Free cancellation until 29/07
US$ 101
US$ 91
Angola Motel(Angola)(Great Value!)
US$ 95
All reviewsroom was cleanoutdoor poolwindjammer restaurantfamily reunionviews of lake erienice stayshort drivenew yorktim
Reviewed 2 February 2017

My husband made reservations for a King room, when he asked for late check out they told him we had to switch to a queen double due to them having only 9 king rooms. My husband had just driven 9 hours so he wasn't in the mood to debate.

The room we were in was horrid!! The carpet smelled, it was Wet! The heat was not adequate and we weren't even on the lake side of hotel. The linens looked like they had been used since the 1960's.

We went to the restaurant in the hotel for dinner, we ordered one of the 2 specials, prime rib smothered with mushrooms over a bed of mashed. It took over 1 1/2 hours to get the meal and the mashed potatoes on husband's plate were ice cold. I asked to have mine separate and never received mine. The waitress apologized and said the kitchen was having problems. Lets just say it was not worth the price, we had to pay extra for a salad and after sitting there waiting so long for dinner I wasn't interested in dessert taking the same amount of time.

My husband conducted a training class at the facility, you would think their sale department would have made sure we were somewhat taken care of. He paid for the room rental and food for 40 people. He set up in the room and then was told they moved him to another room. Where there was a very small old projection screen, he was told they had new ones, but they didn't offer it. Now after over $1,000 spent for his meeting. All I could think was they don't care.

When I went to check out our room rate was the same as the king, I asked and was told by front desk and manager that all rooms were the same rate, I immediately looked on line and "amazingly" they are not. But I wasn't going to pick a fight while my husband was training in next to lobby conference room. How dumb does management think people are, have they never realized people see through their lies. Along with checking rates I also checked that there were still 6 king rooms available when I checked out.

I also want to add don't even believe what they say about their WIFI, if you can even connect, it keeps dropping because their signal anywhere in hotel is way to weak.

If you can stay anywhere else or conduct business anywhere else. DO NOT GO HERE!!

Room Tip: Don't go here if you possibly can find somewhere else.
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Rosanne F
Amanda A, Guest Relations Manager at Clarion Hotel Dunkirk, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2017

Dear Guest,
It is unfortunate to hear that you were unsatisfied with your experience at our hotel. We apologize for failing to exceed your expectations and will use your feedback to ensure that our staff is providing the best service they can and to make any necessary changes.

We do only have 9 standard King Rooms which were all sold the day you checked out. We do have other King Suites that you might have seen on the internet. Check-out is at 11 am and we allowed you to check out late with no extra charge with the agreement that you would need to switch to a standard room. I do apologize that your stay was unsatisfying, we could have switched your room for you had you of asked for a different room, however that was the only room available on the bottom floor as requested. The rates for each room type is different normally, however with the Discounted rate you were given, there is no difference in price between Lake-View, Non-Lake-View, and Standard Kings as it was explained to you upon check-out.

We appreciate the feedback as it provides us with the information needed to correct problems and improve the services we offer our guests. We hope to have the opportunity to provide accommodations for you in the future and show you how your remarks were used constructively.

Reviewed 12 January 2017 via mobile

Food from the previous guest was left in the fridge. Room reeked of offputting disinfectant. Elderly bartender was an idiot and wait staff was much more interested in socializing than doing their jobs. When we called them out, we were ghosted. Do not stay here.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jen51184
Amanda A, Guest Relations Manager at Clarion Hotel Dunkirk, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2017

Dear Guest,
We are very sorry you were dissatisfied with your stay at our hotel. The inconveniences you experienced at our hotel does not represent the level of service we strive to provide. We appreciate your feedback, as it provides us with the information needed to correct problems and improve the services we offer our guests. We hope to have the opportunity to provide accommodations for you in the future and show you how your remarks were used constructively.

Reviewed 4 January 2017

While our room was fine and the hot breakfast was good, I did not enjoy the night I spent at this Clarion Hotel. I checked in and told the desk clerk I was happy to see a lounge right next to the desk...as we had a horrible drive in snow and ice and I could really use a drink. I told her I would just drop off my things in the room first. When I got back to the lounge 10 minutes later (right off the lobby and right across from the clerk) she told me "they just closed the bar because there was no one here". I was so disappointed (kind of angry, actually). She could have called my room and told me to hurry ( we were not far down the hall) or she could have told the bartender I was coming back....she did neither. AND she did not in any way apologize when I was so upset to have missed getting drink after such an awful day.....she told me I could "get a soda pop from the machines"!
I also had a very hard time the first time I used the toilet in my bathroom. I had not even thought about it when I sat down...but the toilet paper was a good 3 1/2 feel from the toilet. I almost fell off trying to reach it! I have never seen this before in all my many years of travel and it was ridiculous.
There was also someone in an adjoining room whose TV was on all night and very loud and my husband did not get much sleep at all. He actually gave up and got up at at 5:30 when we did not plan to be up until 8:30. He ended up sitting in an empty lobby. I wear ear plugs, so I was not awakened by the TV this time.
All in all, we will not be going back to this hotel. I did pass on these problems to them and they say they are sorry. Not helpful. They need to have more caring and devoted staff...at least at the front desk. This can make a huge difference in anyone's stay.

Room Tip: No way to know when the next door neighbor will have TV on loud all night and keep you awake!
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
2  Thank pennypit
Reviewed 6 December 2016

My daughters college team booked this hotel for a college swim meet. I did not attend her freshman year, sophomore year my room was so awful, I had to be moved (no heat or working phone in the room). This was also the same year I witnessed a baptism in the hot tub. Junior year they closed off the pool and moved the workout room to a hotel room and had very spars equipment. One treadmill in the workout room was actually non functional. This year, house keeping forgot to clean our room and replace used coffee/glass ware. I had to turn in all used glasses to receive new. The shower button to choose between shower or bath was frozen in place so our only option was 1/2 shower 1/2 tub (very hard to wash my hair). The place is basically dingy and old. Beds, chairs all stained. Doors all chipped, grunge in all corners......not a fun place and glad we don't have to go back.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled on business
Amanda A, Guest Relations Manager at Clarion Hotel Dunkirk, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2016

Dear Guest,
On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for such an unpleasant stay with us. It was very disappointing to read about the problems you have encountered on our property. Your feedback has been shared with our staff members and changes will be made to ensure we maintain a higher quality and for any future improvements needed in the rooms. If you would be able to e-mail me with your information and the room you stayed in recently, I would appreciate it. This provides us with the information needed to correct problems and improve the services we offer our guests. My e-mail is: gm.ny243@choicehotels.com.
Amanda

Reviewed 14 November 2016

Lobby and hallways were nice. Opened the door to our room and it smelled of cigarette smoke masked with some sort of air freshener. It was not pleasant. I should have looked at the room description better but it didn't have a small fridge which was disappointing. Beds were comfortable, carpet had many stains on it and you could tell the room was used a lot. The woodwork was banged up and the window sills were weathered. It wasn't a horrible place to stay but for a Clarion and the price I was disappointed in being given a smokers room with the promise of non-smoking. Won't stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled with family
Amanda A, Guest Relations Manager at Clarion Hotel Dunkirk, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2016

Karen,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at our hotel. I am sorry you were disappointed on this occasion, and I apologize for any inconvenience or discomfort you experienced. We could have switched your room upon arrival had we of known. Our rooms do not have fridges or microwaves in them, I am very sorry. I will share your comments with upper management to ensure any necessary improvements. We hope you will consider this an isolated incident and that you will give us another opportunity to provide accommodations for you in the future.