“Dining with Family”

Ranked #3 of 24 Restaurants in Hammondsport
Price range: US$ 9 - US$ 32
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Gastropub
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: We are a family owned European style bar, restaurant and inn offering an exceptionally warm and cozy atmosphere with award winning food and beverages. Proud to have been awarded "Restaurant of the Year" and to have received the "Award of Excellence" yearly from the Wine Spectator. Located one block from Keuka Lake, on the picturesque Village Square of Hammondsport, The Village Tavern is an excellent choice for dining and lodging when touring the wineries or visiting other local places of interest.Our specialties include a large selection of fresh fish and seafood like fresh mussels, clams, and oysters. We also serve a wonderful selection of steaks, prime rib, chicken, pasta, vegetarian dishes, gluten free and salads. To please the demanding connoisseur, we also have an extensive and tantalizing beer and wine list. And when you stay with us in one of our rooms or our vacation rentals you have all the comforts of home!
Reviewed 21 October 2017 via mobile

We decided to wait here when the wait for another restaurant was 1 hour long as we had a group of 10 to feed. We were quickly seated in the back room as the front tables were all full. Our waiter Phillip was outstanding. He was courteous, very customer focused and hustled. With a party of 10, having a great waiter was important. The mussels appetizer and spinach dip were excellent. I ordered the beer battered fish fry and they state it’s the best in the area. I don’t normally order fish fry, but did since I was back in the area. The fish was cooked perfectly, the problem was it was room temperature. The reason may have been because the size of our party and the restaurant was packed. This is my only complaint.

Reviewed 20 October 2017

A quiet night with great food. I looked at the menu online and wasn’t too excited.
We got to the restaurant and I thought - decision time. Kind of menu we like, small.
For apps we had the fish chowder, full bodied and delicious, the best onion soupI have tasted to date and beets with chèvre and a little arugula with a house made vinagarette.
Excellent first course.foe entrees, gnocchi with a cheese filling; very light, really gnocchi pillows accompanied by a light cream sauce and grilled chicken. The beauty in this dish was just enough of the cream sauce. Very flavorful.
An order of shrimp jambalaya, spicy for bro Tom was incredible. Again the rice wasn’t overdone or soggy from the tomatoes and broth, another home run. I enjoy spice, a little too much cayenne for me but not him!!
I wanted a meat dish and opted for the lamb Osso Bucco over garlic mashed and a delicious au jus. Lamb was very tender, fell off the bone with a little help from my fork.
NO room for dessert!
Granted it was a slow night, the chef did an outstanding job given he had three very different cuisines’s. Alex our server was great. I’m assuming this is a chef owner restaurant because he pays attention to detail and the food was great.
I cannot attest what it would be like when it’s peak season and a full house but my bet is that it will just as good.

Reviewed 18 October 2017

Had great dinner here on visit to Keuka lake. Great beers, good food, very good service, good prices.

Reviewed 16 October 2017

The Village Tavern has a welcoming staff; great food prepared by Chef Ken and the best Wine tasting adventure guided by Suzanne. Mike and Will at the Bar kept my glass full. Staff made me feel right at home. I will return soon.

Reviewed 16 October 2017 via mobile

We arrived at dinner time on a Saturday night with a group of 6 with no reservations. Gentleman was pleasant and accommodating offering us an outdoor table. It was a bit cool but comfortable. Our server was pleasant and personable the menu was diverse and food was very good. Loved the French Onion Soup. An extensive selection of beer. The wine list was good, as well but surprised it didn’t have as much local wines, considering the region.

A nice surprise was when the owner sat at the table next to ours to take a coffee break. She was engaging!

VillageTavern, Owner at Village Tavern Restaurant and Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2017

Thank you so much for dining with us! We love our customers. I wanted to let you know that we have over 277 local New York State bottles of wine on our list, over 30 by the glass and we are proud to have been awarded the Wine Spectator's "Award of Excellence" yearly since 1995. We love food, beer, wine and our guests!