OHEKA CASTLE Hotel & Estate
US$ 139
The Harbor Rose(Cold Spring Harbor)
US$ 323
US$ 173
US$ 142
US$ 153
HolidayInn.com
East Norwich Inn(East Norwich)
US$ 141
US$ 137
US$ 222
Marriott Hotels
  • Pool
US$ 189
FourPoints.com
All reviewstour guidelong islandwhitney roomgrounds are beautifulcharlie chaplinluxury hoteltake picturesfree snacksoff limitsthe gold coastgreat gatsbyopen to the publiccrab cakesguest roomsan appetizeroriginal ownerstay overnight
Reviewed 16 May 2012

Oheka Castle has to be one of the most beautiful locations on the Island. Stunning in many ways, the grand entrance, beautiful foyers, manicured gardens. It is also a dream come true for a newlywed couple to be married. That said, it is not the place to stay if you are not part of the wedding party. My wife and I booked the room to be treated poorly by the staff who was ambivalent to non-wedding party guests. Visiting the lounge before dinner, the bar staff was busy making preparations for the reception and ignored us. Returning from dinner offsite, there was no valet available to take your car (valet required). After dropping my wife off at the door, I drove down the hill to park the car only to be challenged by the valet (who had to get items for the wedding party) that parking requires valet, even if they are not there (Really?). The wedding celebration lasted until after 2 am in the morning with the music shaking our 3rd floor bedroom walls. Having an early departure, when we shared our disappointing (and expensive) experience, the manager on duty said "too bad" and that they normally advise guests in advance and it was an oversight that we were not informed. No concern or apology. Very sad,disappointing, and unprofessional management and staff for such a grand location Breathtaking venue, ambivalent and disconnected staff to non-wedding party guests. Be sure you ask if they have a wedding reception scheduled......in advance.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
20  Thank Stbonne
Reviewed 2 May 2012

Oheka Castle deserves a 10star rating. The gardens and castle are renovated to its original splendour. The rooms are large and the bathrooms all uniquely decorated,some with a jaccuzzi. We felt as if we were royalty in our own castle, our own fairy tale dream.

I would highly recommend the castle tour as you get to appreciate the beauty and history of the "monopoly man's" castle.

2  Thank Maryna l
Reviewed 1 May 2012

I would give Oheka Castle 10 stars if I could. The place is more grand and luxurious than you can imagine. Our room was large with a huge bathroom with jaccuzzi. The bed was a queen ( a king would have been better) but there was a sitting area and a walk in closet. The place is as solidly built as any building anywhere. You dont hear your neighbors walking around or anything else.

We had a light lunch at the bar, and a fantastic dinner. Dont be put off by the prix fix menu. You can order ala carte. As a matter of fact they served us dinner in a room that once was the study of the lady of the house. We had the room to ourselves. In terms of atmosphere and service, it was one of the best meals we ever had.

I highly recommend Oheka Castle to anyone looking for a romantic getaway. I dont think it is a great place to bring kids, unless they can appreciate the beaty and the history of the Castle. We look forward to going back.

Room Tip: the fourth floor rooms have small windows
1  Thank mkairey
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We had great fun at Oheka. Yes, as other Trip Advisor reviewers had mentioned, there were some funky things about the room and the TV cabinet doors wouldn't stay open for us either, but when the expectations are set in the romantic historic roaring twenties spirit of the castle, the experience was great fun!

The bath room was very well done and the room, although a bit funky in spots and definitely decorated to fit the roaring twenties mantra, was very comfortable and enjoyable. It would have been nice to have a small end table for both sides of the bed, I used my suitcase instead.

We really really enjoyed our meal in the Charlie Chaplin room, the food was wonderful and the specialty drinks were professionally prepared and tasted great. Our service was top notch and it goes without saying that the setting and atmosphere was most interesting. The owner, who lives in the castle, came by and had a warm and friendly conversation with us.

We took the tour the next day and the guide was excellent, very informative and friendly. The grounds and building were open for us to stroll around (we really enjoyed the formal garden area) and we enjoyed seeing a wedding being set up for the coming night.

The only negative comment I would make it that there is a set a stairs in the grand entry that you have to carry your bags up. Normally I carry all my own bags and don't bother the bell staff, but for this one, you might want to accept their kind offers to take your bags to your room for you.

So is it up to top luxury hotel standards? Not yet, but he is still working on it. But if you come in with the right set of expectations it is a really fun and interesting place to stay!

Room Tip: The view out the top floor is obviously best, but the price is higher up there as well. Our view was of the wedding center roof.
1  Thank Submariner42
Reviewed 23 April 2012

My wife and I went there for her birthday with a Groupon. It is an amazing place. Gorgeous. Quiet. Easy to get to from NYC. You really felt like royalty. The room was beautiful, clean, and the bed was like sleeping on a cloud. The food was expensive (but that is to be expected) was delicious - worth the price! And the staff was amazing. I have never encountered nicer people at a hotel before. They really made sure that you were enjoying yourself and taken care of... also not a blink of the eye at the fact we were a lesbian couple. I wish I could move in! Thanks Gary and Staff!

2  Thank tentimes11