“Not impressed”

Best Western Plus Of Johnson City
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Johnson City
Reviewed 29 July 2011

We were with a group of (HOG) riders and had arrived around 10 pm, it had been a long day and we all just wanted some dinner and a cold drink. After checking in we went to a nearby restaurant and got back to our room around midnight. A quick shower and a good night sleep was all we wanted but after getting into bed I noticed my wife had sunk into a deep depression on the one side. I called down to the front desk to let them know we had an issue but it was just too late to attempt to switch rooms (not that it was offered).

The sheets were pilled up and the comforter smelled like some unpleasant things had happened on it. We both tried to sleep on the one side but the bottom line was it wasn't a good night. The next morning I spoke to the lady at the front desk but there was little she could do and since it was a holiday weekend no one else was around. I quietly voiced my issues and waited for several days for a response from the manager which never came.

I finally emailed BW head office hoping they would get involved. I then got an email from the hotel, it was appologetic but basically said they didn't see anything wrong and wanted me to come back for another night? Yeah right, if the food is bad at a restaurant do you go back for another taste just to see if it still tastes bad??

I was hoping they would have at least offered me some kind of a token for the bad night we had but nothing, not even from the head office. I guess they don't realise that the customer is always right and even if they're not you make them feel like they are don't tell them they are liars. Too bad for them since we just finished planning a ride to New Orleans and there isn't one BW in the stops.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 27 July 2011

Room was exactly what it should be for the price... clean and quiet. Mike at the front desk was super professional and polite. Location is excellent with shopping, restaurants, etc. all around.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 July 2011

We stayed at this Best Western for two nights. The first night a party spilled over from the function room to the hallways and lobby. The hotel had no control of these guests although a police detail was present. Guests where drinking alcohol in all the common areas, being loud, and banging on guest room doors.This went on for over three hours before the hotel had the detail police officer break up the party at around 3:30am. We requested a refund for the night but where told we would have to wait until the morning and speak to a manager. Although I had left a message that night for the General Manager to call me in the morning I never received a call. I was told by the front desk manager that we would be credited for the night. I have since contacted Best Western corporate and requested a refund for our entire two night stay.
This hotel is average at best and there are many other choices in the area.

Room Tip: Red Roof Inn is close by and cheaper.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Jimsreview
Reviewed 3 January 2011

Can a hotel really be 'pet friendly' as this one advertises itself, then stick guests and their dog into smokey stinky rooms? We arrived the evening of January 2 after booking in advance. We turned down the first two rooms they offered as the smell of stale smoke was totally unacceptable. We were just about to leave and find something else when we were offered a non smoking room on the fourth floor. When we opened the door, we realize we had been misled---this one stunk too. As we were very tired after a long day's driving, we decided to stick it out. I am sorry we didn't make more fuss as everything we owned stunk of cigarettes when we checked out the next morning. The dog actually left smelling bad too.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
BestWesternJC, Manager at Best Western Plus Of Johnson City, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2011

In response to "This hotel is not for the dogs" and as a represenative of the Best Western of Johnson City I want to kindly say that offering pet friendly accomodations is a tricky situation. We value all of our guests from the dog lovers to the allergy stricken. As it happens to be the policy at the Best Western of Johnson City we offer pet friendly rooms and also offer allergy free rooms (meaning from pet allergies and smoke allergies). So, the rooms are alloted in a manner where the designated non-smoking rooms remain allergy free and we do not allow pets in these rooms. The pet rooms are then available only in designated smoking rooms. I understand that this situation does not appeal to all pet owners and perhaps we can designate a selection of non-smoking rooms as pet friendly. Our goal is to ensure our guests a satisfying experience and therefore we would be happy to offer a nonsmoking pet friendly room upon request.

Reviewed 16 October 2010

Since my last review we made our pilgrimage to visit my wife's parents and I think the lovely manager at this hotel (Coleen) must have read my previous review as we were pleasantly surprised to see their new breakfast room. Originally this was a converted ground floor bedroom and much too small, but they have now knocked together two rooms and done a great makeover of decor and servery to also offer better hot fayre (eggs, bacon and sausage) as well as french toast. Seating available is now 3 or 4 times more than original and I think the coffee tastes even better - especially with the hazlenut creamer! The bedlinen is of better quality (although it has always been good) and the new shower curtain with rail that curves away from you makes a good improvement to the problem of a wet curtain sticking when moving around. Well done BWJC!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
5.8 km away
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#5 of 13 in Binghamton

Been to Best Western Plus Of Johnson City? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK