“Many happy memories”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Greenport
Silver Sands Motel & Beach Cottages
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Greenport
Reviewed 10 July 2011

We have been going to Silver Sands for many years; three generations of my family have enjoyed the warmth and hospitality of three generations of the Silver Sands family. The motel and cottages, though simple , are always spotlessly clean. The linens are a fine quality and not what you'd expect to find in a beach cottage. The pool is in sun and shade, whichever you prefer and a lifeguard is always on duty. The beach occupies a good portion of the shoreline of Pipes Cove,part of the Peconic bay. Look directly across and you'll enjoy a view of Crescent beach on Shelter Island. Look to the East and you can watch the North Ferry Co. shuttle it's precious cargo to and fro(but do it within an hour of the sun's rise for best results; store that image in a safe place-it comes in handy during the long winter months).
But were it not for the efforts of an efficient staff, you'd never appreciate the beauty of Silver Sands. Terry, Jean, Ed and Mike are always available to help make your stay more enjoyable. Once,our boat broke down on the way to Plum Gut for nighttime stripers. we managed to limp into Stirling Harbor. This was well after sunset and we were in a tight spot. Called the office,and Terry drove out to pick us up. They employ good help and train them well. I'm only home a week and can't wait to get back.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank longboard500
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Silver Sands Motel & Beach Cottages

Reviewed 27 June 2011

Well, I read the reviews on this site and thought this place will be a good choice for a relaxing weekend in Greenport. Boy, how was I wrong! I called the place well in advance, in March, to make a reservation for June, received a reservation confirmation letter and thought I was all set.... BUT on the day when me and my friend were scheduled to arrive, I get a phone call from the owner, who tells me that since we are arriving past 10 pm, they cannot accommodate us.... Nowhere in their confirmation letter did it say that we have to arrive before 10 pm, and no one warned me over the phone... The owner tells me over the phone that there is no way that they could wait for an hour for us to arrive, and we have to go to a different hotel... They even found us a place. So we go to that place and spend a night there. It was a nice hotel, BUT absolutely not what we were looking for, outside the city and very noisy. So, in the morning I call the Silver Sands to tell them that we want to come and spend our second reserved day there... but, shockingly, they don't even want to talk to us! The owner doesn't pick up the phone, and her male assistant tells us that our room was rented out... and then he adds: "Don't call us again!" and hangs up the phone on me.... Now, this is what I call "hospitality"! Never ever in my life have I heard of a hotel not honoring its reservation, and/or relocating its guests somewhere else without consent... Would definitely stay far away from this place!

Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
13  Thank RMimoza
Reviewed 5 April 2011

Just rented one of there cottages on the water. What a wonderful and peaceful view. Jean runs the hotel and is so helpful and cant do enough for you. Loved ever minute we were there - hated to leave. Nice place for a few days away.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 March 2011

Hello! My family & I stayed at The Silver Sands Motel in July 2010! We were recommended this motel by friends of ours. I must say that the women running the motel named Jean is the sweetest lady you'll meet. She does a great job of making sure you feel comfortable during your stay and goes out of her way to get you anything you might have forgotten to bring along! We stayed in cottage number 33 that had a full kitchen, bathroom. 2 bedrooms, living/dining area with extra single beds if needed. We were able to have the children play in the huge yard/beach which was awesome. The cottage was located right by the pool which was great for us and the kids! Though I must say there was only one lifeguard watching over the pool area. This did indeed surprise me very much considering there were more young children than adults to watch. I did also notice that the lifeguard was not very focused and friendly, my husband and I were upset that we were doing more watching of the kids, then catching some rays... Other than that we all had a fantastic time and will be returning this summer for another visit of Greenport N.Y

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank xxcaseyduh92xx
Reviewed 18 October 2010

We keep coming back to Silver Sands!

Like many of the other reviewers, I have returned to this property for many years. Every October since 2001, an old college friend and I stay for a “girls’ week” in a wonderful 2-bedroom cottage at Silver Sands that now seems like home. My family has also had many long-weekend family reunions here. I love the ‘60s décor reminiscent of my childhood, and the cottage is cleaner than any hotel I’ve have every stayed at! The cottage is also well-equipped with oodles of fluffy white towels, a completely supplied kitchen, and a nice breakfast tray is left every morning.

The long white sandy beach is a treasure-trove of shells, and I love walking down by the nature preserve to see the osprey nests. Each cottage is supplied with a picnic table and barbecue, and there are lots of comfortable beach chairs available. “Our” cottage even has a fireplace!

The owners, Jean and Eddie, take magnificent care of us, and have become friends. Because we take the train to Greenport and do not have a car, Eddie transports us to and from the train station on request, and is always offering us rides to town. We find the location an easy (1-mile) walking distance into Greenport Village for shopping and restaurants, and the local S92 bus is handy for anywhere else we need to go on the North Fork.

We hope to return to this wonderful place for many many years to come!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Greenport
1.8 km away
24.2 km away
The Duncan Inn
The Duncan Inn
#1 of 1 in Jamesport

Been to Silver Sands Motel & Beach Cottages? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK