“More than just a B&B”

Fairlawn Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Hunter B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 24 February 2012

Location is great, very clean. Chuck is great. He even clean my car after snow storm. I would definitely stay here again. Thanks Chuck!

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank Mark R
Ctomajko, Owner at Fairlawn Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2012

Jamie J,
Thanks for the compliments on your stay and we look forward to your return and hope it is often.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 23 February 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Fairlawn in this past January, and we had a wonderful visit. The Bed and Breakfast is very charming, and our room was bright, cozy, and inviting. It was so nice waking up and seeing a view of Hunter Mountain. Chuck was a gracious innkeeper, and we enjoyed his recommendations of dining options, as well as upcoming events in the area. The location of this property could not be better if you are skiing at Hunter Mountain!

Lastly, breakfast was delicious. I really enjoyed that there was a choice for each meal. Most Bed and Breakfasts provide one option to all of the guests, so I enjoyed being able to select from several yummy choices.

Overall, it was an excellent weekend getaway, and my husband and I will definitely return the next time we visit Hunter Mountain.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jamie J
Reviewed 6 February 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Fairlawn Inn based on the high reviews and ratings on various web sites, even though the prices were a little bit more expensive than other area accommodations. As such, our expectations were high. This is the second Bed and Breakfast we've ever stayed at, our first being in the Poconos last year. That was a very positive experience which made us want to try another one.

The Fairlawn Inn met our expectations. There were a few spider webs in the room, specifically from the ceiling light fixture to the wall, but nothing of major concern (in fact at the last Bed and Breakfast we stayed at I found a large spider crawling on my pillow, so that's nothing new). My only complaint was that upon checking in after a day of skiing, we were looking forward to being able to take a nice hot shower. I assume other guests had the same idea because neither of us had hot water during our showers. So if you book the room with the two person jacuzzi, I'm not sure if you'll actually have enough hot water to fill it.

As for privacy, we could hear the guests in the adjacent rooms, so don't plan on having too much privacy if that is a concern. However, they were quiet and we were able to go to sleep early, since we were really tired. We utilized the built-in DVD player on the small 21"ish LCD TV in our room for a Netflix movie we brought. However, we were too tired to make it all the way through.

The added touched of a soft drink stocked mini-fridge behind the dry bar downstairs and snacks was a nice touch. Breakfast was good, as well. Chuck was a gracious inn keeper and runs his Bed and Breakfast efficiently. If you're planning to visit Hunter Mountain for skiing or summer-time activities, this location is excellent. From our seat at breakfast we could see the slopes across the street.

Room Tip: Get a room with access to the dining room so you don't have to walk outside in the cold
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank millertime83
Ctomajko, Owner at Fairlawn Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2012

We appreciate that we met this guests expectation but we try to exceed expectations with each guest when they visit. We did not exceed their expectation on this visit but appreciate their feedback and will continue to try. Sorry about the cobwebs, we inspect each room prior to check in and unfortunately this time we missed that.

About the hot water issue, only on very rare occasions is there not enough hot water. Sometimes guests returning from skiing all use their showers or baths simultaneously and it cannot keep up. Had this guest called, I could have indicated if they waited a few minutes to give the hot water heater time to catch up he would have had all the hot water he needed. We have 80 gallons of 180 degree water in holding tanks but as indicated on rare occasions we do run out when many guests choose to shower at the same time.

About noise, it is an older home and though it has been insulated the type of construction is such that you will hear noises coming from adjacent rooms. Conversations no, but minor noises yes, that is the nature of the beast in an historic home. Normally common courtesies by guests are followed and we get very little complaints about noise.

The Flat Screen (19") TV with expanded cable has a built in DVD player and is an adequate size in my estimation and were just recently updated. Some bed and breakfasts do not have TV's in rooms but we do offer them in all rooms. We have a video library with many choices also. We offer a 32" Flat Screen TV with DVD player in the common area room if guests would like to use that in lieu of the one in their room. Again, we appreciate this and every guests feedback, it is through this feedback that we can strive for a better experience for each guest.

Reviewed 16 January 2012

We just returned from a 3-day weekend at the Fairlawn Inn. As you can tell from the title we had a fabulous time. My husband and I were greeted at the door by Chuck, the friendly and gregarious owner of the inn. As it was my birthday get-away, my sister had called ahead and arranged for cheese plate and bottle of Presecco be put in out room. When we got upstairs we found a delightful assortment of cheeses, fruit, crackers and sweets. Our room, the Gazebo, was beautiful. We sipped our Presseco while lounging on the fainting couch. From the front 3 windows we had a very pretty view of Hunter Mountain. We stayed there 3 nights and all three nights we slept soundly. The breakfasts, whipped up by Chuck, were fantastic. There were 3 options each time, plus fruit and pastries.

We had gone up to Hunter to cross-country ski but as the snow wasn't the best, Chuck suggested several small hikes we could take. If you are a downhill skier the entrance to Hunter is quite close to the inn--definitely walkable in 5 or so minutes if you aren't lugging gear.

If you are planning a trip to the Catskills and are looking for a beautiful, Victorian inn to stay at, the Fairlawn is a great choice. We'll be back.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Josietravels
Ctomajko, Owner at Fairlawn Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2012

This couple was great to have at the Inn. They were a pleasure to have around, had many conversations and we always like it when guests enjoy the common area rooms. We hope they will return often, next for TAP NY I think. Thanks for the great review - we appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed 28 December 2011

My husband, son and I stayed at the Fairlawn Inn for one night so we could ski at Hunter Mountain. Chuck the Innkeeper is a wonderful person. The Inn is absolutely beautiful. We stayed in the Rasberry Room which was just charming, extremely comfortable and perfect for three people. I was impressed with the direction the Inn has taken to go green. Chuck recommended places in the area to eat and his recommendation was perfect. My family travels frequently during the year and over the years have stayed at numerous hotels, B&B's and Inns. This Inn is right up there with the best places we have stayed.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Ctomajko, Owner at Fairlawn Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2011

Thank you for your kind words about the inn and the innkeeper. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and hope you will return often.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hunter
10.6 km away
6.7 km away
Mountain Brook
Mountain Brook
#2 of 5 in Tannersville

Been to Fairlawn Inn? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK