1,677 results
All reviews horseback riding snow tubing fun barn paddle boats family resort pony rides the main lodge girl scout weekend ping pong bungee jumping great family vacation all inclusive resort nightly entertainment single parent shows at night indoor pool banana boat
Reviewed 4 September 2010

We cannot wait to return. Had so much fun on the banana boats horseback riding was great, every time i return it gets better. They keep the grounds immaculate. breathtaking.
I really felt so comfortable and relaxed they kept the kids busy all day , my children wanna return for christmas if not definetly next summer thanks RHR

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 September 2010

After taking the kids (age 7) to the Mohonk Mountain House, we thought this would be a nice change. The kids had never been on skis and the free instruction was definitely a draw for us. The fact that the kids could also go to a kids camp for a few hours was also appealing, so my husband and I could do some things on our own. The instruction turned out to be (albeit nice) instructors telling the kids to "pizza pie slice" to stop. We didn't use the kids camp, as there was nothing adult to do (except horseback ride). The pool was kidified -- with no place for adults to get exercise. The "gym" -- was a closet. The food was horrible. The first night I ordered fish -- and there were tons of bones in it. The lunch was school cafeteria quality spongey meat. Dining with garabage pails behind the tables was a huge turn-off. Breakfast was the only decent meal. The staff avoided eye-contact and any type of pleasantries, as if they couldn't wait for you to get out of their area of responsibility and shove you into someone else's domain. Ted of the dining staff stood out as knowing good customer service --as he was friendly, helpful and welcoming (in a sea of indifference). There was also a horse handler (Susan, I believe) who was very good and patient with the kids on the horses. It was an expensive stay -- and I much would have rather been up the road at the Mohonk Mt House, where the staff truly is happy that they are there, that you are there, and are willing to make your stay memorable. I will never revisit Rocking Horse Ranch -- even if it was free.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
22  Thank dgisola7
Reviewed 2 September 2010

Ok, here it goes, I went with my 10 year old daughter , my best friends and her two sons, ages 7 and 9. This place can be fun with friends. All inclusive not really. The rooms fit at least 6 persons, in the main lodge, two double beds, and bunkbeds. Ok the rooms were dark for me - open those curtains - but it was CLEAN. Breakfast is ample - ask for omlets made to order, even egg whites, plenty of great fresh fruit, blackberries raspberries and such. The pools are fun for kids, running back and forth - plenty of lifeguards. As for signing up get there before 4:30pm - horseback is best in the morning before the heat of the day, and if you love it like my kid - go at 8am - yes 8am standby and get lots of attention - no lines and more fun. The staff is very encouraging and there is no need to be worried about the horse, they walk on their own, and there are three levels, if you have some background. Banana boat is a thrill - sign up one for horse back and banana boat for the whole trip - water skiing you have to sign up daily. Yes that is limiting. Wait in line for bungee and rockclimbing. Kayaking, paddleboats and fishing - there was not a line. Lunch = what can I say - not my thing, being on a restricted diet - of low salt and cholesterol - could not do it - salad plain, lots of sandwiches, including nutterbutter - sorry vegetarians - this meal sucks, unless you like pasta - dry - plain salad, french fries, and if you are lucky tacos with cheese = back out to pool, our kids do not play often so they had lots of fun together - water is ample around and free. Snack bar you have to pay for. There was a pina colada party - for one hour with free drinks and nice snacks - veggies and taquitos. Then there is a lull if you have 7:30pm dinning - dinner was not bad - there is a vegetarian option - which is ok - but it is not buffet and the food comes out quickly - I did not say it before but you are seated with other families - and its neat to hear what they are experience, where they are from - I like it. Night life - what can I say - if you are 8 you will love it. Not really for adults at all - there is major room for improvement here. I apologize now for the families around us - we were loud - we were like a stampede coming down the halls. Oh this is very family oriented - yes you can bring your own drinks and there is a bar - but I did not at any time see overkill with drinking. This place is for families and its shows. Young families - not sure if would go back next year - We went for three days and two nights and that was ample. Also very important - you can come early and use the facilities - I arrived at 9;30am and there was not a problem.. Cute gift store. Shooting range with supervision. Staff here are basically friendly, but tough when they have to be. Yes its quite expensive, again this place has potential, with they had more activities, but overall I was happy - especially it was clean. Again for small children only - teenagers will be bored - My child felt safe running around - the place is great for this and kids really enjoy it -

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mishy119
Reviewed 30 August 2010

I think this place has tremendous potential, but do agree with all of the negative reviews here.
I found the food awful, the rooms adequate, the staff disinterested (especially the younger ones), limited flexibility/availability/options for activities and dining.
I was very surprised by how many people I had met who come every year. My 16 and 14 year old kids were bored in an hour.
The internet was only spotty in the lobby at best.
I think what I was most shocked by was the "all-inclusive" advertising. The activities were all included, but the only available food was at scheduled times. Food at the pool bar, or pretzels at the lodge bar were not free. Drinks for the kids throughout the day are not free.I think they have a long way to go to make the stay worth the money they charge for it.

As someone else said, the trail rides are overcrowded and slow. I did feel that they were well supervised, though. There were a lot of experienced riders keeping an eye on all of us beginners, so I always felt safe.

It was just rather disappointing.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
5  Thank DrissD
Reviewed 21 August 2010

We had an absolutely awesome vacation at Rocking Horse Ranch, and we can't wait to go back next summer. This place is so child-friendly and there is so much to do, that for once there was no whining whatsoever and not one complaint of boredom. This place is kid-heaven. You must sign-up for horse-back riding, water skiing and banana boat rides, but you can also try to go on stand-by, which worked well for us on several occasions. Sign-ups need some better organization and more staff, we did have to wait on line for about half an hour. The room was basic but nice, and the beds were surprisingly comfy. Breakfast and lunch are buffet-style, with loads of choices. At dinner you order from a menu. We found the appetizers to be very good, but the main courses get mixed reviews. The kitchen is very flexible, so if you don't like something there is no problem getting you something different. The ranch is laid out well -- you can walk to all the different areas easily. There are plenty of spots to lounge and relax. I was very impressed with how clean the entire facility was. The staff in all departments were very friendly, pleasant and helpful. We enjoyed the entertainment in the evenings. This was our first horse back riding experience, and the wranglers (horse staff) could not have been better. They were also very good with a little boy behind me who became scared, and they helped him make it through to the end of the ride. The horses are beautiful. Make sure to watch them at the end of the day cross the street to the stables. I give RHR high marks - you won't be disappointed!!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family