We have been going to Silver Sands for many years; three generations of my family have enjoyed the warmth and hospitality of three generations of the Silver Sands family. The motel and cottages, though simple , are always spotlessly clean. The linens are a fine quality and not what you'd expect to find in a beach cottage. The pool is in sun and shade, whichever you prefer and a lifeguard is always on duty. The beach occupies a good portion of the shoreline of Pipes Cove,part of the Peconic bay. Look directly across and you'll enjoy a view of Crescent beach on Shelter Island. Look to the East and you can watch the North Ferry Co. shuttle it's precious cargo to and fro(but do it within an hour of the sun's rise for best results; store that image in a safe place-it comes in handy during the long winter months).
But were it not for the efforts of an efficient staff, you'd never appreciate the beauty of Silver Sands. Terry, Jean, Ed and Mike are always available to help make your stay more enjoyable. Once,our boat broke down on the way to Plum Gut for nighttime stripers. we managed to limp into Stirling Harbor. This was well after sunset and we were in a tight spot. Called the office,and Terry drove out to pick us up. They employ good help and train them well. I'm only home a week and can't wait to get back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- "DIRTY DANCING meets THE FLAMINGO KID" - NEW YORK MAGAZINE, April 2007The Silver Sands Motel and Beach Cottages was established in 1961 on 40 unspoiled acres on Peconic Bay in Greenport, facing Shelter Island. We are a quiet getaway for beach and nature lovers, and their families, and have been for generations. Our rooms and cottages all have microwaves, mini-fridges, television, AC, and some have efficiency units as well as full kitchens. We are set off the beaten-path in Greenport, down a wooded road on the beach and are adjacent to 18 acres of pristine wetlands. Over the last half-century, we have been host to families, couples, studio film shoots, major fashion shoots, and have been featured in the NEW YORK TIMES, NEW YORK MAGAZINE, THE NEW YORKER, TIME-OUT, TRAVEL & LEISURE, and NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC TRAVEL MAGAZINE. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Silver Sands Motel And Beach Cottages
- Silver Sands Motel & Beach Cottages Hotel Greenport
- Silver Sands Hotel Beach
- Silver Sands Motel & Beach Cottages Greenport, NY - Long Island