The food was okay and service was great. Casual dining with lake view.

Been to Lookout Cafe? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK