1,676 results
All reviews horseback riding snow tubing fun barn paddle boats family resort pony rides the main lodge girl scout weekend ping pong bungee jumping great family vacation all inclusive resort nightly entertainment single parent shows at night indoor pool banana boat
Reviewed 21 April 2012

Just returned from a two night stay and wish we had another night. Tried to extend, but they were sold out! This was our first visit to the ranch and we will definitely go back!! Traveled with my mom and two sons, ages 6 & 9. This is my first review on Trip Advisor, but feel compelled to contribute as we had such a great time!

Staff: Left my purse in the car, went to get it around 9pm. Walked by staff member in the pick up area and asked if it was really dark in the lower parking lot, without missing a beat he instantly called George at entrance gate,then walked me to George and George walked me to my car with his flashlight (and btw, it wasn't even that dark). George then recommended I move my car to a closer spot that was right up front. Another example is Kevin who was working in the fun barn, he kept himself SO BUSY, not your typical teenage employee (which there were several of as well). I watched as he took all of the plastic balls and wiped them down with disinfectant wipes then he wiped down all of the ping pong tables, organized the ping pong equipment, gathered/ searched for missing balls from the air guns. I'm a organization freak, so seeing him do this made me happy in a strange way..lol.
He's a gem, deserves a raise, seriously :)
Lifeguards were very attentive!! The non-stop pacing from kiddie pool to slide does Not go unnoticed, every parent I talked to was impressed, nice job. Training very evident.
Many other nice encounters, Ted as a server, well he's just great, ask to sit at his section and leave him a tip people, not at every meal, but something before you check out.
Rooms: Stayed in a bunk room, main lodge 202. Spacious, reminds me of a Disney moderate resort. At night I could hear people coming up the stairs, even had the "Louds" in the room next to us, but we were hardly ever in our room, and when their baby cried, we were so tired that we didn't even care, just glad our kids were out cold and we didn't have to rock anyone to sleep, Ha! Fell asleep early each night 9:30 or so and didn't hear a peep in the halls till at least 7:15, most people with kids are ready to get up at that time anyway. Clean room, shower had great pressure. Forgot our hair dryer and they brought us one that only had a low setting, so just bring your own.
Food: We loved the food, the fruit was fresh and abundant!! So much to choose from. Breakfast buffet had all the staples. Pancakes, french toast, eggs, bacon etc. variety of cereals. Had oatmeal every morning with a little brown sugar and put blueberries and strawberries on top, very healthy. The only thing stopping you from eating healthy at the ranch is...you guessed it... temptation!! Lunch buffet, loved it. Made myself a huge salad each day. The lettuce is baby field greens or baby spinach, I had both. Topped it with hard boiled egg, chick peas, red onion, beets and fresh chunks of avocado. Made myself bruschetta on whole wheat, avo and field greens tossed with red onion and balsamic. Perfect. Kids had fries, burgers, pasta. There are so many ingredients on the buffet that with a little imagination you can make what ever the heck you want, and if you are missing something, just ask and they will get it if they can. The most impressive part is how fresh everything is and how well maintained the buffet was. As soon as the sprinkles started to get messy someone cleaned them up...every...single...time!! Go for the fresh stuff and make yourself something delicious. Dinner: good too, but not my favorite as I liked making sure my meals were healthy. I had fish both nights and it was surprisingly superb. Citrus Tilapia loin one night, cooked perfectly, moist, delicious. Sesame Salmon the next, cooked perfectly. Thought it would be dry, expected it to be dry, it was once again perfect and moist. Salads each night were already tossed in salad bowls, caesar one night and ranch dressing the next. They were super delicious, but super fattening. Just had a taste. Should have spoken up and I'm sure they would have brought me a green salad. There was always a red meat, fish and chicken. The prime rib looked great, and my sons steak on the second night, cooked medium rare was perfect. The food is perfect for the target clientele, and exceeded our expectations. Had a spa lunch at a Four Seasons recently and guess what, every single thing I had there was available at the ranch. Greens, fruits, nuts, sunflower seeds, yogurts.....it is all there. The three o'clock sampling is, once again perfect. The last day we were there 4/19, it was a fresh pasta station tossed with lemon, chili, and 3 fresh salsas along with a wine tasting with various cheese selections.. goat, manchego, asiago, brie and a few others. I paired the goat cheese with the peach salsa... delicious. There was also fresh hummus & flatbread and a tomato basil mozz mixture. Only wish I could have sampled the wines, but had to drive back to Boston.
Omg, haven't even gotten to the activities!! Well, we did everything possible. I did a little batting practice with my son, endless ping pong games, volleyball, fishing (caught 4 fish, took pork products from breakfast as bait), kayaks...everything, can't list em all, if it's on the website, we did it. Favorites were: Rifle range, tug a war lead by Bullseye, the bungee jump (yes it has the longest line, if it's too long just leave and come back later) We were there while the resort was at full capacity and it somehow didn't feel that crowded. It's about connecting with your kids and your family, which means DOING things together, laughing and experiencing stuff together. Not just sitting there watching your kids do stuff. If you're kinda lazy or expect things like room service and hotel safes and lockers at the stables, just go somewhere else and leave the ranch to those who get what this place is all about. It's about making "Remember when..moments" Leave your Louis at home ladies, this is not a place to bring your valuables. Why someone needs a locker at the stables is beyond me. Have a ping pong or bb gun challenge with your kids or spouse. Challenge another family to a volleyball game, see who can do the tread wall the longest etc.
Quickly, the horses. Loved it, if you are an "advanced rider" please don't hate on the ranch for not challenging you. Target clientele are those of us who are not riders, simply put. Go to your own specialized riding camp somewhere else, have fun while you're here, but don't ask the ranch to be something it is not. There are over a HUNDRED horses here, horses poop, sometimes you smell it, so what. One of my favorite things was hanging out with Misty, a wrangler horse, who is quite possibly the sweetest most cuddly horse ever. She was tied at the fence while the riders were loading and several times I would just sit there are pet her while she was waiting to go back out. For me, that was better than riding. So, in conclusion, buck up and go if you can afford it. If its a stretch for you financially, then don't go because then you are going to be one of the people thinking about all the money you are spending and not really enjoying yourself. Great value for the money in my opinion. I wish "Five Star Dad" with the bad review would have left because then I could have stayed another day :)

6  Thank apvc
Reviewed 19 April 2012

This was a great experience ,great food and drink .the kids loved there room ,the boys had bunk beds made from logs ,plenty of great indoor and outdoor activities for the whole family to do, you dont have time to be bored. horse back riding on trails ,paddle boat,mini golf ,bananer boat, water skiing .rock wall climbing,indoor and outdoor water rides and pools, the list goes on.We stayed two nights and 3 days .the management and staff were excellent and friendly .The rocking horse ranch was a trip filled with great memories that will stay with us a lifetime...The best vacations are the all inclusive ones you got what you paid for,great time ,great food, great memories ,great price.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank mario p
Reviewed 19 April 2012

I just returned from my week at RHR with the family. We've been there before and this time was no different. The activities are first rate no matter what age (6 and 12). I love that it gets the kids away from the TV and computer and they don't even miss it! My 6 year old is a very picky eater, but there was always something on the menu for him -- even got him to try some new things. The food was absolutely wonderful! I don't know who's in charge of staff training, but they are to be commended. From the moment you arrive until the moment you leave they can't do enough for you - always a smile and "hello, can I help you?". Its also amazing how they keep everything so clean even with kids running around. With the economy what it is right now, at least I know I'll get my money's worth of activities, accommodations, and meals. Really perfect for a family get-away!
Keep up the good work!!

3  Thank MadameT828
Reviewed 17 April 2012

Had a great time at RHR- best part was really...the staff and the horsback riding. "Chet" in the rifle range/archery shed was fantastic! He was nice to the kids and us- really made us feel welcome. Meagan and Mary in the stable was a tremendous help to me- who is (was) so afraid of horses but wanted to be brave w/ my 3 boys there watching and waiting for me. Scott ?(great guy that assigned the horses) really made it special for my son who loved riding the same horse (Daquiri).The staff was really the best part- Thanks to all!

Room Tip: we stayed in the area off of the playground...not a great location.
1  Thank ssbNy
Reviewed 17 April 2012

They charge 1 adult and 1 -6 year old $1800 for a 3 night, mid week stay in July, when they advertise "$279 per night, kids stay free." I have stayed for a night and was not charged $600 a night with my daughter. The girl on the phone was a snot. The food is disgusting--for $1800 I'll book a cruise with food that isn't microwaved. The horseback riding is pathetic also---they bring you in circles on the advanced ride.The Oklahoma room was a shack--the bed was sagging and must have been about 20 years old!!! The only thing they have going for them were the babysitters and the pools.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
19  Thank Virgo474
rockinghorseranch, Owner at Rocking Horse Ranch Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2012

Virgo474,

You stated that you visited us in September of 2011 and had a nice enough experience that you wanted to return in July of 2012. I sincerely thank you for considering us again.

I would though like to clarify a few items in your post that are misleading to other guests.

Our rates for summer are accurate, however these rates are based on double-adult occupancy in our Oklahoma building. It appears you were quoted for our Main Lodge accommodations with all taxes and fees included.

Our rates are all-inclusive, this can actually help stretch your dollar when you are looking for a vacation destination with accommodations, meals, 6 water slides, 4 heated pools (which you enjoyed in Sept), all activities, horseback riding, banana boat rides—all included in your stay. Only one cruise ship I know of has a water slide as long as ours; we have six slides to their one! Cruise ships do charge for every activity other than the pool and slide.

As for our Oklahoma building, I think “shack” is a little stretch. The building was recently renovated with completely new bedding, furniture and fixtures. All our facilities earn the the AAA 3 Diamond rating. Regarding your food comments, I will review the menus and talk to Chef Michael Hoysradt. I will also review comments from guests who stayed with us during that period.

The Advance Ride Trail System occupies several miles of varied terrain: crossing 4 streams, a mountain ridge and 100 acres of apple orchards and dense woods. The route for the Advance Ride has been creatively designed by Scott our Barn Foreman, Lisa the Assistant Barn Foreman and myself.

I ask that you call me directly so we can find the right time for you and your 6-year old to come and enjoy Rocking Horse again. I will personally work with you to find the best rate that would fit your budget.

Steve Turk