We had great fun at Oheka. Yes, as other Trip Advisor reviewers had mentioned, there were some funky things about the room and the TV cabinet doors wouldn't stay open for us either, but when the expectations are set in the romantic historic roaring twenties spirit of the castle, the experience was great fun!
The bath room was very well done and the room, although a bit funky in spots and definitely decorated to fit the roaring twenties mantra, was very comfortable and enjoyable. It would have been nice to have a small end table for both sides of the bed, I used my suitcase instead.
We really really enjoyed our meal in the Charlie Chaplin room, the food was wonderful and the specialty drinks were professionally prepared and tasted great. Our service was top notch and it goes without saying that the setting and atmosphere was most interesting. The owner, who lives in the castle, came by and had a warm and friendly conversation with us.
We took the tour the next day and the guide was excellent, very informative and friendly. The grounds and building were open for us to stroll around (we really enjoyed the formal garden area) and we enjoyed seeing a wedding being set up for the coming night.
The only negative comment I would make it that there is a set a stairs in the grand entry that you have to carry your bags up. Normally I carry all my own bags and don't bother the bell staff, but for this one, you might want to accept their kind offers to take your bags to your room for you.
So is it up to top luxury hotel standards? Not yet, but he is still working on it. But if you come in with the right set of expectations it is a really fun and interesting place to stay!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- OHEKA CASTLE is a majestic historic mansion located on Long Island's famed Gold Coast between New York City and The Hamptons. This French-style chateau is the second largest private residence in America and has undergone $30 million in restoration to transform this stately home back to its former 1920's grandeur. OHEKA is listed on the National Register for Historic Places and boasts 32 luxuriously appointed guestrooms and suites on the upper floors where guests can sleep like royalty. Guests can enjoy a leisurely stroll around the beautiful formal gardens designed by the Olmsted Brothers, take a mansion tour and learn about the rich history of OHEKA and Otto Kahn, or dine in the OHEKA Bar and Restaurant before retiring to your uniquely designed guestroom for an in-room massage. Breathtakingly beautiful, OHEKA CASTLE is admired around the world as a premier venue for exquisite weddings and gala celebrations and has been the backdrop to many prominent film and photo productions. The refined European atmosphere and the feeling of being transported back in time to the decadence of the Roaring Twenties consistently gives OHEKA the recognition as America's Grandest Castle. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your OHEKA CASTLE Hotel & Estate reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Oheka Castle Huntington
- Oheka Castle Hotel Huntington
- OHEKA CASTLE Hotel & Estate Huntington, Long Island