New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

and 1 more site!
Oheka Castle
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Huntington
Weymouth, Massachusetts
“Enchanted Castle and great getaway”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

Just driving up to the castle is fun! You feel as if you are going back in time. We stayed here with a Groupon Deal and it was worth it. The staff is very friendly and you are encouraged to explore and to roam around as you like. Bring a camera as it is very picturesque and decorated wonderfully. We stayed there for dinner and just hung out in the Bar. The owner was there and hanging out with the guests. He was very friendly and grateful to have visitors, which was very refreshing. This is not a stuffy/snobby place but instead a fun and welcoming place to visit or stay. The rooms are amazing and the beds are very comfy. This is a great place for an "Alice in Wonderland" escape.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank emtrip27
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Irvine, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

We stayed at Oheka Castle because we were attending a wedding there and were quite disappointed in it as a hotel. I applaud Gary, the person who has put millions into renovating it, but there is much work still to be done. Our room was a decent size, but didn't have a desk. The window was small and in the bathroom, the window was too high to look out. The furniture is traditional, but not the highest quality and much of it has chips. This was the first hotel I've been in for years that did not have a flat screen TV; there was a big old fashioned TV in the armoire. The bathroom was a great size with a jacuzzi, but we didnt' use it. I liked the two sinks, but they were so low, my back hurt using them. I also liked the makeup table, but the light was too bad there to use the makeup mirror. Breakfast was good, as was the free tour. My main complaint is that the place is oriented toward parties, not guests. Access to the first floor is limited; the elevator -- the only one, so it's a guest and freight elevator, not very attractive -- only goes to what they call the Lobby floor, which is the second floor. To go out the main entrance or to use the fitness room, which is in a different building, you must go down a beautiful two sides staircase. Unfortunately, this means that if people are taking photographs, you can't exit and you can't bring your luggage to or from your room unless you want to deal with the stairs. The fitness room was not very well equipped and didn't even have water. The TVs on the equipment didn't work. If you are going here just to have a nice romantic weekend, this is not the place. Go someplace that is more guest oriented and things are in better condition.

5 Thank Irvinereviewer
Dover, Delaware, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

We Bought the groupon deal for a visit here for $179. We was going to be in the area (3.5 hours from home) and decided this would be a great way to enjoy the overnight stay. I called 3 weeks out from the date that I wanted to stay and was told that there were no rooms available. I was a bit shocked since I gave, what I considered, plenty of lead-time. I then re-evaluated our stay in NY and was able to accommodate any day that week that the offer was good for (Sunday through Thursday) only to be told that there were no rooms for that entire week. The first thing I was told was that I could pay an additional $100 for an upgrade to a suite. I stated that I was not interested in that. I was then told that they would extend the offer for up to to additional weeks. That also didn't work since I was quite a ways away and would be in town for one day during the week that I extended my availability for. I was told that there was no other option. I requested to speak to a manager and was transferred to voicemail and left a message requesting a return call. That didn't happen. I called again the next day at 4pm, giving a manager plenty of time to return a call and again, no manager was available. I did get a return call this time and was met with the same indifference. I stated that the offer for me to pay an additional $100 was no accommodation at all since that was the price difference between the room category in the deal and the next level up anyway. 3.5 hours is a bit of a drive with no other function in the area for me to maximize my investment of drive time, not to mention the expense. I counter-offered by stating that I would pay for the upgraded room if they threw in dinner for two. I was told that dinner was $150 per person and that was out of the question. I then suggested an additional night for price of the upgrade. I was then told that the room was $600 per night and again, no deal. I told him that there was no more accommodations that I was going to make and that I was being more-than-fair since they could not live up to the deal that they offered and I bought. I received the standard and trite reply "There's nothing I can do". I advised him that I would make my options heard and he stated that there was nothing that he could do to stop me, as though I needed his permission to state my case. He then retorted that he will be posting a reply. I welcome his comments since I have told both sides of the story already.

This is likely a very beautiful establishment with a lot to see. Unfortunately, I will never see it. They obviously need business. That is the primary, if not only reason a business will partner with Groupon. Management at Oheka need to keep that in mind when a guest buys the offer and is willing to be flexible with arrival dates and willing to pay more for something they didn't bargain for. This is not the way to get to take advantage of the most-effective and least-expensive advertisement tool : personal recommendations.

By the way, Groupon was the exact opposite. I requested a refund for the deal. I was well-outside the return time-frame. They handle additional requests on a case-by-case basis and sided with me after I told them this story.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
32 Thank Jeffery M
NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

Received a Groupon overnight stay as a Christmas Gift. We just returned home. Castle is BEAUTIFUL. They need to work on the front desk staff. They had given wrong information as to the time of the tour. I had even called one day in advance to be sure of the tour time because that was on our must do list. Sadly missed it due to the wrong time they had given us (11AM instead of 10AM). They offered us a tour with a bus load of Elementary children, and we tried, but clearly it wasn't the same. Also we were made to wait outside in the cold for 5 minutes before we could even enter the caste , while a bridal party took their pictures.
We would go back for another visit, because it is so beautiful and full of history, but a word of advice... go during the week, NOT on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday. The castle is clearly used mostly for a Wedding Venue as well as Business events.!! All in all, worth the trip!

Room Tip: Groupon is the only way to go... Rooms are very expensive otherwise.
1 Thank BeckyNY
Paris, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

Let me guess…you have “groupon” and you’re planning to use it soon? Mine came with accommodation, castle tour for two ($50 value), two complimentary cocktail drinks and continental breakfast.

The hotel is located about 45 minutes from Manhattan. There’s not much to do around there unless you’re a golf lover. I suggest a Horse Riding trail for $40 (per person/per hour) at Sweet Hill Stable. Its 5 minutes from the hotel.

There are too many fine prints. I understand that the rules are intended for the well being of the hotel guest, BUT…When you’re staying at a luxury hotel, you expect to be pampered and treated like royalty. You suppose to fell relax + happy going to that particular hotel. I didn’t feel this way at the beginning.

Reservation was made quickly and easily, but never got the confirmation letter as promised. Called the 2nd time to get the confirmation letter and we got it. Then we had some (concierge) questions and emailed twice and again no respond at all.

ENTRANCE/GARDEN: you have to go through some houses then you’ll see the hotel’s gate. As you approach the gate, you’ll enter this beautiful gravel driveway surround with evergreen trees on both sides (one way in, one way out). As of March 12, the reflecting pools are filled with water in the garden area. See pictures above.

VALET: Complimentary valet parking is included. They require all keys to be left at front desk in case of filming and photo shoots. Valet was fast and efficient.

FRONT DESK/CONCIERGE/BELL PERSON: the “Grand Stair” is the first thing you’ll see when you enter the castle. Front desk is located to the right of it. Check in was quick- its look like they already have all the room assigned and keys were made for all guests arriving that day. The front desk looks like a typical office, not a reception desk. I didn’t see where the concierge or the bell people were located.

ROOM: there are 32 rooms, 4 floors. The owner (Gary) lives in the castle so expect to see him around with Mia-she’s a cutie! The hotel is shaped like the letter “E”. We’re assigned to room #320, which face the back of the castle. Our view: golf course. King side bed, sofa, 2 televisions, complimentary snacks/waters, DVD player, VHS player, 2 robes ($145 added to your bill if you take it), large bathroom with soaking tub and standing shower with L'Occitane amenities. You can’t open the window. They should upgrade the iron; the current one doesn’t have a retractable cord! We didn’t hear our neighbors, but could hear the water running on both sides when they turn it on or use the toilet.

TOUR: it’s at 10am and it’s about an hour long. Bring your camera! You can take pictures “because we’re not a museum” as mentioned by the tour guide. If you read the fine prints, NO JEANS allowed. LOLs, you can tell some people did do their homework. Some people came with suit and tie while other wore jeans and sneakers. If I were you, dress casual- you definitely don’t need to wear a suit! We asked one of the valet attendants, he said there’s really no dress code. The tour guide gave us the history of the castle (you can read it yourself on the website), took us around the castle to the see the ballrooms, the reflecting garden, the bridal suite, the bar, the library, Charles Chaplin’s room. I like my room compared the bride suite (Room#401). The only thing I like about the bridal suite is the size, the view of the garden and the tub. I find Chaplin’s room interesting because there are so many antiques, collections and information of Oheka in the media. So I found out that Kevin JONAS, Anthony WEINER, Michael LOHAN all got married here (just to name a few). The Clintons stayed here, the show Royal Pains filmed here and the castle is used in a lot of commercials and photo shoots.

Here are some of the fine prints I mentioned earlier:
- Dress code: country club casual or evening attire in all area according to website/brochure and confirmation letter. We found out that this was not the case when we got there! People can wear jeans, sneaker and t-shirts in all area of the estate.
- 21 yrs old to book a room/18 yrs old to check in.
-No outside food or drink.
-Non-Smoking hotel, so no need to request a non-smoking room! Violator will be charge a recovery fee of $250 + taxes.
-check in is at 3pm + check out is at… I don’t know: 11am on website/brochure and 12 noon on confirmation letter.
-Late check out? Half night’s rate between 11am-2pm and full night’s rate after 2pm.
- Rate is for double occupancy so if you have extra guest the fee is $75, crib, microwave, frig is $ 25 per night + taxes. It’s $35 on the confirmation letter.
- Continental breakfast included up too guests from 8:30-10:30 a.m.; Non-registered guest is an additional $25 + taxes. Very friendly and attentive staff!!
- 24 hrs fitness center -we didn’t use.
- Non-Party Clause: they’ll charge you $1500 if they find out that partied in your room!
-Only dogs allowed with a cleaning fee of $200 per pet/per day!
-One Bride policy, which means that if you got married off property, you better take your gown off before going to the castle!

Overall the castle is beautiful, our stay was fine. It’s definitely a great opportunity for amateur photographer + a romantic place for love birds.

Managements might want to look at their policies over as you can see there are a lot of discrepancies and have someone follow up on emails.

Btw, the castle is still in the process of restoring so don’t be picky-you definitely see cracks here and there!

8 Thank tantam0unt
Also consider these accommodations in or near Huntington
3.5 km away
16.4 km away
Glen Cove Mansion and Conference Center
2.7 km away
Days Inn Woodbury Long Island

Been to Oheka Castle? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK