“They're getting there...”
Review of Ermirio's italian

Ermirio's italian
Price range: US$ 3 - US$ 27
Description: Regional Italian cuisine in a sit down , white tablecloth setting. We also feature a casual dining pizza dining area, and 15 course brunch on Saturday and Sunday. We have a private party room available upon request.
Reviewed 31 March 2017

A lovely little (and much needed, I might add) NYC-style Italian restaurant bordering on what most would consider "fine dining". This venue has two sides. Upon entering, it has the fairly typical look of a regular pizza joint, but step up and to the right and you'll find a pleasant, roomy, and atmospherically lit area, not overly decorated in a good way, and (for a change) appropriate music and at an (also for a change) unoffensive volume (lots of Sinatra!)

I was a little disappointed to learn that they were completely out of the appetizer I wanted, as well as a major fish entree and steak in all aspects was 86'ed as well, which for a Friday night could well be a major contributor to being a deal-breaker for some. I gave the benefit of the doubt in this case and attributed it to part of the growing pains of a relatively new establishment. Hopefully these errors will be learned from. I assume this is in large part is due to the owner(s)' being pretty conservative in their edible supply ordering from their vendors to test the waters.

One other slight downfall is that they do not yet have their liquor license, though I understand that is diligently being worked on. Obviously this could be an issue for those who enjoy a pre-dinner cocktail or a decent wine with their meals. However, although it is not technically BYOB, the insinuation was to keep it under the radar and it will be "allowed", for lack of a better term. Now to the meal...

The bread was very good, and is served with a side of dipping olive oil. My guest and I both found the oil to be rather bland. It could definitely use another go-round of seasoning and I think roasted garlic cloves would be an excellent touch. We ordered the drunken chicken (which is basically chicken parm over over pasta in a sauce reminiscent of penne vodka, but a little different) and the pesto tortellini. Both dishes were very good and impressively portioned. But based on the price structure, I believe the portioning was fair.

The service overall was nice and friendly, and the (owner??) made a point of making brief "How is everything?" visits to the tables, which was a nice touch rather than some managers/owners who spend the majority of the evening hiding behind a tiny desk in a cramped room somewhere in the depths of back-of-house. Overall a very enjoyable meal and we were able to take some home with us as well.

The one thing that I could not figure out for the life of me was the delivery of the check. I asked for it when I was ready, and the server disappeared for almost a full 15 minutes, until another party came to give a mysterious apology for the check taking so long to appear. Another few minutes went by and then it came. No issues from there and we left agreeing to give it another go at some point.

In general, definitely worth at least one visit and certainly a must for Italian food lovers in Highland Falls proper. They also have a weekend brunch which I am anxious to try.

4  Thank Ridethewind95

Reviewed 27 March 2017

I was at West Point this past weekend and my son's tennis team had take out from this restaurant on both Friday and Saturday. The pizza Friday night and the chicken parm and pasta on Saturday night were amazing. My only recommendation would be to order the food a little earlier than you want it.

On Saturday night I went here for dinner with my family. It is a great italian menu with some french flare since the chef is French.

We had the mozzarella sticks which I would say were typical. My husband said the muscles were amazing and he knows his muscles. The stuffed mushrooms and caesar salad were very good not great not bad. The onion soup was excellent and so was the special rice ball appetizer.

For entrees on the menu the carbonara and the shrimp pasta dish were both excellent and flavorful. My husband and aunt had 2 specials. One was the bronzino and one was chicken marsala and they said they were terrific.

Based on the dining options I saw in Highland I would say this is your best bet and the menu was very good!

6  Thank luv2travel068
Reviewed 28 February 2017

I had high hopes for this new restaurant but, as an Italian myself, and someone who eats in the City frequently and used to waiter at an upscale French restaurant, they are charging NYC prices for Highland Falls quality. The portions are small, their prices are too high for the quality and quantity, and while the service was very friendly, it was lacking in regards to proper etiquette in service for a restaurant that is claiming to be the caliber it is. As an example, when 2 of us sat down, not one person including the maitre'd removed the remaining 2 place settings for our entire meal; the waitress barely came to our table and when she did and we finally asked for more bread and olive oil, she told us the kitchen was out of "basil" so they could not bring more, they left empty appetizer plates on the table instead of clearing them before bringing out the main course. Our chicken and veal were good, not phenomenal, but the calamari appetizer was under-cooked. We drank water, had calamari for the appetizer, 2 main courses, and no desserts and before tip the bill came to $62. If the prices were reduced by about 25-33%, we might consider going back but it is definitely not worth what they charge.

2  Thank Noone123456
Management response:Responded 2 March 2017

I'm sorry for your bad experience. As far as food quality, I guarantee as compared to any restaurant I town we are far superior. However given your strong response I am happy to refund your meal.

When you compare prices to those in town, since you eel strongly about it, it may be 10 percent higher but we use the best quality fresh ingredients including seafood and all meats.

You can call me at the restaurant for your refund

John mclellan

845 859 4907

Reviewed 25 February 2017

Ermirio's is actually two restaurants, a more formal one with an extensive versatile menu and next door, a charming small pizza parlor. On a recent trip to the Hudson highlands to visit friends I discovered this gem. My friend and I dined in the intimate yet lively dining room for dinner and returned the next day for breakfast in the cheery parlor. The food was delicious on both occasions. Will definitely return when in the area again.

8  Thank Tiorati
Reviewed 12 February 2017 via mobile

I started visiting this restaurant before they were fully open just to try out portions of their menu. At the time, the owner was giving away free slices of pizza and garlic knots to anyone who came in. The owner is very nice and has hired real European chefs that fix an awesome pizza or an elegant Italian meal with all the fixings...The dining room is decorated with small white lights, linen table clothes, and Italian fixtures and decor, which makes an evening out truly special. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone who desires a real authentic Italian meal with an alluring atmosphere. You will feel like you are back in Italy as you are serenaded with Frank Sinatra or traditional Italian songs as you dine in true Italian fashion...Fabulous!

8  Thank Kathy L