1,676 results
All reviews horseback riding snow tubing fun barn paddle boats family resort pony rides the main lodge girl scout weekend ping pong bungee jumping great family vacation all inclusive resort nightly entertainment single parent shows at night indoor pool banana boat
Reviewed 28 October 2011

Visited for the first time last weekend with a group of friends. We were completly blown away by the manicured lawns, exotic plants, well laid our paths and the exceptional cleanliness of the place. Although there were many guests, at no time did we feel crowded. What a great place for families, the kids and parents were having a fun time enjoying the many activites, including ball fields, tractor rides and of course the indoor pool. There is even a beginner ski slope with snowmakers for winter fun.
Enjoyed watching those magnificient horses crossing the street to their evening pasture. It is a good feeling to see how well these beautiful animals are loved and cared for here.
We enjoyed a drink at the bar followed by a delicious meal in the large dining room and WOW the desserts! The staff, no matter where, were always friendly, courteous, eager to please and made us feel at home.
The haunted house was quite an experience. Although Washingon Irvings "Headless Horseman" roams the woods a number of miles and across the Hudson River from Rocking Horse Ranch it is conceivable that his relatives are haunting the fields of Highland NY.
Hoping to have our ski club enjoy a few days here come the spring

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank 843ChrisB
Reviewed 28 October 2011

hi, just got back. this place is amazing .spotless,113 horses.,u can ride as many times as you like.. stable tours..really fun.. private zoo, all you can eat, the haunted house cool scary,.,indoor warer park, spa, lounge ,wine tasting.free passes for apple picking ,great service.. all inclusive . my grandchildren 3 and 6 didnt want to leave
booked for next year halloween. i highly reco this amazing place and know it will be my new fall vacation for years to come... cant wait to go back..reverend francine decicco

Room Tip: get the bunk beds kids will love it..
Reviewed 26 October 2011

RHR has become a family tradition and we've been going every year. The staff go out of their way to ensure that your stay is memorable, from booking the reservation to the minute we left, there was not one person who was not willing to do whatever was necessary to make it a wonderful weekend. RHR is the most family friendly resort I have seen and I do travel extensively. I am always impressed with what the price actually includes. The trail ride on Sunday morning was breath taking and I am thrilled to say that my 7yr old and I could experience her first trail ride together at RHR. The rooms are spacious and clean and the pending updates will make them even better, although we spent very little time in the room. we have 2 trips booked to return and look forward to more memories at this wonderful place.

1  Thank Liz L
Reviewed 26 October 2011

My kids are second generation Rocking Horse Ranchers. I have such fond memories of the place growing up that I want my kids to have the same experience.
We jut returned from our 7th annual trip and cannot say enough good things about RHR. Our group keeps growing and it's all due to the wonderful experiences we have there. The are many activities to participate in, i.e., horseback riding, indoor water park, campfire, pie eating contest. Yes, it sounds hooky, but the laughs and enjoyment are plentiful! One of my favorite activities is to watch the horses turn out in the evening. It's beautiful sight!
The place is very kid friendly and very safe. The kids can have their freedom there to go to the lake, bungee jumping, etc. There is always staff around to help with the activities.
The food is surprisingly good. Three meals a day with all the obligatory children's choices as well as adult choices. There was a wine tasting event the when we were there - YUM!
The staff is very helpful. Dealing with groups our size is challenging. Whether it's making reservations or accommodating a need, the staff makes it seem effortless. They are unbelievable!
I cannot say enough good things about Rocking Horse. Just go and experience the fun for yourself!
and accommodating everyone seems effortless

Room Tip: Rooms in the main lodge are most desirable. Especially on the 2nd floor so you don't hear people above you.
1  Thank Linda P
Reviewed 25 October 2011

When one conjures up images of a "Ranch", they picture dirt roads and a "bareback" atmosphere. However, when you arrive at the "Rocking Horsed Ranch", you get something a bit different, something better. My husband, my nephew and his wife, and I joined a group of 8 other friends to enjoy the ranch's "Halloween Extravaganza" in October. The first thing that greeted us was a "horse caravan" crossing the road. These beautiful beasts were amazing to look at, and you could see children at the resort giggle with delight while watching the horses march across the road.

While you did get the undeniable "aroma" of a dude ranch outside, That is were the "ranch" part ended, and luxury took over. The beautifully appointed grounds were wonderful to walk through, and the lake on property was breathtaking. Paddle boats and canoes are available to guests, and the resort boasts indoor and outdoor pools, not to mention an additional water park which we will be sure to visit next summer. The indoor pool at the ranch has a cool twisty slide, one I would not try, but more adventurous minded folks would!

Our evening included dinner in the lovely and appropriately appointed dining room. Our dinner included a ceasar salad and rolls and an appetizer. I had the chicken fried chicken with snow peas,baked potato and gravy, other quests had either the prime rib or the grilled salmon, all of which was served quickly and tasted wonderful! The dessert area is a whole other event, with half of the length of the dining room housing tables filled with every type of goody desired by dessert-o-philes. Apple pie, cheese cake, chocolate mousse cakes, just to name but a few of the temptations there. Every type of cookie imaginable was displayed, as well as ice cream stations, fruit area, and of course ,the Pièce de résistance, a chocolate fountain!

After dinner, we walked to the haunted house, which included a corn maze, and of course, a crazed chain saw owner out for blood! Upon exiting, the staff took our picture and led us to the area to catch our hay ride. This quick ride up the mountain left us by the lake once again, where we enjoyed a bonfire and camp fire songs accompanied by a guitar playing gentleman. Marshmallows were roasted, and much fun was had.

The evening ended wonderfully for us all, having enjoyed all that the ranch had to offer for this special event. There was a disco event afterwards, but we were too tired to continue on. For the price we paid, it was way more than I expected. A pleasant surprise you don't get this often in our current economy when most venues are cutting back, the Rocking Horse Ranch seems to give more than you expect.

The staff are wonderful, I really can't say enough about the great people who make this establishment what it is, which is simply a five star get away. Don't miss this gem in the Catskill's lower Ulster County area. It is a must for families with young children or for those looking for a romantic getaway

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends