“Good but not great.”
Review of Los Panchos

Los Panchos
Ranked #23 of 114 Restaurants in Elmira
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Three of us had dinner there mid week. Service was very good. Chips and salsa came instantly and drinks soon followed. We ordered a pitcher of margaritas which was good but rather pricey at 30 dollars. Our orders came quickly and were just what we asked for. Food is good but not great. Salsa is quite watery and not particularly flavorful. With a little more effort I think this place could be a gold mine. A salsa bar with an assortment of help-yourself salsas of various types would be a big improvement. Not everyone likes spicy food but some HOT would be appreciated by those folks who do.

Reviewed 1 April 2018

My wife and I were driving back from NYC to Toronto and becoming hungry- we wanted something spicy- and decided on Mexican- being close to Elmira NY we punched Mexican into the GPS and came up with Los Panchos which is about a mile and a half off of the Interstate. It was on Good Friday about 5:00pm when we went in and it was already becoming filled. The waitress was good and friendly and dealing with a lot of tables. Nice Mexican Beer selection including my favorite- Pacifico. More authentic than most Mexican restaurants We had combination platters with most items either excellent or very good- We had the Plato Mexicano with Taco, beef Flauta, Quesadilla, cheese enchilada and re-fried beans and rice. The only thing I found wanting was the rice- There were generous portions and with two bottles of beer and a glass of wine dinner for two was $45.00 including tax. It was a very satisfying meal. So if you're looking for something other than the usual suspects on I86 and NY 17 in Elmira NY this is well worth the stop.

Reviewed 4 February 2018 via mobile

One of my FAVORITE places to have dinner! From chimichangas, to fajita burritos, and everything in between. We finally had enough room for dessert last time and OH MY... the fried ice cream is fantastic! So nice to have another local option for great food that’s reasonably priced! Highly recommend!

Reviewed 4 February 2018 via mobile

We first ordered the guacamole dip, which tasted like the guacamole was from a premix bag or can, not fresh at all. The chips and salsa were pretty good, salsa not overly flavorful. For dinner, we ordered the beef chunk burrito and chimichanga which were really good. We also ordered the chicken fajitas and veggie fajitas which were terrible. The chicken was not fresh, it was the cheap frozen bagged chicken. The veggie fajita was definitely made from the frozen veggie bags that they sell at Sams club. The refried beans were terrible and were definitely from a can. The rice was just ok. Won’t be going back any time soon. Gave this meal three stars for the burrito, chimichanga and service. The rest was a one.

Reviewed 14 September 2017 via mobile

My husband and I went to Los Panchos for supper last night. It is in a corner building on Water Street. I'm not sure how long it has been there, but until I saw it on this site I didn't know about it. Others seemed to know about it because the one dining room was filling up while we were there.
We were greeted right away. The lady was very nice and took us to a booth. The seats were slightly torn and the A/C vent that is on the floor was blowing right on me. I put my sweater on and the nice lady saw hat and asked if we wanted to move to a table. I thanked her, but we stayed where we were.

We were brought chips and salsa right away. The salsa is in no way spicy and certainly not the best I've ever had. Our drink order and then our food order we're both taken in a timely manner. I ordered the first dinner combination, La Mexicana, and my husband ordered the second one. I can't remember the name of that one. Both dinners came with rice and beans and we had the option of mild, medium or hot sauce that came on the side. We both picked medium. After having the very mild salsa we probably should have picked hot. Their wasn't much pico to it. Now, having lived in Mexico City when I was younger, I recall that Mexicans, at least back then, really didn't spice the food up that much.

As for the meals, they were okay. The taco was great, reminding me of my Mexico days. The cheese quesadilla was a flour tortilla with cheese, onions and green peppers in it, folded together. One combo had a beef enchilada. That wasn't too bad. The chile relleno that came with the other combo really was greasy. There was absolutely no taste to it. The beef flauta that came with each meal was good.

To wrap it up, I'm not sure that I would go here again. The reason for this thought is that the food wasn't as good as I had hoped. There is another Mexican restaurant not too far away that I have frequented many times (as Mexican is absolutely my favorite food) and would probably go to instead.