“The inn is our home-away-from-home!”
Review of Inn on Columbia

Inn on Columbia
Ranked #3 of 18 Ithaca B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 August 2011

We have stayed with Kenn and Madeline Young at several of the inn's locations and have always been comfortable and well attended. This particular trip was a family vacation to attend my daughter's graduation. Booking was accomodated with efficiency and attention to the ease and delight of our stay: restaurant suggestions and even an offer to make reservations, directions and details of some of the beautiful hikes around Ithaca. The Inn on Columbia and the warm reception of the innkeepers make this a destination to repeat over and over.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank naysayer1098
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 10 August 2011

We were looking for a place to stay, with doggy, to help break up our drive home from Vermont and Ithaca seemed to fit the bill. The Inn on Columbia advertised on their web site as "Dog-Friendly", so we gave them a call and were booked into The Cottage, one of their satellite properties for one night. We arrived a little early and found our hosts very friendly and accommodating and indeed, dog-friendly. We were given check-in instructions, maps of the area, and even dog-friendly restaurant recommendations. Altogether, a very fine welcome.

"Pluses" of this property include proximity to shops and restaurants, great bath, very comfortable bed, a degree of privacy, adequate kitchen, and some interesting architectural features. The continental breakfast was what was advertised, so no surprises there. We agree with another contributor that the bathroom mirror situation is less than optimal and we found the trendy track lighting to be pretty non-functional, giving everything in the cottage a rather dingy cast. My partner also tripped on the sofa platform and hurt his ankle, but we found the sofa quite comfortable to curl up on. While we didn't mind taking out our own trash and cleaning up after ourselves in the kitchen, we weren't as keen on the crumbs in the toaster oven or stained tacky dining table; maybe it's a special piece (?), but I thought it was kind of gross. Our stay took place during a very hot period and while the cottage's air conditioner helped, but it wasn't what I'd call superb cooling.
The only other drawback is the cottage is located on a very busy and noisy street and even with windows closed, sleeping was difficult.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KASCleveland
Reviewed 9 August 2011

We had a family wedding in Ithaca so 10 adults and 10 kids had to find the best place to stay for a weekend. Villa Madeline and Maison Mango provided perfect accommodations for our large group. The fridge was stocked with coffee, creamer, milk, soy milk, juice and yogurt . Oatmeal and granola were on the counter and a basket of baked goods and fruit arrived every morning to the kids' delight. The rooms were decorated nicely and the bathrooms were spacious and clean. The grandparents stayed in the cottage for Maison Mango while kids and adults had plenty of room to scatter throughout the main houses. Made for a terrific weekend!

Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Mom G
Reviewed 2 August 2011

My husband and I stayed here for one night of our honeymoon. It was probably the most relaxing room we stayed in, and we would recommend Inn on Columbia to anyone else looking for the relaxing atmosphere of a B&B with lots of privacy.

We stayed here as a a last minute switch -- the hotel we booked was so uninhabitable that I called Inn on Columbia hoping they had a last-minute opening.

Thank goodness they did. The owners were pleasant and gave us great dining recommendations. The room itself was at a separate house a block away from the main Inn. Our room was so relaxing. The bed was just soft enough, and the bathroom was well-lit, clean, and had a personal whirlpool tub. The room was cooled by a single air conditioning unit, but it was powerful enough to keep the air cool and dehumidified without being overly noisy.

Although there were other guests at the house, we never heard them. We had been told to expect a continental breakfast for the morning, and the next day we found a box in the refrigerator full of fruit and zucchini bread, scones, and muffins. There was so much food there that we ate some for breakfast and saved the rest for lunch.

This place was perfect for us. To be honest, I have always been weary of staying in bed and breakfasts because the last thing I want to do in the morning is make small talk with strangers, no matter how nice they are. Because we stayed at the separate house, we had the privacy we wanted while retaining the homey atmosphere of a B&B. Great place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank artichokesue
Reviewed 1 August 2011

We had planned to stay at the Inn on Columbia but after checking in, we were not able to stay. We had signed up for the Hudson Suite, which is around the corner from the main house. I had seen pictures of it and thought it would be wonderful...it had a single bed in the living room, and a separate area with a queen bed (not an actual bedroom, no door but offered some privacy) so traveling with my son would provide each of us some privacy. However, although it stated that it was air conditioned, there is only one small unit which is in the living room, therefore not really felt anywhere but in that room. The unit was overly warm and I just could not imagine getting a good's night sleep someplace so hot. Management did allow me to check out, returned my check to me, and fortunately, I was able to secure other accomodations that were air conditioned.

Since I enjoy staying in luxury places, I expect to have certain ammenities and air conditioning is one of them. It stated that it was air conditioned but truly it is only partially. I would caution anyone about this if they are looking to stay here in the summer months but actually think the fall/winter and spring could be quite pleasant.

Unlike other B&Bs I have stayyed in, the owners were not overly friendly, even before I was aware of the air conditioning problem but I was OK with that. I think that the Hudson Suite would better be described as an efficiency unit, rather than a B&B. You have to make your own coffee and breakfast is some rolls deliverred the night before, store brand yougurt and orange juice. Which BTW, I was fine with, it's just not B&B fare.

Room Tip: summer - inquire about air conditioning if that's important to you