“Filthy room, poor environment... and I'm not picky.”
Review of Super 8 Kingston

Super 8 Kingston
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Kingston
Reviewed 26 October 2012

I stay in a lot of budget motels and am not at all picky, nor a clean freak- far from it. but this place takes the cake for both dirty room and poor service response, especially for the high price. When I arrived, my room had crud around all over the rug, especially along the edges, including used tissues, nutshells, and toenail clippings. Worse, when i looked for an outlet for my laptop behind the corner of the bed, there was a used unmentionable item (let's just say something used by couples) in plain view in the gap of the warped baseboard. The rug was literally sticky to touch, even to socks; i had to always wear shoes. Clearly, the maid does not clean, or even look, under or behind any furniture- there was also abundant long-term crud behind/around the sofa. Exhausted and arriving late, I waited until morning to go to front desk, where a scruffy and agitated young man jumped up as I approached and exclaimed "oh wow, is something on fire?!?!". Then he looked over the counter and said "Oh, cool, it's just your coffee" (i had a steaming cup). Great. I asked that the room be thoroughly vacuumed, and specifically said there was something nasty under the bed. From his out-of-it blank look, I didn't have high hopes, and sure enough, that eve, the bed had been made, but nothing else had changed, crud and unmentionable still there. Almost comically, the maid tip envelope had been more prominently propped up. These have a handwritten note on them to deliver them to the front desk: apparently, not only do the maid(s) not clean much, but they aren't trusted with their own tips (?). There is at least one professional-behaving desk person (checked me in), but otherwise the staff appears young, indifferent to downright sullen, and possibly druggie. There were often questionable-looking, smoky-smelling people loitering around the lobby and entry who appeared to be friends of staff, and just stared at guests. There was no conveniently-located available outlets for laptops and phones (ie, near bed or desk- i had to use my laptop perched on top of the microwave). Bed was old and hard, linens were worn, heater was corroded and missing knobs. For $80+ a night, this place is unacceptable. Heck, the cleaning level would be unacceptable even at $35. When i tried to report again the second morning, there was a line at the front desk, and i could hear others complaining, so i just left. I moved to the Superlodge down the street and had a great experience there, for less $ too (see my review of that). I've stayed at several motels in kingston and it's both expensive and just not a good town for service/cleanliness, but this was beyond tolerance. Note: the pictures i took were of the room as it was when i arrived. None of that crud is from me.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 25 October 2012

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 October 2012

Myself and 2 friends of mine stayed for one night on October 19th, 2012. We went for The Headless Horseman. That is another review in itself... Thumbs down in case you were interested. Anyways back to the room.

Good Stuff:
We checked for bed bugs. There were none! It was cheap. It put a roof over our heads and gave us a place to sleep before the 3 hour ride back to NJ. The staff was SOOOO nice and gave us everything we asked for. They helped us find a Cab which was only $19 from Kingston to Ulster Park. It had a fridge and Micro so we didn't have to go out to eat. We just brought soup and stuff to keep us nourished. Towels and shower were clean. Nothing majorly noticeable that grossed us out. The breakfast was decent. Nothing hot but cereal, toast, juice, coffee, milk, fruit and some pastries.

Now the Bad Stuff:
Oh My Gosh was it noisy. The most memorable was we were woken up to the fire alarm That refused to shut up. Apparently someone was smoking or something in a nonsmoking room. I was under the impression that the hotel would have made rounds to get everyone out because at that point they didn't know it was a real fire or not. We ignored it (i know were dumb) and no one came to scoop us out. We stayed in our room for the entire fire alarm which lasted almost 40 mins. Then there was the neighbor we had who was with his girlfriend. We heard a lot of sexy time throughout the night. We could also hear the people above us walking around. We brought our laptops and hoped we could connect an HDMI cable or the the colored plugs to the TV so we could watch movies we brought. The TVs were so outdated we couldn't even do that.

Overall, IT was ok. I'd stay again, just because it was cheap and suited out general purpose with a few snags. It was clean and safe. It just could use a little TLC and updating.

And just so you know, the driving patterns are terrible in Kingston! Not very well thought out. Beware when driving!

Room Tip: We were in Room 133. First floor by the exit on the right side of the building. I don't know w...