1,676 results
All reviews horseback riding snow tubing fun barn paddle boats family resort pony rides the main lodge girl scout weekend ping pong bungee jumping great family vacation all inclusive resort nightly entertainment single parent shows at night indoor pool banana boat
Reviewed 26 October 2011

My kids are second generation Rocking Horse Ranchers. I have such fond memories of the place growing up that I want my kids to have the same experience.
We jut returned from our 7th annual trip and cannot say enough good things about RHR. Our group keeps growing and it's all due to the wonderful experiences we have there. The are many activities to participate in, i.e., horseback riding, indoor water park, campfire, pie eating contest. Yes, it sounds hooky, but the laughs and enjoyment are plentiful! One of my favorite activities is to watch the horses turn out in the evening. It's beautiful sight!
The place is very kid friendly and very safe. The kids can have their freedom there to go to the lake, bungee jumping, etc. There is always staff around to help with the activities.
The food is surprisingly good. Three meals a day with all the obligatory children's choices as well as adult choices. There was a wine tasting event the when we were there - YUM!
The staff is very helpful. Dealing with groups our size is challenging. Whether it's making reservations or accommodating a need, the staff makes it seem effortless. They are unbelievable!
I cannot say enough good things about Rocking Horse. Just go and experience the fun for yourself!
and accommodating everyone seems effortless

Room Tip: Rooms in the main lodge are most desirable. Especially on the 2nd floor so you don't hear people above you.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Linda P
Reviewed 25 October 2011

When one conjures up images of a "Ranch", they picture dirt roads and a "bareback" atmosphere. However, when you arrive at the "Rocking Horsed Ranch", you get something a bit different, something better. My husband, my nephew and his wife, and I joined a group of 8 other friends to enjoy the ranch's "Halloween Extravaganza" in October. The first thing that greeted us was a "horse caravan" crossing the road. These beautiful beasts were amazing to look at, and you could see children at the resort giggle with delight while watching the horses march across the road.

While you did get the undeniable "aroma" of a dude ranch outside, That is were the "ranch" part ended, and luxury took over. The beautifully appointed grounds were wonderful to walk through, and the lake on property was breathtaking. Paddle boats and canoes are available to guests, and the resort boasts indoor and outdoor pools, not to mention an additional water park which we will be sure to visit next summer. The indoor pool at the ranch has a cool twisty slide, one I would not try, but more adventurous minded folks would!

Our evening included dinner in the lovely and appropriately appointed dining room. Our dinner included a ceasar salad and rolls and an appetizer. I had the chicken fried chicken with snow peas,baked potato and gravy, other quests had either the prime rib or the grilled salmon, all of which was served quickly and tasted wonderful! The dessert area is a whole other event, with half of the length of the dining room housing tables filled with every type of goody desired by dessert-o-philes. Apple pie, cheese cake, chocolate mousse cakes, just to name but a few of the temptations there. Every type of cookie imaginable was displayed, as well as ice cream stations, fruit area, and of course ,the Pièce de résistance, a chocolate fountain!

After dinner, we walked to the haunted house, which included a corn maze, and of course, a crazed chain saw owner out for blood! Upon exiting, the staff took our picture and led us to the area to catch our hay ride. This quick ride up the mountain left us by the lake once again, where we enjoyed a bonfire and camp fire songs accompanied by a guitar playing gentleman. Marshmallows were roasted, and much fun was had.

The evening ended wonderfully for us all, having enjoyed all that the ranch had to offer for this special event. There was a disco event afterwards, but we were too tired to continue on. For the price we paid, it was way more than I expected. A pleasant surprise you don't get this often in our current economy when most venues are cutting back, the Rocking Horse Ranch seems to give more than you expect.

The staff are wonderful, I really can't say enough about the great people who make this establishment what it is, which is simply a five star get away. Don't miss this gem in the Catskill's lower Ulster County area. It is a must for families with young children or for those looking for a romantic getaway

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Buffykins
Reviewed 24 October 2011

I was asked by Rocking Horse Ranch to write a review. Maybe they shouldn't have asked me.

I heard the ranch has been renovated since I visited, so hopefully the rooms are more "soundproof". Children running up and down hallways unattended at all hours of the night. No sleep because of the running and jumping upstairs. Room next to hours had unattended young children knocking on the connecting door and turning the handle for what seemed like hours. I guess the parents were having a good time at the bar. The food was marginal. No...that is being kind...it was bad.... I had a teenager with me, and short of riding horses there was really nothing else for her to do. You either ride horses or see a show, if old enough you drink...that's it. The hayride was nice. I did visit in November, so the outdoor pool and lake were closed and no skiing as there was no snow. Management is rude, when you can find someone that is. It was freezing out at night, but the lifeguard at the indoor pool kept the side-door open, presumably because he was hot. So, when we got out of the pool we froze. All in all, I don't regret going, it was nice to get away for a few days, but I doubt I will return.

Room Tip: Main building is noisier than outside buildings, but if going in cold weather, it's the warmest spot if going to the pool.
  • Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank DCtravelgrl
rockinghorseranch, Owner at Rocking Horse Ranch Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2011

DCtravelgrl,

Thank you for your comments. I noticed you stayed with us about a year ago.

We have made many noticeable improvements since your stay, including new Simmons Plush Top Mattresses in every single guest room, upgraded entertainment, daily snacks, treats and cocktail parties. Chef has built a new culinary team that takes great pride in our dining services and we have seen positive feedback as a result.

For your daughter, we have developed better teen oriented activities as well. In the evening, (when teens really seem to come to life) our staff members host different activities and events. Whether it's teen Dodge Ball (a teen hit, indoor or out), video game tournaments or the teen dance club, we're aiming for "non-bored" teens!

Regarding the evening noise issues, we have made significant improvements in our night time policies to ensure a more relaxing and quiet evening for everyone.

I certainly wish we would have had the opportunity to meet and discuss while you were still staying with us.

To help us meet guest expectations, I would love to discuss with you your stay with us last November. Please call me when you have a moment. I would love to talk! (800) 647-2624. Thank you again for your contribution and in helping us improve the guest experience at Rocking Horse.

Regards,
Steve Turk, Owner and President

Reviewed 24 October 2011

Well, for the 12th year (2x a year) I am bringing a group of single parents to the Rocking Horse Ranch for a weekend and looking forward to it.

I don;t believe I have written a review, so here it is a little late.

As I said, it has been 12 years and aside from the occasional bout of bad weather, we always have a great time. The Ranch is always adding something--renovating the rooms, adding a "spa" (ok that may be a bit of a stretch but single moms like it), the indoor water park, bungee jumping, etc. There is rarely any time to be bored which is ideal for the kids.

The food is a surprise. While one expects a bit of blandness in this type of place, it is really quite the opposite. I hear the CIA (Culinary Institute of America) uses it as a training ground, and it shows. Entrees are quite unique (along with the staples), breakfast can be made to order (or buffet), and lunch is a buffet. Drinks in the bars are dirt cheap.

The trail rides are great as well and a huge hit with the kids. My daughter loves it and just gets off one horse and on to the next. I do recommend taking a tour of the barn to see how they handle 200 horses and watching them cross the street in the evenings (yes, it sounds like watching grass growing, but it is a great sight --especially with a glass of wine).

As I said we have done this as a group and working with reservations has been seamless and without a hitch. We do go in the off season so never get to experience the skiing, outdoor pool or the lake--other than paddle boats, but it has never been an issue!

Sure over the years there have been some minor issues, but management has always been VERY responsive.

Room Tip: Stay in the main lodge. The Oklahoma building is a bit detached and rooms are smaller.
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank John F
Reviewed 14 October 2011

I just finished a stay at the RHR and I was amazed by the qualty of the facility. I now live in Texas in the DFW metroplex and can't think of anyplace that can compare to the RHR. Being able to offer horseback riding, lodging,dining, and a wonderfully landscaped area is a hard task to accomplish. I grew up on a farm in upstate NY and have a degree in agriculture and I know a quality operation, People don't realize how hard it is to keep 1 horse, let alone several that are rideable and to actually be able to get children near them is an awesome accomplishment, Well done.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple