See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 25 September 2014

I wanted to like this place but it needs so much to make it a great place. Its a shame becaue it really is right on the lake with a nice beach. The cabins haven't been updated since the 70's. I realize its a cabin on the lake but I'm talking the couches are from the 1970's. Instead of getting new ones he just covered them with couch covers from the 80's. The playground set is decrepit with missing steps and my kids got a million splinters. The owner is creepy who is obsessed with catching you doing something wrong. If you ask him for garbage bags he only will give you 2 at a time so you have to make 8 trips for the whole week. I asked him for the wifi password 4 times and each time he said he would get it to me later? I never got it. I went to the blue lagoon next door and they happily gave me their wifi password and said I could use their washer and dryer. It seems like the only people who like this place are the ones who came here as kids and now bring their own. In other words, it has pure sentimental value. Not true value. If the owner just put a little money into the place, it could be great. Sorry. We will not be back

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank pwheel
Reviewed 7 September 2013

We stayed at Mt. Knoll the last week of August 2013. It was a last minute booking when our other rental fell through. It was a stroke of luck that Mt. Knoll had a cancellation and we were able to get one of the cottages down on the lawn by the beach.

The cottages are quite dated but cute and immaculately clean with nice porches and views of the lake. The kitchen is well-appointed for basic cooking, and there's heat and A/C if needed. The cabins sit back from a lovely, sandy beach perfect for children as the swimming area is 3 feet deep at the deepest end. There are kayaks and robots there for guests to use.

This is a beautiful spot, although you should be aware that there are other hotels/cottages on either side, which means a fair amount of people down at the beach and the possibility of some outdoor noise in the evenings. It didn't bother us, but if you don't know the area you might be surprised at how built up it is all along the shore. Our children loved meeting the other families and playing with the other kids.

Of all the places in the area, Mt. Knoll has by far the nicest beach and the smallest number of guests on the beach. It's virtually empty compared to other places.

Michael, the owner, works tirelessly to keep the cottages and grounds in perfect condition. He's also on hand with advice/tips about the area, to help start the evening campfire, or just to see if you need anything. Terrific management and service.

The cabins do need an upgrade when it comes to the mattresses and the living room couches. Very uncomfortable. Other than that, I'd have to say this place is just perfect. We would stay there again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Cabin 1 is closest to the lake and has the nicest porch and view, but they're all great.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Daisynyc
Reviewed 3 July 2013

We discovered Mt. Knoll Beach Cottages on Tripadvisor and made a last minute reservation for the third week of June which is before the busy season. It was like stepping back in time. The cabin was immaculate and the screened porch was the best. If you are looking for a simple relaxing atmosphere, this is the place to go. We will be back next year. Thanks Mike

Room Tip: Bring your own pillows and additional egg crates for the bed and don't forget to bring beach towels.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sue V
Reviewed 16 September 2012

Last weekend we had the good fortune to find Mt. Knoll Beach Cottages to stay. We were looking for a really nice, quiet weekend amidst the hustle and bustle of the car show in Lake George. The cottages were so nice, extremely clean, and well taken care of. Probably the cleanest that we've ever come across. Mike, the manager/owner was so accommodating to all our needs, he went above and beyond to make us feel welcome. We had an excellent experience and are already talking about returning next year!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank James T
Reviewed 31 July 2012

I first came to Mt Knoll as a young child with my family back in the mid 1960's. We rented a cottage every summer for about 10 years. We have many great memories of our summers at Lake George. After getting married and starting a family I wanted to create those same type of memories with my children. I first took my family to Mt Knoll in 1992 and have not missed a summer since (21 years and counting). Both of my sisters as well as my parents come the same week (we take three cottages) and the whole family gets to spend the week together at the lake. The view of the mountains is breathtaking! One of the best features of Mt Knoll is the large beach and the shallow swimming area; ideal for small children. With only 10 cottages on the property the beach and swim areas are never crowded. They have kayaks, rowboats, shuffleboard, ping pong, volleyball, a jungle gym, swings and a large lawn where we play bocce, kickball, wiffle ball and Frisbee. There is nothing better than a dip in the lake after an early morning walk or an afternoon volleyball game. At night we cook hot dogs and marshmallows lakeside by the fire. We look forward to seeing the same families return year after year. Lake George Village is only 3 miles to the south; be sure to get an ice cream from Fat Willies after mini golf or go carts. Bolton Landing is only 10 minutes to the north; be sure to visit Dave's Market in the morning if you are looking for a good bakery and the Algonquin for lunch or dinner on the lake. We have seen three generations of the same family own the property. Michael, the current owner, lives on the property and takes exceptional care of every guest as well as the cottages, the grounds and the beach area. He is always accessible, extremely accomodating and very friendly. On the day we leave my daughters start a countdown to the day we return. Thank you to the Chimiak family for sharing Mt Knoll with us for all these years!!

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family